Vibration Issue...06 RMK 900

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha, no kidding.

Does your sled have the additional SLP torque stop and torque arm? That will make the vibration MUCH more noticeable. My buddy has those on his 06, when I got my 05 this summer, I refused to put those on for the shear reason they make the vibration that much worse. My sled as a result vibrates substantially less than his:eek::eek::eek: and no belt issues as of yet (almost 500 miles so far this season, belt looks great).

It's still a 900 shaker tho, no doubt about it.... amazing the added power the 866 makes over the old 800s tho... gotta love it.:d:d:beer:

To be honest with you.. I dont know much about the sled. Just got it this past weekend, and already know its TOO much sled for me.. hence my signature saying I will trade it down.

There is A LOT of SLP stuff under the hood, cant say if it has the torque stops or torque arms. I was told it has a clutch kit, and it has a fresh top end. Was done the day before I got the sled, he gave me the reciepts.. BIG BILL...ouch !!!!. The sled also can with 1 extra SLP pipe, the stock pipe, stock air box, 2 Kevlar belts and the 1 on it, tarp, and 2 jugs of synthetic oil.

All I know is this sled is INSANE !!!!!

What do I look for to see if I have these torque stops/arms? :d

Last edited:

94fordguy

What do I look for to see if I have these torque stops/arms? :d

The torque stop is a factory looking rubber stop that you will find pushing against the lower front side of the recoil housing (the factory one is on the PTO side hidden behind/above the clutch.

The torque arm is located on the bottom of the motor on the clutch side, it connects the frame to the lower motor case to prevent excessive movement.

94fordguy

That was one of the main complaints of the 900 polaris..... And part of the reason why they were discontinued. Couldn't get the vibration satisfactorily rectified......... Too bad, cuz they run good, when set-up properly....... Maybe bigfoot can add his 2 cents to this thread too??

Absolutely right..... The RAW chassis is so much stiffer, it transmits vibration more and Polaris could not find a way to reduce the vibration, so they ultimately gave up.:( Reliability didn't kill the 900, it was the bad vibes... literally:eek::(

Yup, when properly set-up the 900 flat rocks... I wish I was a better rider to be honest, but I just don't have the balls to ride this thing to it's full potential:eek:;):d But boy it's sure fun to ride anyway:d:d

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The torque stop is a factory looking rubber stop that you will find pushing against the lower front side of the recoil housing (the factory one is on the PTO side hidden behind/above the clutch.

The torque arm is located on the bottom of the motor on the clutch side, it connects the frame to the lower motor case to prevent excessive movement.

Thanks for that bit of info, I will have a look tonight or on the weekend. Hopefully I have them.
I to, wish I was skilled enough to ride this sled in which it was designed to. I ride mostly ditched and fieilds, once in a while up at Swan Hills. Hope I dont kill it!!!!

Last edited:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that bit of info, I will have a look tonight or on the weekend. Hopefully I have them.
I to, wish I was skilled enough to ride this sled in which it was designed to. I ride mostly ditched and fieilds, once in a while up at Swan Hills. Hope I dont kill it!!!!

ive recently bought a 900 (upgrade from the 800) and so far i dont think the vibration is any different than my 800 was .. but i gotta agree with ya the power these things have is insane ... no fear of not getting anywhere just how much you can hang on

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mare did you say it came with two SLP pipes. And if so would you like to sell one of them. :)

It came with 2 extra's as well as the factory one. And YES, I will sell 1, send me a pm with your number and I will get some pictures and send them to you. :d

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine had one and shook like the rest of them. His crank ended up braking off at the case......that was after 2 months. love polaris but bad sled, people either love them or hate them.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 3500 miles on stock crank! mine vibrates but think of it as a stroker. any small block chevy with a stroker kit and a big cam will shake compared to a stock small block. now think a big block with a big cam......it is called power......so the 900 is a stroker since the bore is smaller than a 800 but has a mile and a half of stroke. this engine does not make horsepower it makes Torque! when set up it pulls hard and guys with 200 HP Mod sleds have the power but not the torque. I would rather have the high torque low reving engine, than the no torque (look at how much horse power I have and still cant climb) high buzzing engine! guys think because they have horsepower they can ride but a good rider will jump on a 600 and high mark a 200 HP sled!

the 900 does vibrate but that means it is doing what it was designed to do........and that is build torque! no worse than any older sled! if the vibrating bothers you, you can go down to say a 600! just my 2 cent. oh and I would buy another 900 anyday of the week.

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey overkill131313, just to be clear, they are directly related. HP & torque that is!
"Torque and power are inescapably linked by the fact that horsepower equals torque (in ft-pounds) times RPM divided by 5250...so, If you have a given torque curve for an engine, you have the horsepower curve also."

"Torque is a twisting force applied to an object.. Work is the application of force over a distance.. Power is the application of work within a finite time. 550 ft-lb of work in one second is one horsepower" .. "so, let's first go through the numbers to get from torque to horsepower. Pushing with 87.5 pounds (force) on the end of our 1-foot lug wrench applies a torque of 87.5 lbf-ft. No motion yet, so no work and no power.. turn the wrench by revolutions/time, you get power."

"By the definitions we can see that HP is directly proportional to torque and RPM... (torque * RPM * constant = hp)"

The difference is like you said... RPM,... No RPM no HP. Don't think for 1 second that there isn't torque with high HP. Torque is always there, HP is a calculation of how it gets the work done.

