Using Reverse to Slow Down??

kobylka18

Reaction score
I just watched thunderstruck 9 and in one part a guy through the XP in reverse to slow down on decent. I have heard of other people doing this; my first thoughts are that this cannot be easy on the machine.

Is this a good idea or a terrible idea?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hit the RER and go!

Its a nice benefit of a electronic controled reverse on a 2-stroke.

Lets see a four stroke do that!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
This maneuver has saved my bacon a few times for sure. You need to lock up your track before pushing the button and when she fires just pin it...works real good. This is a last resort thing for me. Any time Ive had to do it the only other option was to bail :d and watch my sled go into the trees At warp chicken :eek: definatley works.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that would work with my mechanical reverse? I have looped my spare drive belts around the skiis to go down a very steep hill. I even had to use the throttle to keep it moving.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This maneuver has saved my bacon a few times for sure. You need to lock up your track before pushing the button and when she fires just pin it...works real good. This is a last resort thing for me. Any time Ive had to do it the only other option was to bail :d and watch my sled go into the trees At warp chicken :eek: definatley works.
X2....I use it all the time, especially when helping someone dig out from a stuck on the side of a hill. if the snow is soft enough you can come to a stop on almost any slope. I don't pin it real hard, just enough to spin the track backwards and slow down. I think it would be hard on the chain tensioner loading it up the wrong way.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just watched thunderstruck 9 and in one part a guy through the XP in reverse to slow down on decent. I have heard of other people doing this; my first thoughts are that this cannot be easy on the machine.

Is this a good idea or a terrible idea?

I watched Brad Storey do this while we were filming TS9... Got so hot the belt melted the secondary in half! Needless to say, the chute he was coming down was mondo steep... I will post pics for you tomorrow. It was pretty spectacular!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it works i use it as well,, like teeroy mostly digging peeps out great way to stop on the hill....

I have also used to check my speed coming down some nasties especially when you know you have to turn or the trees are bigger then 6 inch around lol

tuff part is waiting the 2.5 seconds for the reverse to kick in lmao like sumx54 said you should grab the brake first so track is not moving and that usually speeds ya up for that 2.5 seconds lol

come on snow:beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Doo it all the time......... Especially when riding with guys on cats that get stuck.... I highmark them, usually with a passenger on and drop 'em off as i slow down on the steep descents..... If not too steep, you can stop, and it piles up huge snow under the sled and kinda levels it out. Huge trenches though, left over........................;)

CTWilly

Reaction score
Dealership told me back in 03 that it wont hurt a thing. I found that just engaging the clutch works good. I just hang on and go for the ride, but i'm used to crashing.

kobylka18

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. My impression of this was that it was bad all around. When I get into some harry situations, I will have to give this a try

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealership told me back in 03 that it wont hurt a thing. I found that just engaging the clutch works good. I just hang on and go for the ride, but i'm used to crashing.

Brad Storey "didn't hurt a thing either"... at least not on his body! This is him trying to make his way down after an attempt at Herman's Chute-which was climbed and named by Mark Messenbrink in honor of his father... Brad employed the reverse to control speed technique to come out of the steep chute. All was going well until he hit a VW-sized boulder, rolled the sled and melted the secondary in half with the belt :nono:

Attachments

• IMG_8937 Composite.jpg
    IMG_8937 Composite.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 306

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. My impression of this was that it was bad all around. When I get into some harry situations, I will have to give this a try

practice first brotha:beer::beer:,,, that 2 second pause in between gets the heart to pump lol,, do I jump or wait, jump ,, lean, THROTTLE ohhh chit TREEEEEEee.......

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot to mention you should give the brake a good grab as you hit the reverse button, you could potentially burn a belt up if you kicked her into rev and smashed the throttle.

As others said you can use the throttle to slow you down too. On a properly setup clutch just engage the clutch with a burp of the throttle to the clutch engagement point when going down the hill and allow the engine to slow you down.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to try that this year, and still can't believe it doesn't hurt anything(listening to the formentioned advice)

I'm sure those are a Loooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggggg 2secs. LOL

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to understand how the Reverse on the Summit works...it is electronically controled, when you hit the RER button you are basically stopping the ignition sequence and starting it again in reverse order all in the same step. The motor fires in reverse sequence driving the crank in the opposite direction.

As long as you have a properly adjusted belt, a properly adjusted chain tensioner and are not already doing mach chicken you will be good.

I've bumped the RER button before while riding, it screws you up twice as fast as hittin the e-stop and leaves you wondering WTF just happned! :d

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to try that this year, and still can't believe it doesn't hurt anything(listening to the formentioned advice)

I'm sure those are a Loooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggggg 2secs. LOL

I don't think I'd do it just for chits and giggles though. This is my last line of defense right before the big Divorce. It really can't be good when you hear your backup alarm while doing 50mph forward. It is a long couple seconds before the engine catches :d

Top Bottom