Truing a Crank

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have my crank out and i am attempting to true the crank. But i am wits end, i have put 7 hours into it and i cannot get a reading. It goes from -0.002" to 0.004 then down to 0.001 and back up to 0.007" no matter how i try to do it. I'm about ready to part the sled out.:realmad:

vans

Reaction score
Had my crank aligned a couple days ago a cycle works in Edmonton talk to Dennis in service he know a lot of info on everything had my crank done in a hour. Never done it myself as I don't have the tools or knowledge but I have delt with Dennis on my toys and even though it's not the brand they deal with he can do the job. By the way it was a crossfire 700 crank

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I am going to be doing two cranks, the crank i am working on is from an 800 cat vertical engine. I do not want to send the crank out. Waste 5 days in transit there, and 5 days back, how long its at the shop. And then pay whatever it cost to get it trued. I would rather learn how to do the crank myself. I have a LOT of interest of doing things myself. Cranks are still new to me.

I took two videos of what the results on the dial indicator on the race of the crank for the PTO bearing.

Last edited:

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So I cleaned up my ball on my dial indicator, and polished the PTO end, set up my dial indicator differently, inproved the set up for resting the crank in the blocks. Seemed that there was slight rust spots on the shaft causing the bal to get dirty, and to sway the results.

I have now gotten the PTO end on the very tip down to 0.0015" movement in a full rotation. But on the bearing race closer to the web it is out 0.0035"-0.004" movement. How could one fix that?.

Top Bottom