UTV Tracks

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that bring your transport rig to the close area you are, unload to ride that area, "again" start off in flat low grade area too learn the learn.

Next is to go to shallow grade areas "Less the creek areas" too continue learning what the unit can do.

Don't go pinning it across the un-knowns as a lone sleeper hidden in the snow can pile-up things fast. "one could consider quad/utv tracks as a slow trapper thing."

Better yet is the have others with you on outings.

Tires and tracks both have there places, cost is a factor, but this is not an issue since power sport activities are part of living life full.

The reason I have gone too tracks is I go many places when it allows, drifted in ditches have not worked for my quad, hard wind blown crusty snow is hard to stay on top of with low hp quad. Tracks struggle on this crusty snow, but they auger threw a bit better.

The key to all is taking your time, don't get rammy as it "could" cost you at the time or later down the road.

And yes too covered in snow, quad tracks know how to kick it up. I looked like a snow dude in less then a minute of running time.

Dress warm, layers too change out gear as needed, check things over at all stops, if it doesn't feel right in operation, something is up.

Tracks can and can-not add value to your outting, it's the person that makes it tick in the long run.

Always have a couple of game plans for the just incase moments, this is a IMO Only idea into the puzzles we learn along the way.

Don

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to think of with tracks on a utv is the added width of an already pretty wide machine. Tighter trails will be out of the question with tracks. And what you have to haul the utv? For me I put my sxs in the box of my truck so that's out of the question with tracks. Or if you have a inclosed trailer it might not fit with tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes wider and way longer, which also make tracks hard on front end parts. can also be a bit tippy in deep snow. lots of good info on u-tube.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run tracks at work on a sxs. Summer for grass fires. Great in mud and bad terrain.

Winter used for off road rescue of snowmobile or atv crashes.

Work great for us

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A chain-saw, axe, man cave pick, steel spade shovel, light weight jack-all-jack, a few escape planks with traction studs or bars, and a winch that works, frozen ground spike too winch off of.

Rigging is handy too have, one might not need it, but one would be pooched if you don't have this stuff.

Exta rope, a few motorcycle straps and some tools.

Like the old snowmobile story goes,,, never drop down into the un-kownens un-less you know the area. Only go up if it allows.

Stay away from step icy up hill climbs, loosing traction that allows unit too slide back-wards is not an option.

As mentioned in above posts,,, think, think, and think once more all the time.

Tracks work, trick is too learn safely how far too take them.

Back up chain-up plan for me is under-way.

I'm making 4 track chains for my unit.

Tryg V-bar 100" long, every 10" will be a welded on flat steel pad too keep V-bar facing out-wards.
I'll sipe out center lugs on all 4 tracks so the chain will fully rap all the way around the center of the track.

Turn buckle too fasten track chain tight so it remains in center of track.

These V-bar chains are for short limited use only if needed. Back ones will work good since they remain in-line most the time. "Less turning at steep turns."

Wize when doing this.

Lots of prepping before hand too improve tactics with fore-sight.

Second option is track studs.

Don

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you just pin it ... Never slow down ... Or you are done for ....
Keep onda @ 10 grand

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pin it scares me, Ha.

10 km test run over a few hours at -24c.

Onda 420 with tracks kick up massive amount of snow above 3 and 4th gear, so limited my adventures to 1st and 2nd, tapped it kool over frozen kow chips and beaver dams at farm, travelled a few kms of wind drifted ditches and fence lines.

Little Onda was made for tracks as its light and flexible but a down fall too this would be running into hidden sleepers in the snow, "extreme caution at all times.

Trick is to forget about rammy, stresses, and frustrations as this will wreck the unit and day.

Plan on being one with unit, and drive it like a army tank that is made of card-board and Tin-foyal held too gether by duck-tape. LOL.

Lucky our shop is heated too check things over, but I can see that a hot-box will soon be on the back of the Ford F-150, nothing like adding another 1000 lbs too the unit. Ha.

As for flotation, mid/shallow climb" heights," and stopping power in snow. Its awesome,,, un believable where this Onda will go in snow, keeping in mind that not all snow is the same...

T-4 tracks are all the same size for all units, the only change up is the plastic drive sprocket,,, my tracks for 420 are 16 tooth in the 400 cc class. The 15 tooth is for 350cc, 17 for 500cc on up too 21 or 22 tooth for 1000cc.

