valemount cops bored again so lets pick on some sledders again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no issue with them doing there jobs. But as for the fog lights being on at 1am in the morning getting pulled over for that. I never don't drive with them on. You can see the road 100 times better. So safer I see it. I'm not gonna stop riding vale just cuz of the pigs. I love it there. And varda still does a bang up job!

Drive with the fog lights on great but please shut them off meeting vehicles, you see 100 times better but everyone else see's 100 times worse. BS that they ticket you when they are off meeting them, but if their on when they are being passed ticket well deserved IMO (I know this thread they were off and just not covered, again BS but is the law i guess. I was ticketed for it in the log truck , not on but no covers, this was over a decade ago, nothing new.)
Also dont rely on your trailer brakes working just because trailer is new, brothers brand new trailer on first trip when checked failed

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Factory fog lights are legal, as long as they are not on when the high beams are on.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't be easy pickens then, that copper did your buds no favours, as you were still not safe, you guys farmers?

I'm a farmer and my trailer and truck is probably more road worthy than alot of rigs on the road that don't have farm plates!The old farmer jokes get old after a while when you see alot of new trucks and trailers in the mountains and on the road with farm plates that can drive through a check stop no problem and someone bitching about getting a ticket for obviously being unsafe!I know I'm going to get jumped on now for saying that but when I go to the mountains I see alot of crap going down the hi-way that should be ticketed!The driving light,fog light deal is bull.... but the trailer brake thing is a no brainer!I don't feel like getting killed because someone is too cheap or saving beer money to go through their trailer or overload the damn thing!!Just because you can drive around the city that doesn't mean you know how to drive and maintain a truck and trailer!!!Just sticking up for all the farmers!!!

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I'm driving down the highway passing oncoming traffic without turning off my KC Lites I deserve to be pulled over, scolded, ticketed, and made to cover them because I am being a hazard, and an ignorant azzhat. If you just see them mounted there, but they are turned off, or I turned them off as soon as I saw any oncoming traffic then WTF.:confused: We have RCMP officers in our family (both present and retired), and they even have stories about some officers they have shaken their heads at.:rolleyes: It's not the town, or the RCMP. One officer having a bad day can create quite a stir around a small town in a day by running around handing out petty tickets. At Mountain Mania II in McBride they had a checkstop set up and all they did was make sure that nobody was drinking and driving. No checking of ANYTHING else that we heard of. Basically leaned in the window of our truck, asked the driver is he was drinking, smelled no alcohol; gave us the, "Thanks guys, have a great night." That was it. Hopefully they do the same in Valemount this year.:cool:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard last year they were checking tie downs inside enclosed trailers!Not sure if it was true or not.And I heard your not allowed to pack extra fuel from Alberta either!God knows its cheaper here!I usually head to Mcbride anyways.The cops seem more level headed other than the usual check stops at Tete Jaune Cache.

Securing a load, even in an enclosed trailer is required... and a no brainer. Sleds are projectiles in a collision.
Packing extra fuel is also a no-no. Jerrycans can become a Molotov cocktail in a collision. To save the 2$ per jerry can by filling in Alberta is not worth the extra beer money or extra 200 pounds weight either.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't be easy pickens then, that copper did your buds no favours, as you were still not safe, you guys farmers?

Securing a load, even in an enclosed trailer is required... and a no brainer. Sleds are projectiles in a collision.
Packing extra fuel is also a no-no. Jerrycans can become a Molotov cocktail in a collision. To save the 2$ per jerry can by filling in Alberta is not worth the extra beer money or extra 200 pounds weight either.

I always tie mine in but had some polaris guys didn't want to tie theirs down because the front bumpers break during transport.Didn't believe it till I saw it 2006 plastic front break like their cut with a saw!I have a 28 foot enclosed that rides smooth and the sleds were not even sucked down that hard!

riffrraffing

Reaction score
BC is a cash grabbing province. The Cops are all about power trips. Why would any one be surprised to hear that cops in small towns in BC are a pain in the ass? I hate traveling in BC.

sweetsecret73

Reaction score
As angry as we get at the RCMP they are just trying to keep our towns and highways safe. I was driving with some friends and assumed everything was up to par on the trailer etc. We were pulled over last year at the scales for our sleds being loaded wrong. The one sled was hanging over the edge too far. Then they found issues with the trailer brakes. We had to call (on a Sunday) someone to fix the issue or we were not allowed to move it. In the end with the fines and the trailer repair bill we were over $600.00. It wasn't the RCMP's fault it was ours. I was a little disappointed they didn't check for registration on any of the sleds but I can't say I am always perfect and do my job perfectly every day either...

