Turbo Skid Setup

400hp

Reaction score
Don't go cmx way! Shop locally where people know what works where you ride, not in the US

• Thanks
Reactions: NM

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah the workin man, its all good. Had a buddy running low boost and he was just fine with stock suspension but when he turned it up he was out of control and felt uncomfortable. He bought a OVS kit two days later. Its cheaper and will get him by for now but I bet he buys a complete kit some day.

shady280zx

Reaction score
Ah the workin man, its all good. Had a buddy running low boost and he was just fine with stock suspension but when he turned it up he was out of control and felt uncomfortable. He bought a OVS kit two days later. Its cheaper and will get him by for now but I bet he buys a complete kit some day.

Well that is just it, with 240hp just injectors and a remap away......who knows how long the 6PSI will last! I am just looking forward to some seat time, or if all my parts don't arrive, wheelie time! The Five times I have been out this year have been on loaner or rental sleds! Been one of those years.

400hp

Reaction score
You may as well upgrade to boostit fuel management system! I had one on my HM kit last year and worked great, just rode at 7lbs
All year no issues

shady280zx

Reaction score
You may as well upgrade to boostit fuel management system! I had one on my HM kit last year and worked great, just rode at 7lbs
All year no issues

No Thanks, HM is leading the way with the Vipec ECU. I have heard nothing but great things about the Boost It Controller (they were my second choice,) but it still isn't a standalone ecu. Pull and go here as well! Just waiting for EBC at the moment....

400hp

Reaction score
No Thanks, HM is leading the way with the Vipec ECU. I have heard nothing but great things about the Boost It Controller (they were my second choice,) but it still isn't a standalone ecu. Pull and go here as well! Just waiting for EBC at the moment....

Leading the way!!! Ha!! Good luck with the standalone sys. and the service from HM.

shady280zx

Reaction score
Standalone works great....service sucks...Anyhow I will leave that one to another thread (will start one when I get some more mountain time,) we are talking about suspension on this one!

Last edited:

WesG

Reaction score
In my experience every sled that I have seen work properly for climbing has had either baker skid or a Properly setup easyride. I have yet to see anything else perform close to these two skids. I would run the baker as every one of them appears to work properly while only a few of the easyrides have worked properly and took some work to get them there. For info I have ran timbersled, coupled stock skids, bakers, but no kmod. The KMOD would be the only one I dont have much experience around so it is a bit of an unknown to me.

Now with that said the baker skid can be alot less playfull for creek jumping, bump wheelies, etc. It can be setup to do this but you have to take the 2 minutes to make the changes. If you do not want to take the time to make changes you may not be satisfied with the performance in different conditions, but if you do take the time you will love it.

JMHO

shady280zx

Reaction score
Hey Wes,

Thanks for the repsonse, and for pointing out 'climbing,' I should have said what type of riding I was into in the first place. I am more into boondocking, jumping, slowly getting into drops etc. Its been over a year since I even bothered to poke at a highmark. So with that being said would you still recommend the baker skid or something more along the lines of the timbersled? Sorry and I assume the baker skid is the racers edge setup? Or do you still find it superior just has to be setup as such? Thanks

WesG

Reaction score
For that style of riding I would go with something like you mentioned. The racers edge skid can do that but it does not feel as playful. Now if your boon docking involves going around trees followed by short steep pitches than the racers edge skid works very well. Tightly coupled skids are alway less playful thus they are all engineering a quick adjust transfer setup ie bakers magnetic blocks, kmod uses a machined rotating assembly, timber sled used to use spacers, etc. if you take the time mid ride to adjust these setups these skids can and will be almost as playful as the stock skid and still have the ability to ,with another adjustment to the coupling, hold the front end down on steep stuff. The issue is stopping and adjusting the coupling effect and weather or not you want to take the time to do so during your ride.

shady280zx

Reaction score
nothing like a good meal at the cabin

Yeah like some beef jerkey, granola and a coors light out of the backpack, while someone is getting dug out.

Hey I got a better idea and it will save us both a lot of money. What if we just hook on some muff pots, and start hanging out at cabins doing doughnuts and conjuring up muffpot cookbook ideas. We can publish the book, hell we wont even need turbos or nice suspension to do that!

Last edited:

shady280zx

Reaction score
For that style of riding I would go with something like you mentioned. The racers edge skid can do that but it does not feel as playful. Now if your boon docking involves going around trees followed by short steep pitches than the racers edge skid works very well. Tightly coupled skids are alway less playful thus they are all engineering a quick adjust transfer setup ie bakers magnetic blocks, kmod uses a machined rotating assembly, timber sled used to use spacers, etc. if you take the time mid ride to adjust these setups these skids can and will be almost as playful as the stock skid and still have the ability to ,with another adjustment to the coupling, hold the front end down on steep stuff. The issue is stopping and adjusting the coupling effect and weather or not you want to take the time to do so during your ride.

Having the ability to adjust everything is great like you said as long as it is used. By the sounds of things all the skids have made moves to make this possible. The only reason I am leaning towards the Timbersled is it will bolt in for $1k shipped (exit shock option.) The other options really add up, not that I am opposed to the money. But then I would want to do the front as well, and where does it stop haha. I think for the price and what I am looking out of it, it will deliver. I appreciate the response, much better than throw 3k at your sled because I did and I said so! haha

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having the ability to adjust everything is great like you said as long as it is used. By the sounds of things all the skids have made moves to make this possible. The only reason I am leaning towards the Timbersled is it will bolt in for $1k shipped (exit shock option.) The other options really add up, not that I am opposed to the money. But then I would want to do the front as well, and where does it stop haha. I think for the price and what I am looking out of it, it will deliver. I appreciate the response, much better than throw 3k at your sled because I did and I said so! haha

It doesn't stop.... You asked what skid to put in your turbo and majority says baker (racers edge) but your choosing the cheapest route anyway. In most cases You do get what you pay for

shady280zx

Reaction score
No one said I was putting in the cheapest option, I should of left the last post as a more open ended question. I asked for more of an explanation as to why I need to spend 3k on a skid... Which Wes at least did. Money is not an issue, I am well aware you get what you pay for. Maybe I need to ride one back to back with mine and the cheque book would come out. Err paypal transfer these days

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Timbersled upgrade to stock suspension is not the cheapest or worst product. I have the complete Timbersled suspension but only because I sold the new Stock suspension for the difference of buying the complete versus upgrade kit. The suspension with the upgrade kit will work just as well as the complete timbersled skid. Front shock will be the only difference.

Top Bottom