truck question?

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just wondering how the chevy all wheel drive trucks are on fuel? the one im looking at has a 6L in it (03 chevy ss)are there any other problems with them?

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just wondering how the chevy all wheel drive trucks are on fuel? the one im looking at has a 6L in it (03 chevy ss)are there any other problems with them?
the all wheel drive is a 40/60 split
the t cases are bulit proof but the 6.0 is a little heavy on fuel as for fuel milage will use a little more than the reg 4x4 compared to the all wheel drive:beer:

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cuz my 03 gmc now doesnt get much better then 16 mpg highway,would this all wheel drive be the same as my auto 4 wheel drive in my truck now. what i was wondering is if there are any trani troubles with this?

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cousin has a 07 GMC denail All wheel drive with the 6.0 L, he get around 15 mpg. The all wheel drive works really well

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All wheel drive is a bit harder on fuel than a 4wd. I have seen axle problems on the all wd and none on the 4wd don't know why. The 6l not known for fuel econ. 12-16 after mod 03 GM lowered the quality on the intake valves, Also a GM dumps 30% fuel every 90sec (to cool the cats) this makes it harder on fuel and your exhaust pipe black or darker. This can be fixed , But a 03 SS rock I raced my 05 GM 5.3l with one he stomped me.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All wheel drive is a bit harder on fuel than a 4wd. I have seen axle problems on the all wd and none on the 4wd don't know why. The 6l not known for fuel econ. 12-16 after mod 03 GM lowered the quality on the intake valves, Also a GM dumps 30% fuel every 90sec (to cool the cats) this makes it harder on fuel and your exhaust pipe black or darker. This can be fixed , But a 03 SS rock I raced my 05 GM 5.3l with one he stomped me.

How can this be fixed, I am running a 2007 2500hd 6.0 L classic body, I have noticed this last couple of months that tip of my exhaust is getting black.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doing this would cause the cats to plug up and cause excessive heat,it will richen the mixture to around 11-11.5:1 to cool the cats but this is burnt fuel not unburnt/raw maybe that is what your getting at but they all do this. and in the last 10 yr.s have yet to see and awd with an axle problem,they are the same axles except for rf axle tube housing which has no place for an actuator

Last edited:

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THE only problem drive line wise Ive seen with those truck is the transfer cases... im not a gm mechanic or anything but i have helped replace 3 in my buddies trucks.. three different trucks lol. yea they definitely do not just dump raw fuel down the exhaust, that would never pass emissions i don't think.
I could be wrong .. i have been before :beer: cheers! :beer:

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THE only problem drive line wise Ive seen with those truck is the transfer cases... im not a gm mechanic or anything but i have helped replace 3 in my buddies trucks.. three different trucks lol. yea they definitely do not just dump raw fuel down the exhaust, that would never pass emissions i don't think.
I could be wrong .. i have been before :beer: cheers! :beer:
different t case in the awd than the 4wd and have never seen one break yet in the awd

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can solve your problems rmksledder...but a ford! i got 35" tires and im still gettin 20mpg...and its quick:)

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remove your cats, Then get the code for the cat removed. At the same time get the fuelling problem removed also. (no footprint dealer can't pick it up) Talk to Cam @ Lightspeed in Red Deer he can fix it for you he did mine.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fair enough ive just seen a few 4wd ones break and i was just sharing that.. ;)

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just dont want to be driving a little truck anymore,my 5.3l is not getting any better than 17 mpg so im not to worried about fuel milege.

Top Bottom