Cross Border buying FYI

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright i'm gonna make this thread so hopefully people can get this drilled into there heads with buying stuff from the states! From a guy who orders a ton of stuff from across the line here is what you MUST expect and dont let the sneaky little sales guys tell you differently!!!
-when buying parts from the states and getting them shipped to your adress in canada expect an additional shipping fee from border to your drop off, a 10% brokerage fee,a 5-12% gst fee depending on your province, so all in all add on an additional 20-35% to the product you just purchased and that will more than likely cover the HIDDEN fees

-Buying the parts shipping them to the border and picking them up! If declared through a business then expect $10.75 broker fee at border,and a 5-12% tax when returning to canada. If not declaring it through company and doing it personal then just add on the 5-12% tax and that is all the fee's you will pay.

-If the product does not originate in USA or Canada be expecting even more duty taxes and possibly be expecting the border guards not to let the part cross the border!

I hope this will clarify things for people who see a price online and think that is all they are gonna have to pay! just trying to save you some very frustrating and angry moments when ordering from the states!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Did you have a problem young fellow????

-If the product does not originate in USA or Canada be expecting even more duty taxes and possibly be expecting the border guards not to let the part cross the border!

That should read "originate in the USA, Canada, and/or Mexico" as all three countries signed the NAFTA agreement.

Many times I get lucky and don't have to pay the taxes. Shift change is a good time to go it you can figure that out.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you have a problem young fellow????

That should read "originate in the USA, Canada, and/or Mexico" as all three countries signed the NAFTA agreement.

Many times I get lucky and don't have to pay the taxes. Shift change is a good time to go it you can figure that out.

just an observation fernnie but where do you have to pay taxes just to get lucky. hmm. tell us the whole story, what with all the wood u been getting lately!!!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
just an observation fernnie but where do you have to pay taxes just to get lucky. hmm. tell us the whole story, what with all the wood u been getting lately!!!!!

are you into the BrewHouse tonight? I Don't understand what you are getting at. Maybe I worked too hard today.

But many days we come back with $200-$500 worth of goods and they look at the sales slip and then, "Thank you and have a good day sir." No taxes charged nor paid!

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this aint entirely true,,,I've bought alotta sled stuff, dirt bike stuff, ebay etc,,,,,and have never had to pay duties, taxes or brokerage if the items were sent usps,,,,,soooo lots of the time the price you see IS what you pay,,,,or even less sometimes while our dollars doing good

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your right jared dont let that lower us price fool u i order lots of parts for the nova and chevelle in the states and if the part is $25 bucks its usually $50 bucks after i get it to my door :cool: I allways try to support my local dealer first then all else fail i go to the states

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Usps all the way ups sucks balls

that X2.....but now that I have a postal box in Eureka, MT it is much easier to go down and pick it up.

Cheaper gas, groceries, and sushi for an afternoon outing. Butter, cheese, milk are more than 50% cheaper in the states with no duty nor taxes. There is a $ limit/person. Raw groceries also have no duty nor taxes (process foods have duty and taxes and they are higher priced than in Canada).

Haven't tried the new exemptions for the 24 and 48 hour stay yet. That's on the bucket list.

Nice living close to the border and being able to take advantage of some of those deals.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no I didnt have a problem i'm just so sick of people coming to my store and saying I can get that part for $200 online and your charging $220 i'm ordering online then they get the part and I ask them so what did it cost and they never answer back or they have a problem and want me to warranty it hahahahaha yeah right! some get lucky and avoid the extra fee's but I know Alligator diesel in the states had this problem send the package up and the guy didnt pay the extra fee's and it all came back to the supplier so there profit was gone! I add the canadian tax in because at the border they make you pay the tax! if you bring in a $700 item and you are from alberta it is gonna cost you $35 in tax at the border station you can only get away wit that if you are under $400 (daily limit) or have more occupants in the vehicle it sucks but it is what happens. All i'm getting at is you really should shop around canada more as youwill find just as good if not better pricing than the states and I will gladly say that with my truck shop on 90% of the items I will match or beat USA pricing!

