Truck camper tiedowns

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi well I'm wondering if taking turn buckles an chains to tie down my truck camper in my box hooks would be sufficient enough I know my sled deck works great on it but just wondering if the camper would to or any-other ways would be appreciated, or belly bars just trying to get away from them

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what i heard you can't use the box anymore to fasten your camper to your truck. we did back in the 70's and used turn buckles and chains and they always came loose. check with transport canada or a rv dealer to see what the laws are i have not seen a camper without belly bars on the trucks. for safety reasons i would go with the belly bars

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on your truck there are bracket kits the bolt to your frame with everything you need to chain down a truck camper most rv dealers should have them or just google them online

K1500

Reaction score
I have done it before. I used the bumper hooks for the rear and a spring loaded turnbuckle to a short piece of chain to the cargo hooks in the bed. It was a used camper and the bracket kit was for a different brand truck. It held tight with no shifting over 5,000 miles, including several miles of low speed two track covers in softball to soccer ball sized rocks.

hedge

Reaction score
The most common are the torklift tiedowns, they are receivers that mount to the frame. The other common style is the happijac that bolts to the bed in the front and uses bumper buttons in the rear. Ideally our turnbuckles should be spring-loaded. I have torklift tiedowns and fastgun turnbuckles, they are awesome but not cheap.

also, I think DSP may produce tiedowns, you may want to check there too.

As above, most people say the boxes are made out of too think of sheet metal to use stake pocket tiedowns.

most campers have the mounts outside the box anyway so not sure how you would be able to use the factory points inside the box.

Top Bottom