Trouble with pull cord...

Nitronix

Reaction score
Hey guys so i just started my sled up, it started pretty fine even though its about -29 now. i let it run and idle for a bit then started to hear every few revs sounded like a grinding chain and a clanging noise. i shut it off hoping not to ruin anything. i went to start it up again to see if it would come back and i go to pull my cord and it just freely extends with ease. its not grabbing anything and wont turn over. can someone tell me where i should start? should i pull off the Pull cord recoil case or would the cold have anything to do with it not grabbing.
Its a 2006 skidoo summit x highmark 1000
any help would be great thanks!

TheronDanger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kamloops/Chetwynd, British Columbia, Canada
Hey guys so i just started my sled up, it started pretty fine even though its about -29 now. i let it run and idle for a bit then started to hear every few revs sounded like a grinding chain and a clanging noise. i shut it off hoping not to ruin anything. i went to start it up again to see if it would come back and i go to pull my cord and it just freely extends with ease. its not grabbing anything and wont turn over. can someone tell me where i should start? should i pull off the Pull cord recoil case or would the cold have anything to do with it not grabbing.
Its a 2006 skidoo summit x highmark 1000
any help would be great thanks!

This just happened to me last week with my 2005 highmark 1000, i hit a bump and herd a weird noise, then when i went to strat it again the courd just pulled out. It ended out that my Puller Rewind was shot, take it appart and check it out. pull off our exhaust can and then its easy to pop off. I will try and find a schematic for you and identify the part that was broken on mine.

TheronDanger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kamloops/Chetwynd, British Columbia, Canada
Xtreme Powersports' 2006 Ski Doo Summit Highmk SDI 162'' Parts List

Part 6 was broken on my Starter Rocoil so it didnt grab anymore. This Diagram lists the prices and most pieces arnt overly expensive, you can save a bunch of money if you can identify the part you need and do it yourself. I ended up just buying a whole new setup for about $225 since mine was quite warn out.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the 1000's the same as the 800's when it comes to the recoil internals...??? Sounds like the retaining washer came off... started grinding between mag and case.... then the rest of the internals fell off of the stub in the recoil housing... Not allowing the Pawl to engage.... Check out the Ski-Doo REV section I put a thread up and there are a few more ideas on there too...

Nitronix

Reaction score
thanks alot for the fast replies i guess i wont know untill i take it off. which wont be until this cold snap goes away so hopefully by the weekend.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Circle mistake check your stater, you mention that it grinded on mag. Mine did this once and metal washer got in my stater and houched it.

Top Bottom