Cigar taxes across US border??

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how it works if a friend who lives in the states and buys them then ships them to canada. I ordered some from a company in the states and got hit with pst tax in alberta and it was based on the cost of the cigars, but if my friend ships them as a gift it won't be based on any cost. Any insight would be great.

Last edited:

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1633792398394.png

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks^^, Yeah I just wondered if it was shipped from a friend down in the US up to canada how would the duties and taxes go? How would they base it since there was no price for them to go off.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Thanks^^, Yeah I just wondered if it was shipped from a friend down in the US up to canada how would the duties and taxes go? How would they base it since there was no price for them to go off.
The sender has to make a reasonable declaration on the gift price.
Got to remember, it is not customs first day on the job and they are actual people with a brain that can make reasonable assumptions on prices.
If not, I am sure goggle is their friend just like us ordering online or comparing prices.
Just saying. LOL

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got to remember, it is not customs first day on the job and they are actual people with a brain.
made me laugh, I was stopped by customs years ago, was held for hours while we argued about my car tires. They felt I just bought them and was trying to sneak em across with out paying duty. The tires were winters that were 2 yrs old. Finally had to drive home and bring back the bill of sale. No apology just a dumb ass smerk.
Was not his first day and left his brain at home.

Top Bottom