vehicle immobilizer

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read a lot of your guys post in the theft deterrrant thread and like what some have done as in an under dash switch or coded immobilizer. I would like to know who has done anything similar and where they got it done or if you did it yourself.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My company uses a GPS system to we can see where our vehicles are and we can shut them down. the shut down system only works when the truck has been shutoff it won't restart if the command has been givin. The system is from AirIQ and it has worked very well for us. It would be good to have if your truck with sleds gets stolen you would be able to find out where it is instantly....i'm not sure on the cost off the top of my head i'll get back to you

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My company uses a GPS system to we can see where our vehicles are and we can shut them down. the shut down system only works when the truck has been shutoff it won't restart if the command has been givin. The system is from AirIQ and it has worked very well for us. It would be good to have if your truck with sleds gets stolen you would be able to find out where it is instantly....i'm not sure on the cost off the top of my head i'll get back to you

Now if only you could get a remote detonator for about 2# of C4 under the back seat........

Very cool to have that feature though. Can ONSTAR do that?

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now if only you could get a remote detonator for about 2# of C4 under the back seat........

Very cool to have that feature though. Can ONSTAR do that?

I wish. with some of the clowns i have up it would be nice. here's to wishing.:beer::beer:

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
onstar can only tell the police where the vehicle is. i had a impala get stolen off the lot. i had to make a police report, then get onstar to phone the police, and they located it in northern bc, a day later. On certain models which i can't remember which ones they are right now, they can slow the vehicle to a stop, they are unable to just shut it off going down the highway as that would be a little bit of a hazard.

Onstar has gps, so they can pin point the car.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya go onstar the biggest joke ever

i see you have a newer gm truck,if that is your truck, which if it isin't a base rider, should have onstar, if i were you i would look online at the millions of lives it has saved.

people kill me, i spend a lot of money on life insurance for when i die!!! its not like I get any of it!! but some person won't spend the couple hundred a year to get turn by turn directions, a billion other services, and oh yeah, IF YOUR AIR BAGS GO OFF AND YOU DONT ANSWER THEY SEND EMERGENCY PEOPLE!!!!
plus it has a built in phone with no long distance and no roaming fees that is up to 3 times powerful then a handheld phone, can do remote diagnostics, email you a monthly report on your trucks vital stats.

yeah, what a joke??!!! dont see whats funny about getting my ass saved when something goes wrong. or whats funny when i get my truck back and they catch the creeps. think about if you had onstar on a enclosed sled trailer, or if it was part of your beacon??? sure seems funny to me????

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i see you have a newer gm truck,if that is your truck, which if it isin't a base rider, should have onstar, if i were you i would look online at the millions of lives it has saved.

people kill me, i spend a lot of money on life insurance for when i die!!! its not like I get any of it!! but some person won't spend the couple hundred a year to get turn by turn directions, a billion other services, and oh yeah, IF YOUR AIR BAGS GO OFF AND YOU DONT ANSWER THEY SEND EMERGENCY PEOPLE!!!!
plus it has a built in phone with no long distance and no roaming fees that is up to 3 times powerful then a handheld phone, can do remote diagnostics, email you a monthly report on your trucks vital stats.

yeah, what a joke??!!! dont see whats funny about getting my ass saved when something goes wrong. or whats funny when i get my truck back and they catch the creeps. think about if you had onstar on a enclosed sled trailer, or if it was part of your beacon??? sure seems funny to me????

:yeahthat::agree:

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

As a dealer you should know that you get one year free of onstar, so on my statement in my opinion based on my year free it is a joke. As for the phone it is nice hands free yes but at 50cents a min on avg and for sub par reception i have tried to use it in places where i know my Telus pcs phone works with full bars and i couldnt get a call through. Also their customer service is the main reason i have discontinued my service, when tring to upgrade my service to the navigation and directory service my subscription was cancelled (2 months prior to the end of my trial). Then when trying to get everything hooked up again i told them what happened they said it was impossible and "we dont make mistakes", finally after speaking with a super it was re actived minus my 150 minutes, so i called back and tried dealing with that but after 15 min of waiting and transfering no resolve.

For myself i will never pay for onstar but for the wife's car definately.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first time that air bag goes off or you need assistance, or you locked your keys inside, you'll look at the rearview mirror and frown!!!!

sorry about the previous rant, it is just that the onstar system does more then is known, and the fact that i have met people first hand that have had their lives saved makes me look at it a little differently!!!

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
send me a pm with your vin and all the details and i will talk to the onstar manager that i deal with on the dealer level and see what i can work out for you.

and once again sorry about the rant.

Top Bottom