Trials tire

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So coming back into dirt bikes after a ten year lay off, I see there is a new trend of putting a trials tire on the rear of trail bikes. Anyone here try it yet?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did more research on it today. Doesn't sound like it is for me.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a trials tire going on the back of my bike to start the season.

There are pros and cons to a trials tire. From what I have seen the pros outweigh the cons. They work well in slippery rooted up and rocky terrain. Sounds like most of Southern AB. I have another tire to try if the trials tire isn't working out.

Best thing is the ultra heavy duty tubes than I plan on running the trials tire at 8-10 psi max.

If you were going to run a MX style tire instead, I would suggest the Maxxis EN. I believe it is only available in 18" though.

sent from a top secret location

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too old a fat for one of those. I would love to test ride one though.

all my buddies that tried them all switched... hence my old post... im seriously considering it... they are all on the COast though and figured it takes 3 solid rides to like the switch... they are old somewhat fat and say the never had so much fun riding again... They don't ride trials much just use them for some of the goat trails they have down there. the traction is incredible but i gather they are on rocks, roots and lots of water. They claim the tires stick great but Im wondering if the 2 stroke engine that can't stall and all torque is the difference? I had a trials tire on old suzuki ts250 i had as a kid... on grass it plugged up scary quick kind like an all season truck tire in the mud... not sure if that helps as im sure the tires have changed in 20 years

Im with you though... i wanna try one for trail riding!
I sold my 450x last summer now my boy is 3 and by the time he's 5 he'll be on a bike so im looking for somthing slow to ride with him.. probably gonna buy him a oset 12v trials bike this month

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bike I bought has a crazy low first and second gear. This is why I was
Thinking of trying the tire but I think I will wait and ride it for awhile first then decide. I ride a lot of sand too. Heard that trials tires suck in the sand. I thought they might work well in the sand. I will put some miles on first so at least I have a baseline to go from.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Their biggest downside is in the mud. I run a michelin M12 and I am impressed with its grip on roots, logs, round rocks etc but on sharp rock or gravel it's soft compound wears pretty quickly. To me it's worth it for the extra traction though.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of the trials I have seen they actually faired well in mud. Depends on the mud though. Heavy clay mud and muskeg they will fill up quick.

The big 4 strokes are hard on any tire. They can rip lugs off anything. The 2 strokes lugged a gear tall will benefit from a trials tire in areas that require lots of traction.

sent from a top secret location

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This bike doesn't have a lot of power so I don't think that would be an issue

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They work great. I used the Dunlop for three years.

The only downside is some mud (and it's not that bad), grass, and downhill sections. Otherwise it's all better. I've also read they are actually quite good in sand too but haven't had the chance to test.

I'm riding a newer bike now with a knobby and I can instantly tell where it's worse. I'll eventually pick up another trials tire to put on. The other benefit is they last forever. I only replaced mine because the rubber degraded the point the tire was cracking. It had two years of use on it. Never had to take it off or replace a tube. I kept using the same tube on the next tire I bought (and sold with the bike after three rides). Sucks because I should have kept the tire.

They work better for those with controlled throttle hands, and those who "flow" rather then dart all over the place spinning wheels, making noise, and going nowhere.

Canuck_fe

Reaction score
I was wondering about this too.

i moved to Edmonton from Victoria this winter and I think I'll drag my bike (berg fe450) out here for the summer.

back there it is all rooty single track and the trials tire at 4-5psi is amazing ( running tubliss as well) but would have thought it wouldn't do as well out here since the flatter more open terrain allows more speed and throttle.
most guys there run a S12 rear and M12 front if your going knobbies.

only thing I don't like about the trials is no side lugs. Have to really watch you don't get to hot into a hard packed corner and try to power slide it...

Top Bottom