Tundra or Tacoma??

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buying a truck, would like some advice, thinkin either an older style Tundra ('05-'06) or a Tacoma around the same year or newer (pre-owned obviously). Want 4 door (quad cab preferrably) 4X4, etc... obvioulsy these trucks offer all the same options except one is V6 and one is V8...will be towing bikes, utility trailer and a 25 ft holiday trailer occasionally... which truck should I go with??

I also know the sales manager of Sherwood Park Toyota and he also owns 5 other dealerships so a good deal is in store for me whichever truck I end up with but I would just like to hear some feedback from people on here!

Thanks!

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't want a Toyota truck, but out of the two I would go for the Tacoma. Not sure about how well it tows a 25 foot trailer though.

I would say get a newer Silverado/Sierra, in my experience they have been great for towing large trailers. We pull a 33 foot camper with ours no problem.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Nissan Titan..... ask plio7 about his.......It's an awesome truck...

He looked at the toyota's did the comparisons and decided on the Nissan instead....

Either way definitly go V8...never has to work as hard

Good luck:d

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on how often you will be towing stuff really. If it is rare that you tow the travel trailer, get the tacoma. The fuel savings will be nice with a smaller truck. Either way I would try to find one with the TRD towing package, for ease of mind. I know a dude who tows a trailer with a tacoma, he put air bags in to keep it level and has no issues.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt be towing the camping trailer a lot, just for big camping/biking trips couple times a summer, mostly just our 8' snowbear and dirtbikes. We prefer Toyota, mainly because our buddy is a sales manager and get us a SWEET deal...otherwise, I don't mind the Titan either but I hear they get terrible mileage compared to the Toyotas...I have a few friends who have them and like them but if i can save G's $$$ on a Toyota then to me thats my best route. Just wanted to hear some plus and minus on each truck, all your feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
I've had my Tundra for a couple years now and it's been the most dependable truck that I've ever had. I finally had to take it in for some minor service and the shop owner asked where I've been. I told him that I don't need him any more cause I bought a toyota. I had my GMC in there constantly.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN8345a.jpg
    DSCN8345a.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 211

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a '97 Tacoma for 3 years and it was dead relaible (had 88,000kms when I traded it in). I had it off the ground a couple of times in sand dunes and pavement and never even knocked it out of alignment.

The mileage was not what I thought a small truck would get. I never did get any better than 20 mpg on the highway (3.6 litre V6). My wifes Tahoe got better mileage.

Because your thinking of towing I'd go Tundra. The Tacoma could do it but your going to work it HARD. While your towing your going to wonder what gas mileage is 'cause you probably will not get a whole mile to a gallon!

And your going to get better gas mileage towing with a Tundra, it might be worse in the city but I'd bet it will be better on the highway.

My dated opinion....I'm sure both will be stupid relaible.

l8r Shawn.

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i used to have an 06 tacoma 4.0l v6....all i can say is wow...i loved that truck so much...it was fast! never towed anything but hauled my sled around a few times and that truck always got great gas mialage...definitaly go with tacoma...would have bought another one but the f150 caught my eye

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 06 Tacoma,its been great,just turned 90000 km,still has origanal everything,brakes,tires,no bearing gone,bet my ford,chev and dodge buddys wish they could say that,I use it for haulin my toys around,been on lots of gravel,not even a rattle yet.Mines the 4dr TRD sport,automatic,get a standard tranny you can only get the 5ft box not the 6ft.it will tow 6500lbs with the tow pack,haul 1500lbs,plus has a biult in invertor for them Margaritas out in the boonies,I bought a blender just for the truck:d.The V6 has tons of jam,fuel milage is good till you get over 110,this is my first Toyota and Im very Impressed,the best new vehicle Ive bought so far as far as problems go,Id recomend one anyday.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt be towing the camping trailer a lot, just for big camping/biking trips couple times a summer, mostly just our 8' snowbear and dirtbikes. We prefer Toyota, mainly because our buddy is a sales manager and get us a SWEET deal...otherwise, I don't mind the Titan either but I hear they get terrible mileage compared to the Toyotas...I have a few friends who have them and like them but if i can save G's $$$ on a Toyota then to me thats my best route. Just wanted to hear some plus and minus on each truck, all your feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

TITAN.......lol. fuel mileage is is nearly identical to the tundra...tacoma (none of which are any screamin hell) i am sure is a great truck as are all toyota products......BUT and i will get chewed i am sure for this BUT i test drove everything, yota's chev's dodge ford, then the TITAN......numbers and chit talk will tell other wise but i can throw a 1300lb truck camper in my 07 titan and hold a steady 1700rpm up hill at 110km/hr with a boat on the back. found it more comfortable, more responsive (power is there the minute you step on it) and from experience it will out run, a 08 tundra, 07 rumble bee, any f150 its lined up against.....and will give a silverado SS a run for its money

also my 07 2wd has a tow rating of 8900lbs, pay load of just over 1400lbs for the towing aspect........(which is also lower than all 08's and 09's)

check with toddbd01 on towing mileage on the tundra's too he can tell ya bout that

doublek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Tundra and love it. The 4.7 is peppy and has plenty of power to haul your toys around. I have an older 21 foot trailer too and it has no problem towing it around. I would definitely recommend the tundra.

