Turbo or Supercharger?

DangleStar127

Reaction score
Whats better for a nytro? im looking for a low boost turbo or supercharger. i do all types of riding and i want to know what is the best all around performance gain turbo wise. thanks:beer:

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with a nytro with a turbo and a nytro with a supercharger last winter and the turbo was the king of the 2.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things about stage I supers on the Apex or Nitro. I went superC on an Apex for ease of install (I wanted to install myself so that if something went haywire on the hill I would have a clue). I just wanted low boost and from what I heard about throttle response and low end torque the super seemed like it would fit my riding. I'm running at 5-6psi on pump gas.

Install directions were great. I've only got the one ride on it last spring. Only issue I had was with the fuel controller (a loose connection).

There is a learning curve to running the fuel box - it's not plug and play like what I have heard an MCX is. You'll need a good AF gauge but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad to tune and adjust - I think I got it fairly close in the one day of riding.

For what it's worth that's my experience with a super on an Apex so far.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.....I just wanted low boost and from what I heard about throttle response and low end torque the super seemed like it would fit my riding......

What riding would that be? Logging or the upside down style you sometimes prefer? Just want to clarify. :D

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What riding would that be? Logging or the upside down style you sometimes prefer? Just want to clarify. :D

There's a reason I'm considering packing spare a-arms!

And the upside down thing is just temporary...it usually ends up on the skis when it's done rolling!:d

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After a BOV is installed i am told it increases greatly. I tell u after my first ride this winter if it accually does or not.

This is what I have hear as well. Without a BOV at lower throttle position the turbine is making boost that is not being used. So you have this tubine spinning with high pressure differential across it, the turbine is putting higher load on the engine than what is needed for the throttle position your running at so your less efficient. Putting a BOV helps relieve this especially if you are in and out of the throttle. It also prevents overheating on the trail - all the wasted power is just going into heating the air.

Your going to burn more fuel regardless to make the extra power

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I have hear as well. Without a BOV at lower throttle position the turbine is making boost that is not being used. So you have this tubine spinning with high pressure differential across it, the turbine is putting higher load on the engine than what is needed for the throttle position your running at so your less efficient. Putting a BOV helps relieve this especially if you are in and out of the throttle. It also prevents overheating on the trail - all the wasted power is just going into heating the air.

Your going to burn more fuel regardless to make the extra power

Do you burn more fuel if you're towing your buddies busted sled out on the rails? :D

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you burn more fuel if you're towing your buddies busted sled out on the rails? :D

Well, if you get to roost him all the way out it's worth every penny! Why do you think I tried to talk you into the short rope!

Apextenn

Reaction score
I have a supercharged apex and turbocharged nytro and other then the apex is a beast off the line the turbo is better through the entire powerband and allot easier to tune. If you go the supercharged way get the standalone fuel system it is another 1500 dollars but worth every penny as it will compensate for changes in altitude as well will use less fuel as the programmer on the supercharger is hard to set and require tweeks through the entire day. At high altitude the turbo will also maintain a higher boost making more power as the supercharges is 100% relative to engine rpm and when the atmospheric pressure decrease so does the amount of air going through the engine where the turbo can just spin faster and creat more boost through tweeking with the wastegate. Overall both systems greatly increase the power of the sled but for ease of operation the turbo in my opion is allot better the only downsize to turbos is they have a tendency to get cracks in the headers.

j_another

Reaction score
check with ken at PUSH TURBO i tested his first nytro kit last year and there is ZERO lag and is 110% reliable. we are putting one on my M1000 now to get it ready Haydays next month. i am sure it will be perfect as well

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call Steve at Slave Lake Yamaha he's a guru when it comes to the turbos and superchargers and which one will better suit your riding / driving style.

Top Bottom