And your right about the rider, if he's good enough, the 600 will be plenty for him on the hill,.... and likely a better challenge over the chute pokin' turbo!
:cool::beer::beer::cool:

guidoxpress

Reaction score
ok..

couple things getting left out here...but all great inputs..

1. Compfusion Motor Mounts are NOT a waste of money..i am good friends with Colin (compfusion) he is an excellent guy and his motor mounts are a work of art..they are prices around $340 for the set (front only) but they WORK WONDERS

2. if you are getting massive vibs, out of the ordinary....you NEED to pull your motor and inspect your front motor mounts..they will look fine visually, but once removed from the engine and put in a vise...stick a screw driver in the hole and slightly pry on them...80%+ of OEM mounts are torn if they have never been replaced...thus causing your motor to twist under load and blow belts..or it will smash up againist the OEM torque stop and the vobration will transfer to the chassis.....check your wiring for frays and re-route it while the engine is out...and check/replace your rear motor mounts as well..

3. if you dont know when your primary was last balanced..it needs done ASAP..this is a HUGE deal and will help save your cranks from blowing

4. if you have the SLP push arm (front side of recoil housing) make sure its NOT butted up againist the motor..there should be a .010" gap....SAME with the OEM torque stop on the PTO side behind the primary..

feel free to email me anytime for help...also feel free to do a search on snowest using my profile name here and you will see my sled build, and lots of good info ;)

sean
guidoxpress@hotmail.com

i can go on for hours with stuff that should be looked at while your in there..but if its vibbing that bad...theres an issue..

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok..

couple things getting left out here...but all great inputs..

1. Compfusion Motor Mounts are NOT a waste of money..i am good friends with Colin (compfusion) he is an excellent guy and his motor mounts are a work of art..they are prices around $340 for the set (front only) but they WORK WONDERS

2. if you are getting massive vibs, out of the ordinary....you NEED to pull your motor and inspect your front motor mounts..they will look fine visually, but once removed from the engine and put in a vise...stick a screw driver in the hole and slightly pry on them...80%+ of OEM mounts are torn if they have never been replaced...thus causing your motor to twist under load and blow belts..or it will smash up againist the OEM torque stop and the vobration will transfer to the chassis.....check your wiring for frays and re-route it while the engine is out...and check/replace your rear motor mounts as well..

3. if you dont know when your primary was last balanced..it needs done ASAP..this is a HUGE deal and will help save your cranks from blowing

4. if you have the SLP push arm (front side of recoil housing) make sure its NOT butted up againist the motor..there should be a .010" gap....SAME with the OEM torque stop on the PTO side behind the primary..

feel free to email me anytime for help...also feel free to do a search on snowest using my profile name here and you will see my sled build, and lots of good info ;)

sean
guidoxpress@hotmail.com

i can go on for hours with stuff that should be looked at while your in there..but if its vibbing that bad...theres an issue..

WOW... Great info, THANKS!!!! I dont know a lot about these sleds, but this kind of info help immensely. :d:beer:

guidoxpress

Reaction score
NO SWEAT..

like i said, email me anytime if you need any help/inputs you may need..

i have a pretty good idea about these 900 ;)

if you go to snowest, type in "Guidoxpress 05 RMK 900 Build" :d

if you can see it that is, w/o paying for the membership they have now :rolleyes:

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guidoxpress and 94Fordguy are very helpful and know these 900’s well, give great advice and have helped me out lot’s with my 900, thanks guy’s for your input on this 900 forum.

A note to vibration on the 900 the Comp Mount upgrade is worth every penny, I can not tell the difference on the vibration with the wife’s 2009 M8 over my 900! I just don’t notice it at all.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guidoxpress and 94Fordguy are very helpful and know these 900’s well, give great advice and have helped me out lot’s with my 900, thanks guy’s for your input on this 900 forum.

A note to vibration on the 900 the Comp Mount upgrade is worth every penny, I can not tell the difference on the vibration with the wife’s 2009 M8 over my 900! I just don’t notice it at all.

mine must be an oddball then cause i dont think mine is that bad i can still leave gloves on the seat

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine must be an oddball then cause i hardly notice mine i can still leave gloves on the seat

I can leave my gloves there too, I just notice it when riding it. Low RPM's absolutly wicked vibs, higher RPM's not as bad but still there. I will go out and have a look at it later, im curious if it already has these COMPFUSION Mounts on it already. Now that I've seen a picture of what they look like, make it easier. :d

guidoxpress

Reaction score
I can leave my gloves there too, I just notice it when riding it. Low RPM's absolutly wicked vibs, higher RPM's not as bad but still there. I will go out and have a look at it later, im curious if it already has these COMPFUSION Mounts on it already. Now that I've seen a picture of what they look like, make it easier. :d

if there is a meat cup on the mounts then you have them...but usually when people get them, they will advertise it heavily to promote selling..

one of the biggest things people over look on there vibs issues is the OEM torque stop...some dealers, and riders..tend to push the stop up againist the engine (PTO side behind clutch) and its NOT how it should be...it needs to have a gap of .010-.015" between the stop and the engine...if its craked or torn up, you need to replave it..its only like $8-12 from the dealer..

but if your front mounts are torn, then it will shift the engine under load and cause it to slam againist the OEM torque stop and cause the vibs to...

so either way...check/replace the front motor mounts...with the 06 front mounts..or the compfusion mounts...DO NOT use OEM 05 mounts...they are too soft...

and replace your OEM torque stop while your in there... ;)

Top Bottom