Vega directions?

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Want to try something different me and a buddy want to head up to vega we've heard good things can some one tell me how to get there? We are both experienced mx riders as long as its not one big mud pit we will be fine. We will be pulling in a 16' trailer and 2 bikes in the box so we need a place to camp as well.

searched the forums already and couldn't find any good directions or camp sites just found lots of random info and pics any directions would rock!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been years, but you head north of barrhead, There are 2 ways,
Neerlandia/ferry way..... Fastest, funnest, but not sure if it even still exists..
Fort assiniboine trail way.. More gravel and a sure way to get there.

Man it's been some time..

I remember camping there many moons ago. Lotsa fun for sure.

Want to try something different me and a buddy want to head up to vega we've heard good things can some one tell me how to get there? We are both experienced mx riders as long as its not one big mud pit we will be fine. We will be pulling in a 16' trailer and 2 bikes in the box so we need a place to camp as well.

searched the forums already and couldn't find any good directions or camp sites just found lots of random info and pics any directions would rock!

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Jump on the yellow head going west through Edmonton towards jasper. About 20 min or do past Edmonton you will see a bunch of signs for hwy 43 north, Alaska hwy, Whitecourt etc. stay right and exit 16 onto 43. Stay on 43 till it bends just past Onoway and starts west. There you'll see another sign for grizzly trail hwy 33 north to Barrhead. Once to Barrhead, go through town, only one set of lights and there'll be another intersection. Hwy33 west/north or 18 east. There a decision has to be made cause vega can be reached by going either way. Going left will take you go Ft. Assiniboine. Stay on that hwy across till you cross the athabasca river and will come to a t intersection. Turn right into the town of Ft. Assiniboine. Go through town, its real small and turn left on edge of town going up big hill. Stay on this hwy it'll go north for a ways then there'll be big speed curve to right going back east. Follow that till the hwy turns north again. Will be a kinda y intersection there with sign saying vega to the right. Go right there it'll turn into gravel rd. follow that and you'll see where everyone rides. Actually called the Timeu Off Road vehicle area. Other way is when you leave Barrhead, turn right. Go 1 mile east on 18. Top of hill will see signs saying Neerlandia/vega turn left there go till hwy ends just past small hamlet of vega. Will be a t-intersection. Turn left and follow rd. turns to gravel or Chinese hard top? Can't remember which right now. Will take you down to the vega ferry which crosses the Athabasca river. Once across the river just stay on main rd for a mile or so. Again you will see the main riding area. Just stay on north side of rd and all will be fine. South side is a protected wilderness area called Holmes crossing. Lots of sand to ride in and trails. There is muskeg and gross stuff in the area, but can be avoided on bikes. Not sure exactly where but there is a hare scramble track out there, as races are hosted out there periodically.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
It's been years, but you head north of barrhead, There are 2 ways,
Neerlandia/ferry way..... Fastest, funnest, but not sure if it even still exists..
Fort assiniboine trail way.. More gravel and a sure way to get there.

Man it's been some time..

I remember camping there many moons ago. Lotsa fun for sure.

Wow it really must have been many moons since you've been there as there is only 3-4 miles of gravel going either way now.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Google it for exact directions. Take Yellowhead to 43. 43 to 33N. After Barrhead, turn right at the T. Go a few miles and turn left on 769N. Go past Neerlandia and then through Vega. Turn left at intersection. Follow signs to ferry. You'll turn right then left and follow a windy road. After you cross the ferry, go about a km or so to the power line. Turn right. Drive down the power line about 400 yards. There are makeshift campsites there.

The road off the ferry is a boundary. There is absolutely no riding to the left. The cops may pay a visit. You never know when. Make sure you have your insurance and registration.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are 2 maps to help you on your Quest. Be carefull, if you travel too far North you could end up in Slave Lake.

Bruce . A R SH  1.JPG A R SH  2.JPG

Last edited:

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When were you going to go up there? I might head up too would be nice to have someone to ride with. Was up there years ago it was mainly sandy whooped trails with some loamy sections, not much mud.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When were you going to go up there? I might head up too would be nice to have someone to ride with. Was up there years ago it was mainly sandy whooped trails with some loamy sections, not much mud.

leaving vegreville friday @ 5 so should be there around 8 but im not sure where exactly where were guna set up camp yet(never been there). If you head out there i will be in a lifted blue 05 ram 1500 with black rims/haggard little camper and i will be riding a ktmsx 250 all black with a powdercoated orange frame 2 smoker and buddy will be on his yzf with monster graphics. If you see us out there your more then welcome to stop by for a beer and come riding hell even set up camp if u like.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is free camping around there right ? And how much to cross the ferry

Top Bottom