Truck Tires

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ran the 285/70/17 Toyo open country A/T's on my 07 chevy half ton and they were wore out in 50,000 km. Great traction in all conditions. I work up near fort mac in the winter and they were pretty good on the ice roads. I just bought a set of goodyear Dura trac's and i will post after i get some miles on them. They are a brand new tire this year so we'll see how they last. Is it just me or did the price of tires go up from last year. I could'nt find a good set of tires for under $1000 8-10 ply.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had good luck with the factory goodyear wranglers got 96,000 km`s on them before I changed them out. Goodyear is having there 3 for 4 deal on right now. Silent armour now replaces the ones I had.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone running ProComp Xtreme AT's?
I am considering them for a 1/2 ton GMC, 35"x12.5R17
Any reviews?

Thanks

I ran them for a year and liked them. They where a bit noisy on the highway but not to bad. When they where done I went and had a set of DEAN Radial SXT Mud Terran put on. So far the best tire I have ever owned. Ran them all winter and they look like they have not whore out at all. I am running them on my 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 Cummins.:ramsfan_small:

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What size are you running on your Mega-cab and where did you get them from...thanks

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
I ran them for a year and liked them. They where a bit noisy on the highway but not to bad. When they where done I went and had a set of DEAN Radial SXT Mud Terran put on. So far the best tire I have ever owned. Ran them all winter and they look like they have not whore out at all. I am running them on my 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 Cummins.:ramsfan_small:

We put decks on a lot of survey trucks and the biggest company uses Dean M/T on all their trucks now and they've tried every brand. They seem pretty happy with them.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dicky cepek fun country's are a great tire got 60,000 kms on my last set with only one rotation,plan on rotating them a few more times with this set.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 37x13.5R17 Toyo M/T's. Have 70,000 km's on this set with about 20-25% still left. The secret to the M/T's is to run lower than normal pressures. I run 37psi all the way around. The truck sees a lot of heavy hauling (10-14K lbs), lots of gravel, sand, rock, snow and air:d By far the best tires I've ever had...

gr8tdragon

Reaction score
I have Cooper Discover st's on my F350 crew dual. Ask the RCmp up here in Fort Mac how good they are in snow and ice. Guy stole my truck with both Quads on back while it was snowing. Foot of snow on the highway. Cops had to wait till he ran out of fuel to catch him. Thank god I left truck with only 1/2 tank. Guy couldn't make it to Lac la biche. Tires are awsome for the whole year, from mudding to the snow. Last pretty well as have 30,000 k's and still have at least 30,000 left. They hum a little though. Guess thats the price you pay for traction.:):)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got another set of 10 ply BFG A/T as the last set made 85K with no trouble or flats.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just wondering if any one has tryed the new good year wrangler mtrs? i was thinking of a set..:d:beer:

Had a buddy ran them on his Ford 3/4 ton. said best ever mud tire he ran but loud and low km b4 worn out

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent armour on my 93 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 Cummins. Worst tires I've ever seen for wear, I think a set of super swampers would get more mileage. I think I got around 35,000kms out of mine. Not too mention the sidewalls bulged/rippled on all four tires:rant::nono:. Last set of Goodyears that I'll ever put on my rig.

My current truck has BFG ATs in 37x12.50R17. Not a bad tire for wear, around 30k Kms on them and still about 60% left. Good road manners and fairly quiet. They are terrible on snow and ice though, the treads fill with snow and they turn into a slick. I'm going with Toyo M/Ts for my next set, thats for sure.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:):)I have the Goodyear Wrangler silent armour 265-70-17 on 9in wide Eagle Alloys on my 05 GMC 4X4 looks good I have 60000km still looks new I would buy them again no questions

Black08Brute

Reaction score
The best tire I have ever run was a tire called trail cutter. They were cheaper than the BFG's and lasted 80 000 km. They are avalible in AT and mud terain. Just my 2 cents

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to give some simple feed back here on what I do. I don't look for brands, or models, I look for what I want:

First of all, I have one set for summer, and another set of rims and tires for the winter. I do not believe one tire can do it all, and trying to get a tire to do it all is a big part of the problem. I do not focus on brands, I search for the tire with the tread stile I want, compound I want, siping I want etc. You can find this in the off brand or many brands. Some "well known" brands won't have the tire I want. Also, tires are made and suited for fairly limited sets of situations, so what might be a great tire for bob, really sucks for bill.

For sledding, having to drive both on and off road, an into packed and sometimes un-plowed staging ares, I got fairly picky on my winter tire:

For traction in winter, I go for a fairly aggressive mud and snow tread that does not make too much noise, ie with in my tolerance. Meaning I don't really want to hear it much at all, but some noise comes from a more aggressive tread - I try to keep it low. I try to find the ones with the treads at an angle that overlap, so they make the minimum amount of noise.

I **do not** use LT "winter" tires as I find they are not well suited for what we as sledders want. A "winter" tire has a very soft compound and the lug blocks are cut up (sciped) many times into quite small sections. They also don't have deep lug traction, the focus is as many scipes as they can get on a tire. The problem is, just a little bit of gravel will tear these to shreds and no deep snow traction I feel for what we are faced with. I feel this excessive sciping is great in the city only. In addition, they do not hold weight well, the sciping causes the blocks to bend/crush and the tire drives bad and wears bad. A true winter tire is best only for a 1/2 ton grocery getter.

So I look for a mud and snow (or AT tire) with some siping, (or usually as much as I can find on a mud and snow as it turns out), it seams to still give good ice traction, the deeper lugs on the mud and snow (winter tires tend not to have deep lugs) help dig when you get in to the packed thick snow on back roads and snow packed parking lots that we always seam to break through. Another thing I look for is LOWER tread warranty. YES, LOWER. It's simple math, high tread warranty tires have *hard* tread, lower tread warranty have softer treads. Softer treads help with winter traction. I will never look for a 90,000-120,000KM tire, 60,000-70,000km is what I want.

The only thing, if you are running an oil field/forestry services truck with soft treads, they will get chewed up by all the gravel travel. Hard to win here. A hard AT tire is needed to stand up to to rock abuse, and you loose ice/hard snow traction almost totally. Or if you want ice traction, be prepared to buy tires a fair bit before the warranty is done (ie. =often). Guys working in this already know this.

I take my winter tires off in the summer, because with the softer tread they will wear very fast, plus they are a bit nosier, and the summer tires drive a bit better. If you store the winter tires INSIDE in the summer (NO UV, no high heat (ie. not under a tarp in the sun, in a garage where it is cooler) the winter tires will last you for many years, like 5-10 (as long as you don't kill them with a lot of gravel). Mine still look like new after 3 20,000km seasons.

I then use some type of tuffer, well handling, high wear, all season summer tire for the summer that of course is totally useless in more than 1/2" of snow. Much like an OEM tire that would come new with the new truck. They ride good, are quiet, wear good, and you get stuck with them. But I do like them for a summer only tire.
:)

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just put on some m16 37x13.5 on 22" rims , just right amount of road noise , will see how smooth they run , hate vibration , ran terra grapplers for the winter , had them studded , worked well for size of tire, smooth as heck

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the new dura track. I will be interested to see how they perform and how long they last.

Attachments

• DuraTrac.jpg
    DuraTrac.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 90
Top Bottom