Tundra or Tacoma??

Cameo

Reaction score
Well, here is my 2 cents.
You said you wouldn't be using it for towing much except for thre big camping trips. Isn't that where you actually need a truck?? It may seem like you only need it for that one week or weekend, but thats when it will be overloaded. I have an 07 Tacoma Quad cab V6, its rated for 4500 lbs towing caacity. Te engineer who stamped that drawing must have ment " Only if the driver is 120lbs, and no passengers, and nothing in the back of the truck!"
I have a light utility trailer, and have hauled a full load to the dump, with about 300 lbs in the truck box, and it is over loaded. I have gone to Whitecourt with a quad in the box, a quad on the trailer, and me an my friend in the truck, and we rode the bump stops all the way. the Tacomas are terrible on fuel, (17 mpg @110 kph on cruise control Sherwood Park to Red Deer and back) and it is not fun to drive on ice, even with BFG Slalom ice radials. The week I bought mine, a guy at work bought a full size, and he loves it. 24 mpg and it can actualy haul something.
Please think about what you will haul (worst case) and base your decision on that the owners manual will clarify, that the load capacity is based on ocupants as well, and these Tacomas should not be clasified as trucks. they are a large Tercel with crappy gas mileage.
Oh, and I got mine from SH Pk Toyota, and have not had a lot of luck there. I just hit 60,000K and it won't be going back now that the warranty is off. If you want a small truck, try next door and look at the Ridgelines. Less $, more options, more mileage, more warranty, , more room, more laod and towing capacity. Or better yet, get a 1/2 ton.

Just my opinion.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm well, the 2009 Tacoma has 6500 lb towing capacity...which is more than enough for what we need right now anyway. I see Tacomas pulling holiday trailers all the time, probably not as ideal as a V8 but I live in the city so I will be doing alot of city driving as well. The majority of the time the truck will be pulling/hauling dirtbikes and a utility trailer, a holiday trailer the odd occasion. Like I said, we are leasing the truck so when and if we eventually move into a house or get an acreage a bigger truck will be more handy likely but we can give the Tacoma back and get a Tundra instead. Some people may not have good luck at Sherwood Park Toyota...but I am FRIENDS with the owner/manager so yeah it's likely I'll have better luck with them then most people walkin off the street tryin to buy a vehicle...

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot one minor but important detail. I live in an apartment condo, the parking stalls are very tiny and there are not a lot of full size pickups in the parkade for a good reason...they're too big! The parkade door is only like 6' tall, and most full size trucks are 6' or taller, the Tacoma, fortunately, is just under 6' so it will actually fit in the underground..this is just one of the things I had to think about when buying a truck because I dont want to leave my new truck outside all winter, or in the summer for that matter because peoples vehicles get broken into all the time around our hood ... :eek:

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You said you wouldn't be using it for towing much except for thre big camping trips. Isn't that where you actually need a truck?? It may seem like you only need it for that one week or weekend, but thats when it will be overloaded. I have an 07 Tacoma Quad cab V6, its rated for 4500 lbs towing caacity. Te engineer who stamped that drawing must have ment " Only if the driver is 120lbs, and no passengers, and nothing in the back of the truck!"
I have a light utility trailer, and have hauled a full load to the dump, with about 300 lbs in the truck box, and it is over loaded. I have gone to Whitecourt with a quad in the box, a quad on the trailer, and me an my friend in the truck, and we rode the bump stops all the way. the Tacomas are terrible on fuel, (17 mpg @110 kph on cruise control Sherwood Park to Red Deer and back) and it is not fun to drive on ice, even with BFG Slalom ice radials. The week I bought mine, a guy at work bought a full size, and he loves it. 24 mpg and it can actualy haul something.
Please think about what you will haul (worst case) and base your decision on that the owners manual will clarify, that the load capacity is based on ocupants as well, and these Tacomas should not be clasified as trucks. they are a large Tercel with crappy gas mileage.
Oh, and I got mine from SH Pk Toyota, and have not had a lot of luck there. I just hit 60,000K and it won't be going back now that the warranty is off. If you want a small truck, try next door and look at the Ridgelines. Less $, more options, more mileage, more warranty, , more room, more laod and towing capacity. Or better yet, get a 1/2 ton.

Just my opinion.

Both Trucks are great choices, and being buddies with the manager is definitly going to help when you run into any troubles. I don't know if you'd want to be towing anywhere really far because i'd be hard on it, and the amount of fuel might be better off getting a hotel. For the kind of stuff you do I think it would workout fine, save $$$ on gas 80% of the time, and use a little more the other 20% when u go camping. I don't like the look of imports but they seem to be holding up a lot better.

Off-Topic
I'm lucky to get 8-10mpg on my truck in the town, and 12 on the highway. I drive an 04 Dodge Ram 1500, somethings messed up don't know what. We also have an 06 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab, samething, anybody else drive a dodge and get this? Also getting warranty on both of em is a pain, took the truck in like 4x for the rear diff till they finally put in a whole new one. Love the look of dodges but will prob never buy one again.

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The parkade door is only like 6' tall, and most full size trucks are 6' or taller, the Tacoma, fortunately, is just under 6' so it will actually fit in the underground..this is just one of the things I had to think about when buying a truck because I dont want to leave my new truck outside all winter, or in the summer for that matter because peoples vehicles get broken into all the time around our hood ... :eek:

Well, with that in mind be careful in the winter. Snow might pile up at the door a bit and make it even lower.

And congrats on the truck, hope it works out well for your needs.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't like the look of imports but they seem to be holding up a lot better.