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would much rather support a canadian company than ship my cash over the border,
but with the insane markup on ALOT of things,it's hard not to.
Ex- A liftpump for my cummins was 190-230 here and 45 + the ride from the states.
Unless I need the part NOW,I will gladly pay Canada post a $6.50 brockerage fee.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty successful in buying race quad and commander parts out of the states with little to no brokerage and taxes. Got to watch who the seller is And always always use USPS. When comparing such items with Canadian dealers I found it to be a lot cheaper since many of the company's only special order such parts because of the lack of demand. Also with the crazy Alberta economy it's hard to get a good parts guy who you get to know and will help you out. You call every other week and it's a new parts man because no one can keep staff. Just my observations with my own experiences. I will gladly support a local company when I can if I know it's relitively close Md not out to lunch prices

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I here ya' Jarred! It is tough for Canadian business right now and particularly those close to the border. Building supplies (drywall, windows, doors), in particular, are coming across the Montana, Idaho, Washington border in droves. Dimensional lumber, not so much.

Parts for recreational vehicles also a hot commodity. I hear there is a movement to release some of the tariffs making the pricing more equitable (ie Skidoo products) but when that will happen nobody knows.

I shop local very seldom because I can't. Most of our goods are bought in Alberta as it is the same distance from Elkford to Fernie as it is to the Pass. Major shopping is in Lethbridge as it is the same distance as Cranbrook. On-lilne purchases, like a 509 helmet or goggles are over half the price on-line and as I said before, a day trip is an outing and generally no taxes are charged at the crossing for smaller $$$, so the local economy suffers. If I had to buy something where I depended on warranty, it would be in Canada and not across the border. But as a businessman, I doo hear your pain!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh you bet doug i'm the same way I try as hard as i can to keep it in canada when i'm buying stuff for personnal and i'm with ya on the day trip thing it is nice forsure! It's a tough one living by the border but I have figured my method out and it has been working well business has been good cause I offer my products for the same price as the states on the majority of it saving the guy the drive or the shipping might not make as much money just like that but you keep up good service and good pricing and you earn a solid customer base. It's to bad our prices are so high up here it really hurts some really good people. I try to stay away from states buying unless i'm saving quite a big $$$ and that goes for business as well.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cool part of building the "shop local" mentality, is the cause and effect principal. Our customers have been great to us this past year, so our booking orders and quantitative buying have increased, causing better pricing from our manufacturers and suppliers, creating lower prices for our customers. It makes us happy when we hear a customer say, "hey that's a great price, it's the same price as if I drove all the way across the line". Now certainly that isn't for Everything. Some products still have a higher retail price than in the States, but one step at a time. A healthy economy benefits everyone, not just the retailers.

HID power

Reaction score
I here ya' Jarred! It is tough for Canadian business right now and particularly those close to the border. Building supplies (drywall, windows, doors), in particular, are coming across the Montana, Idaho, Washington border in droves. Dimensional lumber, not so much.

Parts for recreational vehicles also a hot commodity. I hear there is a movement to release some of the tariffs making the pricing more equitable (ie Skidoo products) but when that will happen nobody knows.

I shop local very seldom because I can't. Most of our goods are bought in Alberta as it is the same distance from Elkford to Fernie as it is to the Pass. Major shopping is in Lethbridge as it is the same distance as Cranbrook. On-lilne purchases, like a 509 helmet or goggles are over half the price on-line and as I said before, a day trip is an outing and generally no taxes are charged at the crossing for smaller $$$, so the local economy suffers. If I had to buy something where I depended on warranty, it would be in Canada and not across the border. But as a businessman, I doo hear your pain!

Nothing personal ferniesnow....I don't know what business you are in.....but the last few words of your post bother me.....my comments are directed at business owners in general....

Business's expect us to "buy locally"...."support your community"......but, yet YOU BUSINESS OWNERS are some of the 1st ones to run accross the border when you need something for yourself! How about practicing what you preach!!

Case in point;
A guy I know is part owner of a very successful JD dealership in the Vegreville-Fort Saskatchewn area. Being the general sales mgr, he always preached "buy from your local dealer" and then when he needed a personal vehicle.....guess what?? Runs across the border because he could save a few bucks......sure helped the local GM dealer next door with that

So, when you "businessmen" don't follow the guidlines you ask us to follow and don't buy locally......why would I. And this goes much much farther than just trucks.

Business owners need to remember something. When I see your new truck parked in front of your store and I see a dealersticker on it from somewhere else and I know there are dealers in your own town or selling area, my attitude changes about how loyal I am to you. If you can't shop locally, don't bitch & moan when it happens to you.

Top Bottom