Turbo tuning

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is everyone aiming for when it comes to a/f ratio.

Ohh yea aero is working great at 5-6 pounds with very little tuning for the first run out. There lots left on the table for clutching still.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Idle is usually a higher a/f ratio. Usually around 14.5-15.2
Anything above idle, should be around, 12.2-13.2. That's a fairly good place to be.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I try to run at the 12.8 to 13.5, any leaner and it could be a issue on a long pull and any fatter and power drops quick.... ralph dynoed one last year and there was twenty hp on the table from 11.8 to 13.2... only look at the gauge at wot... will be supper lean any other time, on the fuel controller we have the first three fuel modes off then the last three we run around 3 to 6 lights

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea wot is all I am concerned about. We were playing around from 13.5 to 12.0. Left it for now at 12.4, good to see we're in the ball park.

What are you guys doing in the primary for setup

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 415 ramps in with 160/320 spring and 23 grams last year with a 162 three inch, secondary had a straight shockwave helix around the 3 to 4 turns out, this year went with a few changes and still testing it, what track speed are you seeing at that boost and what track?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is literally its first run out
Track speeds were 55-58mph steady with a 3" track. I think there is lots more left on the table.
All we did for clutching was slam it with weight and go from there. Stock is the base line

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with that with a three inch, what I was seeing last year with the 163 three inch, calibrating skid now and turbo veins can also give you some, good to here its running like it should

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No it's not bad at all really. I think we can get it around the 65 mark with clutching, gearing, and playing around with the exhaust as it is a variable vane turbo.

It would be good if some of the TSS runners could chime in on there setup.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
No it's not bad at all really. I think we can get it around the 65 mark with clutching, gearing, and playing around with the exhaust as it is a variable vane turbo.

It would be good if some of the TSS runners could chime in on there setup.
If you can get it in the mid 12s at wot then the motor will live longer. You may give up a slight amount of horsepower bjt the torque will be the same or better and that is what you need to maintain track speed.
You will need over 10 lbs boost to maintain over 60 MPH in deep snow.
Pretty sure most of the TSS guys are sworn to secrecy or don't really know what's in their clutch. Lol

Remember that there is a huge difference between max track speed and the sleds ability to hold track speed. Top speed recall buttons are just made for people to feel good about their sled. They don't painting a true picture of what's actually going on.

Last edited:

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can get it in the mid 12s at wot then the motor will live longer. You may give up a slight amount of horsepower bjt the torque will be the same or better and that is what you need to maintain track speed.
You will need over 10 lbs boost to maintain over 60 MPH in deep snow.
Pretty sure most of the TSS guys are sworn to secrecy or don't really know what's in their clutch. Lol

Remember that there is a huge difference between max track speed and the sleds ability to hold track speed. Top speed recall buttons are just made for people to feel good about their sled. They don't painting a true picture of what's actually going on.

Lol. TSS custom ground ramps, pretty sure it's an orange primary spring (I'm not sure on the numbers), Hytorque 2mm OS rollers. My secondary is running a purple spring and DJ's D2 helix and OEM rollers. They will be replaced with Hytorque's after my last ride this year.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we're at 63mph track speed consistent. Theoretically that us pretty much max given we are topped on the clutches, but still hitting the limiter. Gonna try a 49 bottom with shock wave next run out. Still running 5-6lbs. Snow to air works great. Fred you are right anything lower than a 12 on the a/f gauge and power drops quick. Right now it seems to like the 12.5 mark as mentioned. Power is really nice and linear just like stock... Except a lot more.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy mother it is working now. Just push a button and go.

19/49 gearing with 25gs in the clutch at 5-6lbs. Af in the mid range is 18ish and wot is 12.5ish, real crisp. To bad the weather wasn't better or I could get some vids up. Boost comes in earlier than listed above.

Anyone who is thinkin turbo, go get one. You will really question why you wasted a season thinking about it and waiting.

yammyman

Reaction score
I'm going TSS this summer. Can't wait! Planning on buying a place in Sorrento, B.C. In the next few months too! I'll be in TSS's backyard for help. I'm set!

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Older 1234 would you take some pictures of the installed unit on your sled. Some from both sides with panels open. Just want to see how clean it is and what is used for intake.
Pretty sure this is the way i will be going if i put wind to sled due to good service and performance from what i have heard and built in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures during install. For the most part it is a clean install with not a lot of clutter... Wire routing is where yea wanna keep it clean. We did change a couple minor things over Aerocharger instruction.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Top Bottom