Unexpected hazards.. I need some help

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-Getting wet, injured, lost, etc could easily lead to hypothermia (death)
-the ever so unpredictable swamp donkey, had one friend get his sled trampled on the trail

SledKitten

Reaction score
Riding along, come to what looks like a ledge and you're actually sitting ontop a cornus that could break off at any moment. Also, guys that just rip on the groomed trails with no consideration of meeting other sledders on blind corners. Head on's can cause serious damage to sled and or rider. Whether its morning or night, never know who's coming or going on the trails.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One you gotta watch out for around here is the piece of redi rod they use to mark the culvert alongside the forest service roads. If you are riding the banks those little puppies will scare the he!! outa you.
Even better grader blade wear bars marking culverts.....they don't bend.

Polaris Lady

Reaction score
Sunken fire pits! We came upon one that had sunken about four feet, huge hole! And it was just below what would be a jump off a boulder( in better snow conditions) we found this at the bottom of what fernie snow calls cowboy basin.

Hirmkin

Reaction score
Nast70 it not silly, it happened to my brother who had a nasty encounter with a branch, it went between his helmet and his head next to his eye. He was in Cataract Creek last year when this happened. He was taken to Black Diamond hospital where they tried to clean it up. They couldn’t clean it up as it went into his skull about 3”. It was full of bark, fungus and other nasty stuff. They sent him to Foothills here in Calgary for more treatment. After a few hours in surgery they had to remove a 4” round piece of his skull from his eye socket to the back of his head. A month and a half in the hospital he was released. Several more months of healing and then in October he went back to the hospital to have his skull repaired with a synthetic piece that was put in. In a couple more weeks he has a follow up and hopefully they will let him to go riding again.

lman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch out for guide wires where someone has knocked off the marker. Hit one New Years day while driving into sun light, sliced off tip of handgrip and smoked elbow. Could have been serious.

Burried trees!

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMHO... flat light or fog is #1, I have seen more wrecks due to visability issue than anything else, #2 would be parking lot hero's, #3 would be those that left the pile of beer cans up on the mountain!!

and cougars like mareshow said.... :)

Last edited:

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Racing on the trails, Never know when you'll hit on coming sleds.

Snow blindness, sometimes can't tell a dip from a bump

Ya that happened to me when an idiot came racing around corner smoked me and wrote my sled off. Oh and then there was the guy that hit his left handed throttle instead of his brake as I was walking to pay the trail fee and ran me over. That was a welcoming unexpected hazard I would have never expected to happen

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding alone and blowing a belt is no big deal. Happens to me all the time. My fear is jammed up belt cords in the clutches which require you to pull the clutch to remove them. Of course the tools for that are in the garage or trailer. So now starts the long walk home cause there's no one to double you home

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest hazard sledders face a lot of the time is driving to and from the hill. Never had any issues when sledding 4 days over Xmas, but almost got broadsided by a careless driver and almost got head-on'd by some skiers rushing to Fernie.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From personal experiance, being 'too comfortable' on a trail you've been on 100's of times. My uncle was riding home from a neighbors, took his eyes off the trail for a split second and bad things happened. He's in a wheelchair now.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
going into a farmers field and he put a set of harrows upside down just under the snow at the entrance of the field....no no trespassing sign..just an arshat

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled skiers. Once I was going down a hill that I had just climbed. That had trees along the top of it. And a skier came out of the trees strait above me and I turned and started to carve along the hill and cut him off. He hit me and wiped me off the sled and we both went rolling. He started cursing me and I was cursing him cause I couldn't see him coming, one second he wasn't there the next second he was hitting me!

Top Bottom