USA Purchases - The Real Costs

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Just recieved my composite wheels from Fabcraft (4 of 5" and 3 of 8").

Here are the real costs:
Wheels------$317.00 ($45.20ea)
Broker-------$ 49.02
Broker gst---$ 2.95
AB GST------$18.16
-------------$387.18 ($55.20ea)

The product was sent UPS
I wanted to use US Postal but Fabcraft will not bear any responsability if your parcel goes missing. Both manufacurers I purchased from this week told me the same thing regarding US Postal...they won't stand behind them.

So it was an additional $70.13 on top of the original order.
Still a great price but more that I expected.

Last edited:

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should clarify that these were sent either Fedex or UPS. USPS/Canadapost has much lower brokerage fees. Tax is unavoidable unless they devalue the item on the customs form.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just priced out a set of yellow hoops for my Simmons skis from the US. $22.00/hoop US vs $48.00/hoop @ Specialty Sleds; but then a minimum of $40.00 US shipping.:eek: Kinda takes the savings out of it.:rolleyes:

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just so you guy's know you may want to read this before you ship usps it's the reply I got back concerning my shipment on usps from the us

Thank you for your message to Canada Post concerning your expected item.

We are unable to confirm the exact delivery standard for a parcel mailed
to Canada from foreign countries. An estimate would be that surface mail
could take 4 to 6 weeks and airmail would be approximately 2 weeks. If
the item was sent by an express service, I would suggest that you
contact the sender, as they may be aware of the exact delivery time for
that service. I regret that I am unable to be of assistance in this
matter.

Shipped oct 15 2007 from montana
Arrived in vancouver oct 18 2007
released from customs to canada post oct 30 2007
Nov 01 2007 still in vancouver

I heard that canada post is overwelmed right now with packages from the US because are dollar is so strong. If it is something I need I think I may use ups just cause it is faster right now.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my helmet cams were slow getting through customs. They did make it though so no worries. Hopefully my pieps, probe, shovel, klim jacket and freeride pants dont take quite as long. As long as they are here by the end of the month I will be happy.

• Admin

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
This kind of supports what the dealers in the USA said, things can take forever and sometimes don't turn up at all and they will not lend a hand.

Just so you guy's know you may want to read this before you ship usps it's the reply I got back concerning my shipment on usps from the us

Thank you for your message to Canada Post concerning your expected item.

We are unable to confirm the exact delivery standard for a parcel mailed
to Canada from foreign countries. An estimate would be that surface mail
could take 4 to 6 weeks and airmail would be approximately 2 weeks. If
the item was sent by an express service, I would suggest that you
contact the sender, as they may be aware of the exact delivery time for
that service. I regret that I am unable to be of assistance in this
matter.

Shipped oct 15 2007 from montana
Arrived in vancouver oct 18 2007
released from customs to canada post oct 30 2007
Nov 01 2007 still in vancouver

I heard that canada post is overwelmed right now with packages from the US because are dollar is so strong. If it is something I need I think I may use ups just cause it is faster right now.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's my rant for the week!

Ship USPS if they can. Longest I've waited was 2 weeks but most stuff was faster. I bought a used skidplate from the US and it was sent UPS. $20 value and UPS sent me a bill for another $20 for their fees. I phoned to complain and they waived the fees because the driver just dropped the package on my step and didn't collect the money right away.
I had a UPS delivery guy take a package to my neighbor and got her to pay the import fees. I felt bad enough going over to get the package from her house never mind finding out that she paid my bill.
I have a friend that bought $2500 worth of tires and rims from the US and when he called UPS they said they left them with one of his neighbors, 3 doors down. He didn't know them so he was pretty choked.
I don't like UPS on bit. I ask everyone to not use them when shipping to me.
If I do get something UPS, I get an itemized bill showing how it all adds up because I've complained to them everytime.
I just picked up a tekvest from the postal outet that was shipped USPS. $7 for duty and gst.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ice

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
USA Real Costs

I wasn't happy, but if it goes missing and no one can track it properly and the place your buying from uses UPS and won't support USPS, your kind of between a rock and a hard place.
Hmmm...
Ship USPS if they can. Longest I've waited was 2 weeks but most stuff was faster. I bought a used skidplate from the US and it was sent UPS. $20 value and UPS sent me a bill for another $20 for their fees. I phoned to complain and they waived the fees because the driver just dropped the package on my step and didn't collect the money right away.
I had a UPS delivery guy take a package to my neighbor and got her to pay the import fees. I felt bad enough going over to get the package from her house never mind finding out that she paid my bill.
I have a friend that bought $2500 worth of tires and rims from the US and when he called UPS they said they left them with one of his neighbors, 3 doors down. He didn't know them so he was pretty choked.
I don't like UPS on bit. I ask everyone to not use them when shipping to me.
If I do get something UPS, I get an itemized bill showing how it all adds up because I've complained to them everytime.
I just picked up a tekvest from the postal outet that was shipped USPS. $7 for duty and gst.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
A bit of an update, my rails have not arrived from the USA yet so I got the UPS tracking number and went on line...very cool info, they should already be here but at least I know they are in Canada now.

Was hoping ot get started this weekend....maybe they will arrive today.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 277

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Bought My Top End Kit Out Of Idaho Wild Side Sports The Only Extra I Payed Was $49 Gst And That Was Ship Usps

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Got my rails this afternoon, here is a photo of the difference where it fractured last time...guess I can jump some more.
It's a much better design.

Attachments

• Old-Rail_1.jpg
    Old-Rail_1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 234
  • BeefedRail_1.jpg
    BeefedRail_1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 236

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ALWAYS use USPS and expect at least a week to receive. Unless it is shipped express. Even then it can take 4 or 5 days. Can,t justify ups brokerage fee,s. I bet it costs them under a grand to clear a trailer load of packages. Then they charge minimum $40.00 per . SO lets say 1000 packages at $40.00 LOL no need to charge freight i would say!!!

Reactions: ice
Top Bottom