Each unit of drives allows "close" too the same grunt off the line,,, but the smaller sprockets do not allow for high speed like the larger cc units,,, from tires too tracks my speed is pretty much cut in 1/2. Larger drivers would be a 1/3 less in speed of tires,,, "because of the larger plastic drivers.

Steering is much harder to do, so like Imdoo'n mentioned, turn when moving, and sea-saw back and forth too turn around. Don't force the steering or one might find out how weak the steering links are." I have 2 on order for the just incase moments, LOL.

More to follow from Snow man Lem.

PS: HH Rain suit on next ride as it don't take long too become a snow-dude when the snow-blower tracks are in action.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pin it scares me, Ha.

10 km test run over a few hours at -24c.

Onda 420 with tracks kick up massive amount of snow above 3 and 4th gear, so limited my adventures to 1st and 2nd, tapped it kool over frozen kow chips and beaver dams at farm, travelled a few kms of wind drifted ditches and fence lines.

Little Onda was made for tracks as its light and flexible but a down fall too this would be running into hidden sleepers in the snow, "extreme caution at all times.

Trick is to forget about rammy, stresses, and frustrations as this will wreck the unit and day.

Plan on being one with unit, and drive it like a army tank that is made of card-board and Tin-foyal held too gether by duck-tape. LOL.

Lucky our shop is heated too check things over, but I can see that a hot-box will soon be on the back of the Ford F-150, nothing like adding another 1000 lbs too the unit. Ha.

As for flotation, mid/shallow climb" heights," and stopping power in snow. Its awesome,,, un believable where this Onda will go in snow, keeping in mind that not all snow is the same...

T-4 tracks are all the same size for all units, the only change up is the plastic drive sprocket,,, my tracks for 420 are 16 tooth in the 400 cc class. The 15 tooth is for 350cc, 17 for 500cc on up too 21 or 22 tooth for 1000cc.

Each unit of drives allows "close" too the same grunt off the line,,, but the smaller sprockets do not allow for high speed like the larger cc units,,, from tires too tracks my speed is pretty much cut in 1/2. Larger drivers would be a 1/3 less in speed of tires,,, "because of the larger plastic drivers.

Steering is much harder to do, so like Imdoo'n mentioned, turn when moving, and sea-saw back and forth too turn around. Don't force the steering or one might find out how weak the steering links are." I have 2 on order for the just incase moments, LOL.

More to follow from Snow man Lem.

PS: HH Rain suit on next ride as it don't take long too become a snow-dude when the snow-blower tracks are in action.

Good times, slow is where the tracks work best, the rammy crowd just break stuff and spend way more doing repairs, lol.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So one can see that frozen lumps and narrow track wedge areas would not be nice to encounter,,, these alone "could" cause grief too A-arm, steering tye-rods, and wheel bearings and the track frame and boggies.

Pinch points and earth bound ground bindings "could/or can cause extra stress on all the above, one would be wize to avoid these areas,,, snowmobiles are some-what more forgiving in some ways, but ruts are ruts that could hang a lickn on sled stuff too.

When we run the 88.000 lb Husky 8 track machines we learn too become ground pilots, one miss thought when packing a 100.000 lbs ++ of building across a lease or up the lease road too staging area could be a disaster if one does not have mind on task. 6 wheel floater tire Nod-wells same thing.

UTV/ATV track units are different yes, they are not packing that weight, but the light weight units like this have light parts,,, the first gear torque of motor too tracks can chew the fur off a Grizzly Bear, this low end grunt all so adds extra stresses on the frame.
Frame of a UTV is tuffer then a light weight ATV,,, but they have their weak points.

If a operator plans for the day, and thinks about the over all long haul, then things will stand up longer. Parts and structure wear is a constant with tires, 90 lb tracks each = even more wear & tear.

I still like tracks as I plan on 1st and 2nd gear operations off road, with chances of grabbing more gears on open hwy, Ha. "Most likely nothing past 4th gear.

Hope too log on some kms in the mountains this weekend, distance is the trick at getting them figured out.

Pal Lem in ideas only

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, after a couple of days you will be like an old pro. you will find that tracks sink (on a SxS) will sink deep into new snow, encountering the many hazards of winter snow travel_ rocks, stumps, badger holes, dead sleds and atv's. lol. speed on tracks is not your friend in my opinion.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just pin it , hold that lil
Onda to the bar .... Or just buy snowshoes / or a sled ....
Putzing along at 1.3 mph .. Can't be much fun.

