Tumbler Ridge Club

Donegal-BCSF

Reaction score
Website
www.bcsf.org
Is there any interest out there in keeping the Tumbler Ridge Riders Snowmobile Club active. I was told not to send memberships up there this year...as there was no interest. Would love to see this club keep going!

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm def interested. In fact I think we should rally together to get some trails cut, maybe a cabin somewhere in wolverine or a refurb, on the old bus at bull moose. We have the terrain, snow, and riders. We need to take this area to the next level. I'm willing to put in the time and effort if anybody else is. I'm down for donating cash money to start it off.

Donegal-BCSF

Reaction score
Website
www.bcsf.org
What can I do to help you guys get it going? Mountain Caribou management is something that could impact your area and I have a copy of the draft plan for North Caribou Peace if anyone wants it. It is really important that you get a club started again to show that there is organized recreational snowmobile users in the area. Be part of the process. If you can get a group together I will do what I can to help you get the society going again. We have a Board member in Dawson Creek that could help you as well. My understanding is that this club may have a groomer somewhere as well.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may know someone in Tumbler that would relly be good at getting this club started again. Do you have an email address for me and I will definatly work on this. I am from Prince George but we have family in Tumbler Ridge and do a lot of riding there.It would be a real shame to lose this area.

Thanks in adavance
Robbin

Boos

Reaction score
I would definately be interested in supporting this club, It is an amazing area and we might lose it if we don't have a solid group of people supporting it.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the information in regards to our decling caribou herds. A lot more to it thrn I pictured. Would love to see actual topography maps of riding areas, and herd migration/wintering patterns. Kinda overlap them and see what's actually getting ridden on, etc.. Sre how they correspond.
Ill try to get some info on here so everyone else can see and read it.
It is pretty obvious ythat we have to do something abouy it, and soon. If anyone wants the info let me know and I can forward it on.

Donegal-BCSF

Reaction score
Website
www.bcsf.org
Here is the email information I received from the Ministry regarding the Draft North Peace Caribou Plan

Me (Donegal) - I am getting a lot of calls from members regarding whether this proposed closure for the North Peace will include snowmobiles? I have read the plan and snowmobiles are not specifically mentioned. I have heard a lot of conflicting stories from people and was hoping you could clarify this for me.
Response from the Ministry - The PNCP does not call for any new access closures, I think people may be misconstruing the commitment to protect 90% of the high elevation winter habitat from development to imply the areas will be closed to recreational access.
Me (Donegal) - So you are not considering the closure of any areas to snowmobiling?
Response from the Ministry - There are no new closures for snowmobiling being proposed. That could happen in the future if new information indicates it is necessary but if so we would need to consult with those affected.

So as you can see there is no new closures in the draft plan but they will monitoring it. If they feel recreational users such as snowmobilers are having an impact they will consider a closure after a consultation. If the Clubs in this Region are not strong and showing solid membership numbers it will make it much harder for the consultation. In the case of Tumbler Ridge at this time there is no one to consult with.

YamaDooPolCat

Reaction score
Here is the email information I received from the Ministry regarding the Draft North Peace Caribou Plan

So as you can see there is no new closures in the draft plan but they will monitoring it. If they feel recreational users such as snowmobilers are having an impact they will consider a closure after a consultation. If the Clubs in this Region are not strong and showing solid membership numbers it will make it much harder for the consultation. In the case of Tumbler Ridge at this time there is no one to consult with.

Watch your backs guys. From our experience in Prince George, the MoE is all nice until they drop the hammer on you.

Here's how it went down here.

You will be invited in to review on a map what areas you currently ride in the mountains.
Next meeting you will be invited to, is to show you what the MoE propose to close (just about everything).
You have a chance to object, and that is what's called "input and user group consultation".
Then they will announce the closures, just like they showed at the last meeting, with no changes or consideration for anything you said.

So today, around Prince George, the only stable caribou populations are the ones closest to snowmobile areas. It's the only place the wolves, bears and cats don't hunt them down. We even have some caribou sneak into our riding area in the Torpy to escape the wolves on the McGregor River. The caribou populations in areas like government parks, where snowmobiles have never been allowed, are in rapid decline. The "caribou management" in the Prince George area boiled down to a opportunity to wreck havoc on their old enemy - the snowmobile community, and the caribou are paying the price now.

It doesn't get any better. The MoE even put out information for snowmobilers on what to do if you happen across a bunch of caribou. The advice is bad, and given that these people are intellegent, is surely ment to encourage harm. The MoE would like you to shut off your sled and wait for the caribou to move off, when you bump into a herd of caribou. We have told the MoE that this is the wrong thing to do, and since the MoE has no expert snowmobilers in their group of friends, they should listen to us, but the MoE have decided we have nothing to say or offer them.

However, do not follow the MoE advice, it is wrong and deliberately so, to harm our recreation access. Do not shut off your snowmobile when you come across some caribou, just turn away and keep on going until you are out of site or at least a 500 meters away. Do not stand up, or shut your sled off, or wave your arms around, take a picture if you want, and then leave. There is no reason for the caribou to expend any energy to move away from you, and they won't if they don't recognize you as a human, like backpacker or hunter or someone from the MoE.

Use your heads people, and watch your backs, no one in the enviromental movement is your friend if you snowmobile. You are a target.

jtilley

Reaction score
There is another meeting for Feb 7 2013 in Tumbler. This is a great time for us Alberta boys to show some support at this one.

SnoRiders

Reaction score
Website
www.snoriderswest.com
Hey guys. One of our writers is writing about Tumbler Ridge in our next magazine. We can really help the club keep the TR riding areas open by promoting it in an article. Who should my colleague speak to??

Top Bottom