Oh did I fail to mention the same police officer pulled over the night before at the Clemina loading area because it was late and we were the last vehicle loading. We had a sled that broke down and we were trying to push a 500 lb machine up the ramp. He could have said sorry for your luck and drive away but instead with a smile he jumped out of his car and offered to help! He helped us for over a half hour until we had the sled loaded ready to go.

I am not always happy with what they do but in the end they are only doing their job.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Factory fog lights are not even worth the hassle & time to turn them on. Keep the headlights clean & good to go.
As for RCMP handing tickets for fog lights, there effort & time could be spent on more valid violations.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a cash grab by the RCMP for sure...they just target sledders in and around Valemount. We have been pulling an enclosed to the mountians for yrs now and never have been stopped anywhere for any infractions except for Valemount. Have been stopped by the scales the last couple yrs when leaving town for no reason at all and asked for lic and Reg. for the vehicle then I was asked to function the trailer brakes and had the brake aways disconnected to see if they worked. First time everything checked out 2nd time brake aways failed to function so i was charged. Never asked to see any Reg. for any sleds and never gave an exact reason for being pulled over...I already knew what the reason was...Targeting Sledders leaving town.

I still ride Valemount but check everything out before I head into and out of town as I know if the RCMP are out and about and you are a sledder chances are you are getting pulled over and they like to write tickets more so then give warnings.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, they should leave every vehicle alone if they don't have their "offroad" lights covered?
It's funny, in all the 15 years that I have sledded, I have been pulled over once at a check point to see if the sleds were properly anchored. I passed hundreds of cops going in the other direction, or sitting on the side of the road, and only once did they stop me, because of speeding in Hinton..
I guess I am either lucky, or I comply.

The cops are the ones that have to respond to mangled bodies in the event of an accident that involved a trailer pushing a truck off the edge of a cliff.... or a head on collision.

Pay the fine, fix your rig like it should be, KNOW THE RULES, be kind and cooperative to the cop, and you should not have trouble IMO.

I would like to think your Lucky here is my last valemount experience get to allan creek go to change clutch weights snap a bolt, buddy pulls his sled out and his rails are touching his newly installed advid drivers head into town. Get new bolt drop his sled off to get rails chopped grab a 24 of Koakanee have a parking lot beer and hit the road.....checkstop, now I must say the 22 beer is now in the box of the truck but there happens to be an old crushed beer can inside the back seat of my crew cab under the seat so liquor ticket and confenscates the beer, next we test the breakaway on my trailer (08) which I believe is working.......apparently not ticket and I have to leave my trailer full of sleds and gear on side of road to get it towed back into town. After a breathalizer and a speech about HIDs being illeagal in BC I call tow company who is kind enough to bring me out a new breakaway and I install it good to go by the time it gets dark out great sledding day. If the cops want to check for stolen sleds,drugs, and drinking and driving giver but in our case I honestly thought my breakaway was working, and our beer was in the truck box. I normally avoid Valemount because the snow is just never the same as Revy but after that bs and others experiences ill drive the extra time to avoid the cash grabbing pigs. Was also told they went easy on me because I was polite!

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa cry us a river! There are laws in place to protect us against being killed by people that don't have enough brains to keep thier equipment in safe operating condition or know how to safely use it. If your equipment is in safe operating condition and you are smart enough to use your equipment safely/correctly, then you have nothing to worry about. This has nothing to do with were you live or how hard it is for you to fight a ticket. The cops are out there protecting our lives against stupid people. If you are stupid, smarten up!
It is your responsibility to ensure your equipment is safe to use and that you know how to use it correctly.