1.3 kpr, LOL.

The fun factor for me is site seeing with nill of funds for repairs, Ha.

I'm a furry critter game tracker, so going slow is a must, pin-it happens when I'm on the road rewind too the cabin on wheels,,, massively fast at 22 1/2 kpr,,, Zoom Zoom. Ha

Lem

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best thing i can suggest is you will not be able to keep up to a sled, don't even try. will cost $$$ in broken parts.

ice is worse than skating rink, you will spin and spin some more. ice screws do help. full enclosed cab is a must, you will be covered in snow. it will melt you will be wet and likely unhappy, not a fun time at -25 or lower. you will get stuck on downed trees, stumps rocks etc. don't spin the tracks or they can tear. bring short lengths of 2x6 to ramp over downed trees etc. short pieces of lath nailed to board works wonders. winch is your friend, and something to winch to! let your machine warm up till it is hot to the touch. check every nut n bolt and track tension until it stops stretching. best not to turn the steering until you get moving, it is way hard on steering components otherwise. we used the ranger up in ft mac for about 2 months , was interesting.

I keep seeing and hearing the same thing. even a older used sled will go faster and further than a tracked ATV.
if you can get a amazing deal on used ATV tracks it might be worth it.

But just a example you can find a decent used sled 2000-3500 and it will go places further / faster easier than any tracked ATV/UTV.
I know some will argue but seriously in my short life (33) I've went up trestles and canyons i'm not even sure i could have climbed them in the summer on my ATV let alone with tracks in the winter.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all depends on what you are doing? any atv with tracks in general will not be able to keep up with sleds. not even worth trying! if that is not a concern the tracks can be fun way to get around. all depends on what you want to do. atv with tracks will not be able to keep up to atv on wheels in minimal snow.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuppers too that, did my 14 years of sledding in BC with 190 too 200 day outting on snowmobiles, ain't no way a quad with tracks can compare those power houses.

If a person requires speed, then go sled, if one is looking for the slow relax idea, then quad with tracks.

My set up all new Onda and tracks came it at $11.000, frugal price for a all season unit that can be used threw out the Americas in all 4 seasons.

Only ideas as a person might want both units or one, having options is gooder

Lem

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for me tracks would be good if you had a heated enclosed sxs and just wanted to put around and see the sights, you could spend hours in there and be nice and warm. i grew up riding in argos so slow and steady is nice some days. I imagine they would be nice if the lake had lots of crusty snow on it and you were heading out ice fishing.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heated cab would be the best! with an open cab you will be covered in snow, as the racks throw the snow forward onto you. would need to seal the cab as best as possible as steam from rad, motor etc, fogs the windows up immediately. can be fun in the snow though, just somewhat different than a sled. :beer:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My plan is to make my own 1/2 cab for the Onda.

Galvanized conduit shell closed in along open areas where wind and snow flys,

Puck board 1/2 doors open along the top.

Trick is to allow air flow too prevent fogging up, the warm factor is built into my rides with my Baffin Island suit and chain-sawing downed trees.

One gets cold, get the logging operations going and off comes the gear, Ha.

As mentioned about the slow speed operations of units with tracks,,, this is the plus when we think about it.

Slow travel limits cold air breeze, and allows operator too move around on the unit,,, moving around is like exercising that keeps the blood flow going, LOL.

Riding the tree cut-lines block more wind too. "Most" not all normally drive the bush at slow speeds Any-who,,, this allows for spotting critters, tracks, frozen creeks and shore lines along lakes. All win win as each choose their thing.

Slow tracks around our farm is a plus too, Kows and Pony's don't mind standing still as we idle past them, critters would rather stand still then bolt if they don't have to,,, might be a inner thing for them to act this way.

All in ideas as I have lots too learn with quad & tracks in the years ahead.

Life long learning Lem

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes it is all fun.we spent about six weeks marking lines from Lac La Biche to Conklin area. had just front and rear windshield, no doors, no heat. when we busted a drift the windshield was instant frosted, used a squeege to open a hole to see through. ran every day from mid january to end of feb. -36 was not fun at all. wind was rough. but we had not a bad time. dress warm was the ticket. not fun humping through waist high snow 60m wide every 50m m minimum down a pipeline row. just about killed this old guy. but we made it.

Top Bottom