Want to keep my M8

CdnGolfer

Reaction score
So I think I already know the answer but thought I would take a chance someone can help. I bought a 2010 M8 last spring after riding my husbands 2011. I was riding a 2006 M6 before that and I really like the new sled a lot more. I am not a real aggressive rider but I like having the extra power when the snow gets deeper or when you need to get out of a tight area. Problem is that I can't start the sled. I had no problems starting the M6 and thought that maybe if I worked harder at the gym I could start the M8. So far, no luck. Hubby is willing to start my sled whenever I need but that is not really the point. It works as long as he is always near, but what if he gets stranded and I have to go for help. I wouldn't be much help if I couldn't get my sled started.
I am sure other women ride the M8. Do you have problems pull starting your sled? Are there any tricks that I could use to help me. I am only 5'2" and I am over 50 so I know there are limits to what I can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife can't start her '10 M8 either. Sorry, I have no solution for you. Can't put e-start on them either.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My girl rides a crossfire 800. It's not that your not strong enough. She is smallish too 5'2 130 lb. its the way you pull it makes all the difference. After one year she can start hers all the time now. With your arms straight and back bent slightly forward use your body weight to get to cord to pull out alitlle (kinda like falling back) once it starts to pull the shoulders and arms take over. Once your body weight is timed perfect with your arms and hips its going to go everytime. The problem is most women try to use brute power and not body momentum to get things rolling. Good luck. You can do it

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also try the M1000 recoil and see if you can get it to bolt up to the 800 block.

CdnGolfer

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We are heading out on Saturday and will keep trying. My hubby will look into a bigger recoil. Nice to know there might be a chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

craptabulous

Reaction score
I own a m1000 , It wont help to get a recoil from one . My girlfriend is 6' and she cant pull my m1 .

You need to use your body . Im not sure about a m8 but a m1000 doesnt need to be pulled over fast . Just pull it over slow and do it fully . A full slow pull will go further than a short fast one .

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would also give the m1 recoil a try, wifes 5 foot nuttin and had no problem starting the m1000

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now I feel like a puzzy! Took two of us to start mine the first time every morning! :wacko:

helps if you roll the motor over a couple times slowly, oil on the rings helps a little. My old mod sled big bore, I carried a little propane torch in my kit and on cold mornings I would pop the pipe at the flanges and give it a little heat up the cylinders. Made a big difference pulling that thing over on a cold day. Without heat it was like bench pressing a school bus!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife is 5'2", and could start her M8 by herself. It is all in the technique, she had to use all of her body weight to do it - would kind of "hop off" the running board while pulling the rope. If the machine is cold, roll it over a few times slowly to loosen it up. My M1000 was a two handed pull on cold mornings, start with one hand while seated once running that day. Again, mostly technique. I could tell you her age, but then she'd have to kill me. let's just say neither of us are wet behind the ears... we are well "seasoned" lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom