Turbo plugs.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone is running for spark plugs in turboed applications? One hotter? one cooler?

Thanks !

chad006

Reaction score
Stocker $25 a piece iridium plugs. Insane what they want for them at stealership.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't speak to sleds but everything else I've turboed I've started one heat range colder than stock.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't speak to sleds but everything else I've turboed I've started one heat range colder than stock.

I"ve heard that! Thats why i started the thread actually. I was surprised i had stock plugs in my sled when i was poking around last week.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I"ve heard that! Thats why i started the thread actually. I was surprised i had stock plugs in my sled when i was poking around last week.

The spark plug number for the ETECs is a NGK IFR8AG8. If you do some searching I think you'll find that there are not many other options out there for a specialized plug like this. If you try search for a IFR9AG8 which should be the next number colder you'll find it doesn't exist.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The spark plug number for the ETECs is a NGK IFR8AG8. If you do some searching I think you'll find that there are not many other options out there for a specialized plug like this. If you try search for a IFR9AG8 which should be the next number colder you'll find it doesn't exist.
Big John from SHR claims that the NGK BKR7EIX works great as a replacement plug.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you increase power, you go a step colder in a plug so it doesn't get too hot and cause detention or even worse pre ignition.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
#7 would be hotter plug.
To be clear I was talking stock replacement but yes I realize that. I haven't tried them personally just passing on the opinion of a trusted builder that would open up another line of plug that does have a 9 heat range.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Big John from SHR claims that the NGK BKR7EIX works great as a replacement plug.

I guess I can chime in this one :).... Run bkr7eix. Even though you are increasing power it is no where near enough to justify changing a heat range. That number is a iridium, the one Mariech is talking bout is the doo replacements, laser platinum. Iridium a will have a shorter life span but they are half the price. Will you see more power changing plugs... No. Will you see a cleaner running bottom end... Yes. Spark is spark that's it's only job. Hell you can cheap out and run standard v-power if you want! Most important thing is that it is a "resistor projected tip plug", and all ngk plugs are resistor plugs. Some are not projected tips

Now for indexing them no standard doo plugs, if your a person whom gets hung up on this 1 in 4 will be correct. Ultimately if you want it right you will need to cut off the sealing washer and use a copper indexing washer. Moroso sells them in 3 thickness's. One will match why you cut off and the other two are thinner/thicker. If you want to get trick and raise the compression on your stocker, thin it out more.

I am way to in depth about this, next topic I will bring up is my belt comparison!

sarem

Reaction score
holy crap. whats big deal about buying the odd spark plug. iv never heard of an etec fouling a plug. only changed mine cause had them out checking compression. in fact i quit even carrying spares. b a real bitch to change them on trail anyways. has anyone had trouble

Hydro

Reaction score
holy crap. whats big deal about buying the odd spark plug. iv never heard of an etec fouling a plug. only changed mine cause had them out checking compression. in fact i quit even carrying spares. b a real bitch to change them on trail anyways. has anyone had trouble

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I've changed mine on the mountain, at elevation; yes they are a bitch to change. Sled ran much better and responded to fuel map changes...

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The original post, i was inquiring about running hotter or cooler plugs when you turbo it and add extra injectors. Yes, we fouled plugs on a stock etec last year. Machine ran like pure crap, changed them out. Ran like new.

sarem

Reaction score
Had never heard of etec fouling plugs. I better start carrying spare set. Would suck to b stranded because of spark plugs

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had never heard of etec fouling plugs. I better start carrying spare set. Would suck to b stranded because of spark plugs

Probably pretty rare, it didn't strand us up on the hill but it was close, just ran like garbage. Thought it was the reeds, but pretty amazing how a new set will change the performance of the machine. They were badly oil fouled. Gap was too big as well.

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Strongly recommend changing plugs on boosted sleds every 1000km or less under bigger boost.. Found out last year the hard way and had electrode break clean off plug and damage piston.. Had over 1200km on plugs

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great idea, i'll swap mine out as i have 1170km on the engine only a few hundred boosted. What to you is big boost?

Top Bottom