I used to be a chevy girl, I had a Ram 1500 as well...pigs on fuel though and not practical at the time. Its not that I necessarily rave about Toyotas but they hold their value a lot better then domestic and actually the Tacomas have a better resale value then Tundra. I wouldn't necessarily consider them 100% import though... Toyotas are manufactured in California :) My buddy showed me his "inventory" list, he has tons of 2010 Tundras, all models on the lot right now...no 2010 Tacomas what so ever, but he has 10 that are currently en route from Canada..all 10 Tacomas pre-sold. Tacomas are in very high demand so I have no doubt that it's a good truck to have for value and what not... either way, thats why i'm leasing it...if i change my mind its no trouble to give it back :)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't like the look of imports but they seem to be holding up a lot better.

I used to be a chevy girl, I had a Ram 1500 as well...pigs on fuel though and not practical at the time. Its not that I necessarily rave about Toyotas but they hold their value a lot better then domestic and actually the Tacomas have a better resale value then Tundra. I wouldn't necessarily consider them 100% import though... Toyotas are manufactured in California :) My buddy showed me his "inventory" list, he has tons of 2010 Tundras, all models on the lot right now...no 2010 Tacomas what so ever, but he has 10 that are currently en route from Canada..all 10 Tacomas pre-sold. Tacomas are in very high demand so I have no doubt that it's a good truck to have for value and what not... either way, thats why i'm leasing it...if i change my mind its no trouble to give it back :)

Where are the photo's LadyDirt?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
here is what you need.................... Best of both worlds......Bwahahahaaha

boosttruck.jpg

Congrats......... always cool buying a new vehicle

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not gotten the truck yet, like i said it's on "hold", but its waiting very patiently for me to come and pick it up but the car has to sell first. My buddy at the dealership phoned today and said someone came into the dealership looking for a car like mine and they had none..so he called me immediately saying he has a buyer for my car..so we'll see what happens.. anyway here is what the truck looks like..

Attachments

• 09tacoma_4-1.jpg
    09tacoma_4-1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 91

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have not gotten the truck yet, like i said it's on "hold", but its waiting very patiently for me to come and pick it up but the car has to sell first. My buddy at the dealership phoned today and said someone came into the dealership looking for a car like mine and they had none..so he called me immediately saying he has a buyer for my car..so we'll see what happens.. anyway here is what the truck looks like..

Nice choice!

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the dark pinkish red color is growing on me....same with the truck..i WANTED the Tundra...but im settling for the Tacoma just cause im gettin a better deal with it being a demo and all

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice colour,mines the idigo ink (dark blue)they didnt have the burgandy then just red,Id have gottin it if they had,youll love it Imsure,I love mine.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca

Just my opinion.

I dont know where you get the 4500lbs because mine is an 05 and i get 6500lbs. I pull all the time with mine and it works great. it could deffinetly use more power but i can live with it. when im not hauling anything it hauls ass and i get usually around 24mpg. install trailer brake controller and air bags and u will have an awsome truck for everything u will ever need it for. After driving chevy work trucks i would not waste money on one of them. i have a 2500hd with the 6 liter and i get aroun 7-9 mpg in the feild. always some sort of electrical problem also.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I would like to proudly announce that I officially purchased my Tacoma and picked her up lastnight! :) It is a 2009 TRD/SR5 4-door, 6800km, barcelona red (I like to call it candy apple red) and I couldn't be more happier, she's perfect! I paid about $35,000, MSRP was around $38000 so I felt like I got a pretty wicked deal. Helps to know the owner/manager of the dealership I guess! Anyway I will post some pics shortly!

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get rid of all that!!!! gen. 2 SR5 85 long bed 22Re towes like an over worked donkey , gets passed by VDUB bus burnes blue like a caravan. but man that baby goes anywhere a side-by-side will!! anyways back to the topic???

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I would like to proudly announce that I officially purchased my Tacoma and picked her up lastnight! :) It is a 2009 TRD/SR5 4-door, 6800km, barcelona red (I like to call it candy apple red) and I couldn't be more happier, she's perfect! I paid about $35,000, MSRP was around $38000 so I felt like I got a pretty wicked deal. Helps to know the owner/manager of the dealership I guess! Anyway I will post some pics shortly!

By MRSP do you mean sticker? I sure wouldn't think it would be 38k new and you only got $3,000 off considering it is used?! Many trucks nowdays your getting 10k+ off sticker.

Anyways congratz. I never could get past certain things to even consider a import truck.

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By MRSP do you mean sticker? I sure wouldn't think it would be 38k new and you only got $3,000 off considering it is used?! Many trucks nowdays your getting 10k+ off sticker.

Anyways congratz. I never could get past certain things to even consider a import truck.

Could be $35k after taxes and other extras. And Toyota doesn't have many discounts on the Tacoma right now.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont no about Alberta but here in B.C its the same price everywhere,I looked around when I bought mine but every where had the same price on new ones,none would dicker either,they no they will sell them anyways so I bought local.Love the truck though,just about 90ks and not a problem,does need new tires this week though,what is everyone else runnin?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont no about Alberta but here in B.C its the same price everywhere,I looked around when I bought mine but every where had the same price on new ones,none would dicker either,they no they will sell them anyways so I bought local.Love the truck though,just about 90ks and not a problem,does need new tires this week though,what is everyone else runnin?

If you buy ANY new vehicle and it needs anything but tires and brakes before 90,000km that is sad. I know a lot of people rag on dodge's, but it lasted 125,000km before I touched the front end and most of it is still tight. You should easily see 120-150k before needing much work. Mine would of went a lot longer i'm sure if it was stock :d

Top Bottom