Twisted M1000 Race Gas Build

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just thought id share the build for my new toy this winter. Wrote it off last winter by pushing the bulkead back two inches from cresting a hill climb and landing bulkhead first on a boulder. Here are some of the details on the rebuild:

2008 M1000

New Nightfire Tunnel and Bulkhead
Brand New M1000 Crate motor - shaved heads for race gas
Twisted Turbo Kit - 3076 Garrett Over-sized Turbo
Twisted Clutch kit - New primary spring, 93 gram weights
secondary helix, spring and cap.
Jaws Turbo Stinger
Updated Boost-it Fuel Box
Oil Tank Delete
Shorty Cat seat
All new plastic
Black Diamond Lite HT 59/61 gears
Wildchild steering post bracket
Black mesh hood
Anti-Stab Rail kit
162"x3" Track
2 wheel kit

Here are Before & After Pics!

tunnel.jpg

pipes.jpg

IMG-20120902-00762.jpg

IMG-20120902-00767.jpg

IMG-20120902-00774.jpg

IMG-20121020-00146.jpg

IMG-20121020-00147.jpg

turbo.jpg

track2.jpg

engine.jpg

imagejp5.jpg

sled5.jpg

sled7.jpg

sled8.jpg

sled9.jpg

First ride is Revy Nov 17th for a break in/ tune ride. Hopefully wont break anything! lol

Last edited:

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks great, love the nightfire chassis, not sure if you left the dd installed or that was a mock up but the rubber dampener that goes between the dd and engine mount is important, on my 07 I got a little angry and wrecked mine and never reinstalled it, luckily prior to riding I was talking to one of the big cat turbo guys and he listed a bunch of problems not running that dampener can cause, I think it was around $30 for a new one, hopefully you have better luck this season, going to be a fun one on that beast

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beauty!! Smokindave help u with this??? Nice job nevertheless!! Should be a really fun winter for ya!

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beauty!! Smokindave help u with this??? Nice job nevertheless!! Should be a really fun winter for ya!

Ya you bet Dave took it by the reins for me after i heard some good things about him. He does extremely detailed work, checks everything 3-4 times. But he does like to work alone which was saddening to me lol He cant stop talking otherwise. so i hung out and polished some turbo goodies and tried to learn component details lol None the less, i cant wait for the first trip. My first turbo i didn't really trust to do myself. Once i start with maintenance and have it all down pat i will be much more comfortable. I will let everyone know how it runs and turns out, i know dave is more than willing to take on more projects and he's a pleasure to deal with. goes above and beyond.

and ya that was just a mock-up tantrum. But very good info to have thank you.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very nice looking sled, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm curious as to why if you're going through all the work, why not change the rear tunnel section? Just asking that's all.

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very nice looking sled, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm curious as to why if you're going through all the work, why not change the rear tunnel section? Just asking that's all.

im already at $18,000... I had to stop somewhere lol Otherwise it would be that, K-mod suspension, this, that and whatever else.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's no fun...I thought there was hidden speed secrets! LOL

Sled looks great BTW!

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
couple more updated pics :) New Super LED headlight, wiring, boost lines, injector lines and guages installed.

IMG-20121116-00035.jpg

guages.jpg

sled15.jpg

sled13.jpg

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well its official my baby is all done! Here is the finished product!

enginedone.jpg

bars.jpg

sled16.jpg

underhood.jpg

sleddone-1.jpg

omg.jpg

BOOM! I cannot wait to test this bad boy out. Hope everyone enjoyed the build :)

Last edited:

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sleds are loaded,just waiting for Slim and we are off to Revy.Yesterday as I heat cycled the motor I was making 5 lbs boost on the stand,with the Boost It fuel box with the numbers programed in to the box by NM this sled was running 11.5 on the AF......outta the box this sled is going to ROCK.
Update tonight after our ride!!!

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok im just posting this to see if anyone else has run into this problem. I have been getting a lot of opinions and its starting to just confuse me. So feedback from anyone thats had an issue just like this would be great.

Whats happening is everything is running good until i reach full boost for more than 1-2 seconds it dies out and almost puts me over the handlebars. The engine doesnt stall, it just cuts out then comes back after a couple of seconds.

Here are some details:

Twisted turbo race gas kit
3076 turbo
Boost-it control box

Twisted turbo m1000 testing - YouTube (this is how its running. fine when i don't hit full boost for more than a second)

Boost: About 11# from what i gathered running C111 and Avgas mix 50/50

-Now i have had a couple different opinions on this, that this 50/50 mix isnt a high enough octane for 11# give or take, and that i should be running C111 straight. Ive also told the 50/50 mix should be fine. However, i was tickling detonation as my plugs came very loose on me even though my A/F ratio gauge was reading rich at 11.4 when 11.8-12.2 is recommended.

So then we figured perhaps fuel pressure. But i tested it last night after checking my pistons and rings to see no signs of damage luckily and that the fuel pressure was going up as required to as high as 50-52psi (+1 psi per # of boost) with 10-12# boost spiking. (no load so hard to be accurate but its coming up so crisis averted)

I have also been trying to turn down the boost with the boost controller but this thing is tricky and ive had two different opinions on how it works. Trying to turn it down to at least eliminate too high of boost for octane levels and go from there.

I have also been told perhaps its electrical. Neil and Shain that build these kits both figured it wasnt because it runs perfect until i hit peak power then shuts down. But anything is possible so im trying one thing at a time. I have also heard that replacing the stator has fixed some strange issues from guys at snowest. No leaks or damages on anything from what i can see.

I talked to neil and i am going to try and give it some more fuel on the top end as well from 7200-9000rpm as a few other guys think it might be leaning out at full boost and thats why its tickling detonation.

ANY information or feedback would be much appreciated in this dilemma. I think im going to give linderman a call today to get one more opinion and then go do some more testing. Thanks in advance!

just called linderman, stumped him too.

Last edited:

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I had my 08 m1000 act like it was running out of fuel. I had the stator checked and it checked out fine. So I had a new high pressure fuel pump installed and a fuel pressure regulator installed. Took it to revy and had to constantly keep cranking up my fuel pressure because when u smashed the throttle it would almost stall out until u let off the throttle then it was fine. Just about to the truck and it finally quit running. Turns out the stator that test good was now nfg.

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I had my 08 m1000 act like it was running out of fuel. I had the stator checked and it checked out fine. So I had a new high pressure fuel pump installed and a fuel pressure regulator installed. Took it to revy and had to constantly keep cranking up my fuel pressure because when u smashed the throttle it would almost stall out until u let off the throttle then it was fine. Just about to the truck and it finally quit running. Turns out the stator that test good was now nfg.

This is the second time ive heard this now. Even know they test good they arent. WTF is with that and whats the point of testing? lol Was yours almost detonating like mine though even though it was reading rich right before full boost? Thanks for the info man

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im going to have to reverse this statement. It LOOKS like dave does great work at first glance. But im having more and more problems, and he's a crook. He wired my bloody extra injectors to a ground and not 12V, lucky i didnt blow my engine. and the entire time he tried to blame it on my old ecu, new engine stator or anything but his work. He only siliconed half my plastic to my chassis so snow kept coming into my engine compartment, as well as to where my ecu was mounted and got covered in water. I asked him 3 times to make me receipts for all my parts and labor and to this day he have given me nothing and wont. I was supposed to get my old engine parts back so i could rebuild it, and i was supposed to get my attitude box from my twisted kit. but by some miracle and co-incidence, after he couldnt give me any customer service he put all my stuff outside on a pallet in the snow where he claims they got stolen. ironically only the two things he could use and make money off of. I asked him numerous times to just give me my effing paperwork since i changed the engine and bulkhead, but the man is incapable of taking responsibility. The worse part is that he never apologized even once that he messed up. I had to take it to Dean at Mad Motorsports in leduc and we got it figured out and fixed. I spoke too soon, he might have some decent prices are parts, but i would advise everyone to stay away until he gets more experience under his belt on his own sleds and learns how to deal with customers properly. He will be lucky if i dont go to Canada Revenue so they turn his life upside down to get my receipts after i sent him $18,000. I'm still considering it. He seemed like a good guy, and he isnt bad until things go wrong, and has no clue what customer service means. And he has no ability to run a business working on sleds for people. He forgot all his tools for our tune trip, and was more concerned about his sled than the one he built me. All im saying is unless you know him well, dont give him your sled. Buying parts and things from him might be fine. But at the end of this, dave gave me the worse experience ive ever had after 16yrs of sledding. But, each to their own. I was mind boggled that this is how it all ended. And now embarrassing as it is i have to get receipts from Neil and Shain, luckily they are always extremely willing to go over and above. As was Dean at Mad Motorsports. I normally wouldnt make this kind of post, but i think it should be exposed and people should be warned to at least put things on paper before you deal with him.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im going to have to reverse this statement. It LOOKS like dave does great work at first glance. But im having more and more problems, and he's a crook. He wired my bloody extra injectors to a ground and not 12V, lucky i didnt blow my engine. and the entire time he tried to blame it on my old ecu, new engine stator or anything but his work. He only siliconed half my plastic to my chassis so snow kept coming into my engine compartment, as well as to where my ecu was mounted and got covered in water. I asked him 3 times to make me receipts for all my parts and labor and to this day he have given me nothing and wont. I was supposed to get my old engine parts back so i could rebuild it, and i was supposed to get my attitude box from my twisted kit. but by some miracle and co-incidence, after he couldnt give me any customer service he put all my stuff outside on a pallet in the snow where he claims they got stolen. ironically only the two things he could use and make money off of. I asked him numerous times to just give me my effing paperwork since i changed the engine and bulkhead, but the man is incapable of taking responsibility. The worse part is that he never apologized even once that he messed up. I had to take it to Dean at Mad Motorsports in leduc and we got it figured out and fixed. I spoke too soon, he might have some decent prices are parts, but i would advise everyone to stay away until he gets more experience under his belt on his own sleds and learns how to deal with customers properly. He will be lucky if i dont go to Canada Revenue so they turn his life upside down to get my receipts after i sent him $18,000. I'm still considering it. He seemed like a good guy, and he isnt bad until things go wrong, and has no clue what customer service means. And he has no ability to run a business working on sleds for people. He forgot all his tools for our tune trip, and was more concerned about his sled than the one he built me. All im saying is unless you know him well, dont give him your sled. Buying parts and things from him might be fine. But at the end of this, dave gave me the worse experience ive ever had after 16yrs of sledding. But, each to their own. I was mind boggled that this is how it all ended. And now embarrassing as it is i have to get receipts from Neil and Shain, luckily they are always extremely willing to go over and above. As was Dean at Mad Motorsports. I normally wouldnt make this kind of post, but i think it should be exposed and people should be warned to at least put things on paper before you deal with him.

What you have failed to mention is that things went into the crapper once you started with the threats of violence,been to the police twice with texts of knocking my teeth out and coming to my house with a group of your friends.
I did not have any charges laid against you,the police after reading your texts did want too.So on their advice I have not been in contact with you at all other than to respond to your request that I leave your parts outside so you could pick them up.I did that and have not touched them or taken them.
You should of picked them up right away as you said you would,not four days later.
And if you made a deal with me for 18,000 for a turbo install you owe me a big chunk of money.
I will not respond to your lies and twisted accusations anymore.
You can go ahead and flame away,I can live with that but if you come to my house or make any more threats I will follow through with the police.
Now just go ride and enjoy your sled.
Merry Christmas.

Top Bottom