Attachments

• P9050305.jpg
    P9050305.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 20

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
back to get on track of the question.....get the tundra the fuel savings won't be that noticeable over a tacoma and you will have the power and payload when you want it. with the tacoma you might be looking for it, IMO get the bigger truck and you should be a happy camper

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
back to get on track of the question.....get the tundra the fuel savings won't be that noticeable over a tacoma and you will have the power and payload when you want it. with the tacoma you might be looking for it, IMO get the bigger truck and you should be a happy camper

i agree with that get the bigger V8 better power and the fuel economy wont even be noticeable.....and if i dident get the titan tundra would have been my next choice

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TITAN.......lol. fuel mileage is is nearly identical to the tundra...tacoma (none of which are any screamin hell) i am sure is a great truck as are all toyota products......BUT and i will get chewed i am sure for this BUT i test drove everything, yota's chev's dodge ford, then the TITAN......numbers and chit talk will tell other wise but i can throw a 1300lb truck camper in my 07 titan and hold a steady 1700rpm up hill at 110km/hr with a boat on the back. found it more comfortable, more responsive (power is there the minute you step on it) and from experience it will out run, a 08 tundra, 07 rumble bee, any f150 its lined up against.....and will give a silverado SS a run for its money

also my 07 2wd has a tow rating of 8900lbs, pay load of just over 1400lbs for the towing aspect........(which is also lower than all 08's and 09's)

check with toddbd01 on towing mileage on the tundra's too he can tell ya bout that

I'm another Titan guy. Sooo much torque!

Myself, my father and a friend of ours all considered the Tacoma at one time. They are indeed a nice truck. However, we all came to the conclusion that if your going to tow a holidy atrailer....ever....and it's over say 22/23 feet, you will really like a bigger truck with a V8. Also think that if you are trying to pull the 25 foot trailer with a V6 you will likely consume more gas than pulling it with the V8. We did the calculations.

Whatever you choose they are nice trucks......but the Titan is better :p:beer:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I'm another Titan guy. Sooo much torque!

Myself, my father and a friend of ours all considered the Tacoma at one time. They are indeed a nice truck. However, we all came to the conclusion that if your going to tow a holidy atrailer....ever....and it's over say 22/23 feet, you will really like a bigger truck with a V8. Also think that if you are trying to pull the 25 foot trailer with a V6 you will likely consume more gas than pulling it with the V8. We did the calculations.

Whatever you choose they are nice trucks......but the Titan is better :p:beer:

you gott'er, thats the bottom line.....but the tundra had the closest comparable power in the 1/2ton class....good trucks reliable, either is a good choice but go with the bigger if your going to haul.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
i have an o5 tacoma crew cab. i pull 4 sleds with it all the time. i built a deck for it now so i can haul a sled or quad up there. could deffinetly use more power for hauling big loads but if your not in a hurry it will do. i put airbags on mine and that was the ticket. my buddy has a tundra and it has also been a real good truck. all i have ever drove is toyota, my old one is now up at schuswaps at the cabin just 4 a bush truck. it is a 92 with 400000 + km and is still running great.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go for the Tundra i love mine, it's the best truck i've ever had, no issues at all. However it does enjoy to drink the fuel more than you might expect.

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Tundra for work and fuel milage is really bad on it. Had it in to Mayfield several times and their response was if I'm getting 450km's per 95 litres on the highway that is above normal for the 5.7l Tundra. I had to laugh. Company bought a second Tundra and he's averaging 400 k's on the highway. The guys at Mayfield said that the 4.8l gets alot better mileage. We have a few Tacoma's aand the guys like them, pulling a 25 trailer is probably a little heavy for a tacoma. But what the hell it's alberta I've seen people pulling 25ft trailers with Honda CRV's. Either way myself I would stay with the domestics, but if I got a good deal on a Tacoma I would buy it.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your helpful tips and opinions!! SSooo... went to see the owner/general manager of Sherwood Park Toyota on Friday (we are friends with him) and we test drove the 2009 Tacoma TRD Sport (4 door double cab, 4X4, back up camera, etc, etc..) as well as the 2010 Tundra 4.7L ...we loved both of them for different reasons BUT, the deal on the Tacoma favoured us a little because our friend who owns the dealership is currently driving the Tacoma as a demo, so he is saving us a couple thousand on that unit, still under 5,000 km and he is going to lease it to us. So I have the Tacoma on "hold" to allow some time to try and sell my car privately rather then trade it in. Obviously our lease conditions are pretty flexible because I know the owner, I can bring the truck back whenever I want if I decide I want something else, we get free oil changes and maintenance, also a few accessories of our choice ...either way its a pretty good deal, and we're both really happy with the truck for now! :)

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt even think about buying a import if i was towing something ......especially if the trailer ends up weighing more than the truck......

Top Bottom