Troubles with 05 Superduty?

ryan488

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was anything to watch out for on a 05 SD?
I am looking at a lariet crewcab with 186000 km. Head gasket was done at 100k, and EGR was just done. Any help is appreciated.

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check it out for oil leaks. Mine had a leak from the bed plate gasket, twice. They have to remove the cab and pull the engine to fix it. Mine was on warranty still, but the bill would have been around $5000. Other than that mine was mostly trouble free, sold it at 93000km though.

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we runn a bunch of 550 fords with the 6.0l in emm and dont really have any problems at all are oulder truck though has 240 000km on her and it runns really good i would check front oil seals head gaskets, also look at the hoses that go to the turbo to intercooler I belive its called see if there is oil on them.... Would also recomend doing a cold start on it listen to how it idle's if it sounds like any injectors are going on it.... If its lifter and has bigg tires on it, it might not be worht gettin, i would really be lookin under the truck to see if its been abused off road... hope so of this help some anyways

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was anything to watch out for on a 05 SD?
I am looking at a lariet crewcab with 186000 km. Head gasket was done at 100k, and EGR was just done. Any help is appreciated.

Head gasket, Y-pipe, EGR cooler etc... My last 6.0 L spent more time in the shop than it did on the road...it was the last Ford I ever bought. Some of the 6.0 L go forever and some $hit the bed on a regular basis. It's hit and miss:d

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the 6.0 L go forever and some $hit the bed on a regular basis. It's hit and miss:d

There's a lot of people that have had major engine work done more than once between oil changes.

IMO if you get a 6.0 and have problems you should have seen it coming. Do some reading and make an informed decision.

wildwest

Reaction score
ask if when heads were done if aftermarket head bolts used ,very important
one of my 6 litre been done 2 that was after new motor. good chance it needs front end with 180 on it.right now i have 07 f350 getting new tranny pick it up tomorrow.one of my workers took another of my 6 litre in today and it needs tranny also,i just put one in that truck in april.Had another employee that f350 v-10 in last week that needed feul pump only 55000 on it.One of my foreman took the are f150 last monday for feul pump also!

love the fords hate paying for them

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I had an '04 f350 pstd..... Stay away from higher mile powerstrokes. Warranty is up to 160,000km and thats it!!!.......... Head gaskets, egr cooler, turbo problems, injectors &or injector o-rings, high pressure oil pumps, engine oil pumps, sensors of all types...... And the list goes on. Has made many a ford service departments and their technicians very wealthy. My shop has worked on quite a few, as well. If it must be a ford, buy a lower mile pstd with lots of warranty.....chipping them gives unreal performance, but takes awary the reliability.

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your gonna buy a powerstroke get the 7.3L those motors are bullet proof

ryan488

Reaction score
I think I will just spend another $5000 and get a Duramax. Thanks for all the help

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that other 5g will just get you more problems durramax issues injectors chev warrentys them to 300k, sensors or all kinds as well, very weak front ends if you do any off roading you will break/ wear them out very quickly, trannys the allison is only the body and the valve train all other trans parts are chev, but with an allison price,
stay away from the 02-07 dirtymaxes with over 150000 on them they are prone to blow every engine/trans seal at once and chev dosent know why, some are good and never have a problem some blow.

as for trucks i do agree stay away from
06 or older 6L psd
older high mielage duramaxes
and the 4 spd tranny in a dodge cummins suck and the front ends

my choice 08 f350 psd
06 or newer chev dsl with low km's
or save big and get a dodge but be prepared for the tranny replace and front ends ever 100000kms

Top Bottom