Ultimate Target # of Days Riding?

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So for those who have unlimited free time what is the ultimate target # of days riding in the mountains in a season? Last year got 49 days in at 52 years old and still working full time. The way Oil and Gas is going definite possibility there will be more time available next year... Is it 75 days or 100? More? Assuming one stays in good health. We ride Revy and a little south of there almost exclusively...

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'unlimited free time' that just makes my pants tight. 100 days would be pretty sweet. That's 5 days/week from mid November to late March. Figure a few missed days here and there and that leaves some days for earlier and late spring riding. With a young family, full time job and other commitments I am lucky to hit 20 days a season and that's from as early as possible to as late as possible, usually Nov to May.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'unlimited free time' that just makes my pants tight. 100 days would be pretty sweet. That's 5 days/week from mid November to late March. Figure a few missed days here and there and that leaves some days for earlier and late spring riding. With a young family, full time job and other commitments I am lucky to hit 20 days a season and that's from as early as possible to as late as possible, usually Nov to May.
20 days is pretty good with a young family! Before you know it they will be out riding with you and it gets easier and easier, not cheaper though!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish I had unlimited free time to go ride.

I aim for 20 days a season. Seat time.
Last two years were good. Made 26 last year

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20 days is pretty good with a young family! Before you know it they will be out riding with you and it gets easier and easier, not cheaper though!
You bet Jim. He was scared of the Kitty Cat last year but he is pumped to ride it this year!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Generally, I rode 50-75 days a winter depending on weather and various other issues beyond my control. Last year with the move to Salmon Arm, two minor surgeries, the scamdemic, and completing the basement development in a hew house, I only got 16 days. This year, I am hoping to get back up to normal. I will predict that it will be over 60 days and I am looking forward to it!!

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I aim for about a day a week November-March so usually end up around 20-25 days . Miss the odd week for pour conditions but usually do a few 2-3 day trips so evens out. I try and do mid week as I have a young family and flexible work schedule in the winter

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30-35 days the last few years. Much easier when they grow up and pull your ski but a lot more expensive!!! Wouldn’t trade it for anything. Plus I get to hang out with JungleJim and his crew on occasion and that’s priceless!!!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish i could get out as much as you guys, the most days I've ever rode was 28 days of seat time in the mountains in 2015, and its been dwindling every year since then. Lack of people to ride with seems to be why the number of days is less and less. Most of my buddies either cant afford it no more due to work slow and kids, lost their nerve for it or the wife just wont let them go anymore so they all sold sleds or got trail sleds now for here. Last year I got a whopping 2 days in. I can ride lots around home or within an hour in good snow so that helps. Ideally id like to get 20 days in the hills this year, one of my buddies recently punted his ol lady to the curb lol and hes getting back into riding so heres hoping for some killer snow this year

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I try to get as many days as possible too but can't believe how fast the km's get racked up on these sleds now compared to a few years back. They used to be a 4 year sled now after 2 they seem to be getting a bit rough. Definitely I need to find that balance between making money and spending it.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I try to get as many days as possible too but can't believe how fast the km's get racked up on these sleds now compared to a few years back. They used to be a 4 year sled now after 2 they seem to be getting a bit rough. Definitely I need to find that balance between making money and spending it.
Definitely two big issues with hitting 100+ days: 1) back/knees wore out 2) sled wore out and a big $$$ hit trying to unload it.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best year was 3500km, i try to average 2000-2500km a year. not sure what that totals in ride counts but i am sure it a decent number.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Generally, I rode 50-75 days a winter depending on weather and various other issues beyond my control. Last year with the move to Salmon Arm, two minor surgeries, the scamdemic, and completing the basement development in a hew house, I only got 16 days. This year, I am hoping to get back up to normal. I will predict that it will be over 60 days and I am looking forward to it!!
Do find there is just never enough time in the day?
I now wonder how I got all the same chores done plus what I want to do in a day.
Got the same stuff done when I was working but wow.

Looks like I am shooting for over 100 again but this BEER VIRUS thing is still lingering its ugly head.
Unlike you Doug. I am still in the same house and did not have those new upgrades and moving.

Should be a great season......

Just remember folks.

1 day sledding is better than a day at work.
It doesnt matter how many days you go.
Just savour and enjoy the day or days you are there doing what you want.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Unlike you Doug. I am still in the same house and did not have those new upgrades and moving.

Should be a great season......

Yes, it should be. A heavy snowfall today on the hills in town. The snow plows even plowed the streets!! I'm just about ready to do and when the time comes I will be out as much as possible. I may have to get you to show me Zipper Mouth Creek or No Tell 'Um Meadows this winter.

Top Bottom