If you can't follow the law and operate your equipment safely you deserve a ticket.
If you can't follow the law and your idiocy impacts the lives of my family and I, you will be dealing with me directly!

Have fun out there :beer:

Last edited:

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

curious to know how you can transport some fuel. i take a 5 gal jerry can of av gas with me for mixing purposes. what is the legal way to do that?

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't be putting all us farmers in the same boat. I have a 95 24 ft goosenck stock railer, a 84 20 ft flat deck and a 79 8 ft truck box trailer for hauling fuel to the field. Been through at least 10 checkstops, or just pulled over to check, and been told by rcmp and county cops that these trailers are way better than most CVIP trailers on the road.

Just to let you know that some farmers take care of their equip.:beer:

riffrraffing

Reaction score
I am pissed off. I was pulled in a service station where they had 3 police cars all checking over the Alberta Truck trailer campers over with a fine tooth comb. All this going on with a bunch of hippies smoking dope in their Volkswagen van at the other end of the parking lot. I was asked a bunch of ridiculous questions. I was fined for not having a cap on my sewage pipe as mine must have recently fallen off and then also ticketed me for having no lights on my trailer. I explained that my trailer fuse had blown a few hours prior when I plugged the cord for my fuel transfer pump for my slip tank in. I wasn't able to find a replacement for that particular fuse at any of the service stations. He didn't accept that answer and insisted that I spend the night and wait for the dodge dealership to open up to buy the fuse there. Then once he heard that I was filling my truck up, he wanted to look under my sled deck to see what my slip tank looked like. Then there was a fine to be issued for not having my spare propane tank secured adequately and I should have had a placard for it. Then apparently he gave me a break for pulling my trailer with the propane tanks open. We got in to an argument about whether it was legal to have the valves on my propane tanks open during transit. Then there was an issue with my tinted windows and so on...

So yeah, I am not impressed with BC. I was told by the officer that Alberta tourist are his best customer. I finished the trip hating Police and more specifically BC police.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't be putting all us farmers in the same boat. I have a 95 24 ft goosenck stock railer, a 84 20 ft flat deck and a 79 8 ft truck box trailer for hauling fuel to the field. Been through at least 10 checkstops, or just pulled over to check, and been told by rcmp and county cops that these trailers are way better than most CVIP trailers on the road.

Just to let you know that some farmers take care of their equip.:beer:

Just get tired of all the city people bunching all farmers in the same boat!!Alot of farmers maintain their equipment and don't have to take it somewhere and rely on the mechanic's word that everything is operating!!But with anything it just takes one or two 'typical' farmers to get all farmers painted with the same brush!!

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
curious to know how you can transport some fuel. i take a 5 gal jerry can of av gas with me for mixing purposes. what is the legal way to do that?

I believe you have to have the appropriate hazardous materials sign on the outside of the area in which the container is being carried, ie: if you have a canopy or cover on the truck box you must have the sign on the outside. You also need the hazardous material sign on or fastened to the container. The container must also be tied down securely. If you are carrying the container outside and not in a closed space then it needs to be secured and must also have the hazardous materials sign on it.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holy you guys i really didnt start this thread for everyone to judge everyone elses equipment, or how they go about their business, but just to let everyone know that they were on a mission to piss off albertans again and my misfortune is someone elses gain hopefully. maybe ill just get a bc plate and bolt it on the front of my truck and then they will leave me alone.:(

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holy you guys i really didnt start this thread for everyone to judge everyone elses equipment, or how they go about their business, but just to let everyone know that they were on a mission to piss off albertans again and my misfortune is someone elses gain hopefully. maybe ill just get a bc plate and bolt it on the front of my truck and then they will leave me alone.:(

I've seen a few of your toys and I have a feeling you don't own anything thats a POS! I really don't understand how having covered lights makes me safer. I think if you leave your lights on brights for oncoming traffic you should get one flick to turn them off then its put the KC's on nuclear meltdown. I've only got one ticket sledding was coming out of McBride and I was hammer down, super nice cop reduced the ticket to save me a few bucks but it was still enough to remind me to take it easy:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom