* turbo for 08 ski doo summit? what the f**K*

toomuchsledformyowngood

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im pretty bored and i can sleep, so i decided to start doing some reaserch on turbos for my sled. not that im seriously considering buying one right away but id like to know my best options for next year possibly. but I cant seem to find too many of them for non-etec engines (for ski doo that is). i dont know if its just my lack of reaserching skill or their actualy arent that many out there.

One that that i did find is the turboboyz.com turbo performance garett 2871. the price seams reasonable on it, what worries me is the instalation because im pretty mechanicly inclined but electrical is beyond me. the only way i found that turbo kit is thanks to this vid

2008 Ski-Doo Turbo XP February 2011 - Turbo Kit by Turbo Performance - YouTube after watching this vid it lead me to this video

Ski-doo Turbo Xp - YouTube which confuse the hell out of me especialy the end cause it seems like he has a hole bunch of additional electronic just avoid from the turbo exploding the engine.

so basicly im asking you guys is you know more about this garrett 2871 or the aerocharger systems or any other turbos that are compatible to an 2008 summit and how they are to instal . any info will help big time. thanks

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good guy to call on here is Deano670 from mad motorsports he knows lots about turbos. He can make the 800r work with a turbo. Do a search for his number on here and call him.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with them but from what i have been told is a carb sled turbo is a tuning nightmare and are prone to melting down hence the reason you see tons of turbo cats and poo's.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good guy to call on here is Deano670 from mad motorsports he knows lots about turbos. He can make the 800r work with a turbo. Do a search for his number on here and call him.

X2 on what he said. Get in touch with Deano, he might have a stand alone fuel management system that can replace your carbs. Otherwise, buy an etec and turbo it if you want boost because in the end it will wind up being cheaper to buy the etec and boost it than to boost your 08 with carbs.

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure if you just call specialty sleds or mountain magic they could hook you up with something even if you already have the turbo.

toomuchsledformyowngood

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on what he said. Get in touch with Deano, he might have a stand alone fuel management system that can replace your carbs. Otherwise, buy an etec and turbo it if you want boost because in the end it will wind up being cheaper to buy the etec and boost it than to boost your 08 with carbs.

how much is a brand new e tec. does anyone now?

toomuchsledformyowngood

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$15k to properly Turbo an etec? I work with a guy who's been running the aerocharger kit this year for 2000km and no problems so far. And the kit was $8k installed.

yeah 8 sounds about right. cheaper if i did it myself, then again i probably need some kind of special computer that costs 3000 or some ch!t like that

toomuchsledformyowngood

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so pretty much if i wanted more power with the engine i have at the moment that wont cause me endless headaches ill have to go to a big bore kit?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get a 2011 Etec for $8,500ish right now, add boost for $7k is close to $15K. Yes it will probably cost you this much to boost your old sled. Buy a new one and spend the $$$ or stay away. Carbed turbos are few and far between for a reason, homemade carbed turbos are like unicorns - they don't exist.

Knowing things about how a piston moves up and down is nothing like knowing port timing, head design, vacuum references, ignition advance/retarding, fuel requirements, pipe design, oh the list goes on and on. Its not as easy as adding a blower and jetting differently, you have to build a sealed unit intake, you will have to seal the pipe better, or weld up a lot of cracks, are you going to run an intercooler? Air/air, air/water, nothing? how much boost are you thinking and what fuel do you want to run? where are you going to add boost to your carbs to keep the boost from blowing them open? etc etc.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
modman knows his stuff on this area and 95% of the doo guys will agree DONT turbo the carbed xp's stick a 880 BB in there and be done with it! that 880 when properly setup is a monster and works real well! I had an 860 from split second w/jaws twins,team clutching,14.4-1 heads 50/50 c-111 mix and that beast RIPPED! I can only imagine a properly tuned 880!

toomuchsledformyowngood

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You got it. 880 kit it and enjoy it. You will probably be much happier.

im thinking that would be the best way to go cause that turbo lesson you just gave me gave me a migrane lol all jokes aside i really appreciate it, cause i dont have that much time to ride and i dont want to spend that time at hoe cause my sled is always in the shop draining my wallet. ;)

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure if you just call specialty sleds or mountain magic they could hook you up with something even if you already have the turbo.
I'll bet you either place won't help not to many guys bother with the carb turbo's any more with all the new technology but if it's a bigbore you seek mountain magic can hook ya up with an Artic edge 860 they rock

Last edited:

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with modman ,but i really like Trygstads 872 its a brute and customer service is awsome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom