Vent kit for e-tech

want to ride

Reaction score
What do u guys think about putting on a vent kit for the e-tech? Do u think it is a must, an upgrade, or waste of money?

want to ride

Reaction score
K, I was looking at R&M lightning products from specialty sleds

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still think John stepped away from the vent buisness at the end of last season. But I never heard any more. If he hasn't, he makes a great product.

I don't agree with venting the crap out of newer XP's. The 377 belt is a very hard compound (the hardest BRP has available to the public) It takes a little heat to soften it up and have it grip, vs it being very hard and slip. As well with the etec's max 7900 rpm there will be less heat created. People proved this last year when doing pulls and taking belt temp's.

Some vents are good though. Especially behind the clutch side to allow hot air to escape.

The 2012 391 belt will be a whole new story. Doesn't stand up to as much heat and is a softer compound once again like the 166.

okay.....dicuss!

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in at Bow South on the weekend looking at the 2012. They have a very elaborate shrouding systems integrated into the belt guard that has "Do Not Remove" Cast into it. I'm assuming this is designed to get the correct airflow across the clutches making this less of an issue.

A quick google produced this article about the system from the BRP website.....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in at Bow South on the weekend looking at the 2012. They have a very elaborate shrouding systems integrated into the belt guard that has "Do Not Remove" Cast into it. I'm assuming this is designed to get the correct airflow across the clutches making this less of an issue.

A quick google produced this article about the system from the BRP website.....

Yeah they said it will provide up to 30F cooler temps. Now, at what RPM range is the 30F cooler temps?

So they claim to be able to reduce the temp by 30F (whatever that is in Celcius...come on FernieSnow can you convert that for me?) and run a belt that has a lower max temp range.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah they said it will provide up to 30F cooler temps. Now, at what RPM range is the 30F cooler temps?

So they claim to be able to reduce the temp by 30F (whatever that is in Celcius...come on FernieSnow can you convert that for me?) and run a belt that has a lower max temp range.

I would assume this decrease in temp is at the upper RPM range as the updated cover is only being shipped on the Summits and Freerides. 30F(16C at 200F) isn't much but how much is a vent kit helping? I guess we'll see.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would assume this decrease in temp is at the upper RPM range as the updated cover is only being shipped on the Summits and Freerides. 30F(16C at 200F) isn't much but how much is a vent kit helping? I guess we'll see.

just for arguements sake, the 391 belt will start to fail at 185F. Its not uncommon to see belt temps of 200F. So by running the 391, instead of the 377, are they banking on the temps being lower than if we added our own venting?

just by having a properly set up clutch vs previous years stock set ups can reduce temps by 30-40F. Why spend so much time investing into something that cools a clutch on a mountain sled? Why not just build the sled with mountain riding in mind.

But you are right, we'll see.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I still think John stepped away from the vent buisness at the end of last season. But I never heard any more. If he hasn't, he makes a great product.

Ordered my vents the 1st of Oct and they are waiting at the border for pick-up. Jon is in business, just working a little smarter.

Yes, he makes a great product.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the best vent kit I have had yet is the gill vents for the etec they work awesome and you dont have to worry about ripping the material on a stunp or tree!!! I had a set of slp vents on my m7 3 rides later I hit a stump ripped the vent right off on my clutch side! weekend was pretty much over after that

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only issue I have had with gill vents is a small branch flicking up into the side of the gill and ripping one section right out. I do like my gill's on my '09. But I don't intend on venting a new sled that much.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
the best vent kit I have had yet is the gill vents for the etec they work awesome and you dont have to worry about ripping the material on a stunp or tree!!! I had a set of slp vents on my m7 3 rides later I hit a stump ripped the vent right off on my clutch side! weekend was pretty much over after that

I keep pushing JC's custom vents for a reason.....I started out with SLP's on the 08' and they didn't last as long as jareds'! So what doo you doo with the side panels and the holes? Definitely not another set of SLP's. New side panels and better vents.

With 3 big kids (in there 30's) riding and all having different vents, and buddies having different vents I started dooing some research. I have seen so many different vents and different results that I wonder how some of the manufacturers sell their vents and stay in business other than cheaper cost and I know the cheap ones don't stand up to the trees.

I put JC's vents on the 08 and they were still there when I sold it this year. Just about mint after 3000+ miles in the trees and rocks of the east Kootenays.
I put JC's vents on the 2010 and after 2500 kms they are nearly mint.

Ride 50-75 days/year in the trees and rocks and tell me your vents are great! Yes, they were cheaper but better, I don't think so.

sledneck97

Reaction score
Are you guys removing the outer shroud on the clutch covers on the 11's to the 08 I've heard to remove it and i've also heard to not remove it. Whats your guys opinions?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys removing the outer shroud on the clutch covers on the 11's to the 08 I've heard to remove it and i've also heard to not remove it. Whats your guys opinions?

the new 2012's have a ram air type design or something claiming way better cooling as posted earlier and they sugest not too remove but on my 08 I removed the plastic and drilled several holes in the top of the guard to help air flow not sure how much it helps but I think many have done this not sure about the 11 etec.

sledneck97

Reaction score
the new 2012's have a ram air type design or something claiming way better cooling as posted earlier and they sugest not too remove but on my 08 I removed the plastic and drilled several holes in the top of the guard to help air flow not sure how much it helps but I think many have done this not sure about the 11 etec.

Yeah I just bought a 2011 800 e tec i might just purchase the new shroud that they're claiming to help the clutches run cooler.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vents are good on Doo's, Cats and Poo's. I was told by a BRP mountain segment engineer that if it wasn't for noise regulations for sleds they would be running vents on their mountain sleds right off the assembly line. Vents work.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

on my 08, I removed the outer plastic along the top. I found that when tipping to the left, the side panel would collapse and rub against the clutch bolt. On my 2010, I left the plastic trim piece on and no more problem.

Top Bottom