Turbo Nytro on PROPANE!!

K-rok

Reaction score
Hey guys! For the past 3 years I've been running a supercharged Yamaha Nytro. I've been a yami lover all my life! The power is incredible! And I makes it a joy to ride! Yes its heavier than your typical doo or Polaris I know. The problem I'm having is the cost of fuel, VP is pricey! I have zero engine mods on my current machine, hence having to run the high octane fuel. Rescently I got a line on a propane powered turbo Nytro, and was wondering everyone's thoughts about it? Yes they are a rare setup and not many are around or available? Have you seen one? Have you rode one? What's the ins an outs of that kind of setup? I'm looking for honest opinions and not smart ass remarks about yamis being pigs and tanks. ! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't answer your question, but I ran a .060" head shim and 91 octane on my supercharged Nytro with zero issues up to bout 240hp. My son ran turboed with an .080" head shim and 91 octane up to 270hp. Might be another option for you. I know MPI will tell you not to run a headshim with a supercharger, but mine ran great.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
I owned the very first one in BC. Actually we did two up and my pal and I had them. Crazy boost levels are attainable as Propane octane is rather high. We rode them around 20lbs most of the time. The concept came from Brad Story and Val Simmons from Utah. Many people have done DIY builds since then.
My other pal in Kelowna is well into Propane on all sorts of vehicles and very savy around them. He has 2 of them still. One Nytro and One apex. If you buy this machine maybe I can hook you up with him. he likely has done some of the work on that particular machine if it was a Story build.
Ultra cool machines, and given the current cost of race fuel, not a bad way to go.
Good luck with the purchase.
RS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbopru on here has one. I have rode it some. I wouldn't say it is as responsive as my impulse nytro. It pulls hard, he's been runnning 21-23 pounds of boost.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Propane doesn't make the same power as gas, its got about a 30% power lost over gas. That is the reason why when your on propane you need very high boost levels. Its also not as efficient as gas in consumption.
Also something to keep in mind, you will need to raise your compression ratio to a minimum of 12:1 or higher to get some response from the motor.

Other considerations to think about with propane: your fuel capacity will be limited, if you run out your screwed, you can only fill up to 80% of tank capacity by law. Fuel tanks are much heavier by design then a gas tank, adding more weight to an already heavy sled. Propane hates cold weather, though this might not be a huge issue for many. In very cold temperature propane systems are known to give trouble like freezing regulators.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Propane might be hard to find? Lost of service stations are going to the bottle exchange program in stead of filling bottles. Just another thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with both things said above especially hard to find. A cheaper alternative to race fuel is 100LL av gas (can get at many Alberta airports) ran it in the nytros for years at the higher boost levels was somewhere between 1.3-1.7 per litre in recent times similar price you pay at pump in BC for premium. VP race fuel is defiantly the most expensive your paying for the barrels and the name I've paid as little as $3/litre(years ago buying full barrel) and as high as $7! . Another race fuel option is AFD in Edmonton bring your own jugs fill up at there pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom