Travel Advice to Mexico - first timer

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey all

so were off to Mexico next week for 8 days
kind of a vacation/work thing
been doing some reading and such on the Myan (which is where we r going)
never been before
were flying in direct and staying at a 5 star all inclusive resort

wifey is a bit paranoid with the hype the media is putting on the recent murders on those 2 BC natives
how safe is it to travel to Mexico these days??

anyone who has been recently have any travel tips / ideas for us???

thanks for your help everyone :d

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mexico is very safe, mexico is very big also. lots of drug cartel around the boarder towns into usa. the people are very friendly, and have never had an issue out of the many many times that ive gone. Both my dad and my inlaws live in mexico for 5-6 months a year, and them too have never had any issues. only Advice i can give is treat them equal, dont look or speak down to them, dont harass their women, dont be flashy with money and jewelry and dont try to buy drugs.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mexico is very safe, mexico is very big also. lots of drug cartel around the boarder towns into usa. the people are very friendly, and have never had an issue out of the many many times that ive gone. Both my dad and my inlaws live in mexico for 5-6 months a year, and them too have never had any issues. only Advice i can give is treat them equal, dont look or speak down to them, dont harass their women, dont be flashy with money and jewelry and dont try to buy drugs.

In other words.........stay the fawk on your resort. Lol.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

im a huge golfer
want to check out some of the nice courses down there
was thinking of brining my own sticks......but have a lot of time and money invested in them (proper fitting, expensive JDM pieces, custom this and that)
would it be advisable to bring them or rent?
I cant stand using rentals, as im anal about golf!!! LOL!

but if it will traget me as being "flashy" or "rich" ill leave em at home in the comfort of my office ;)

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No no thats fine. most places are great. think about the tens of thousands that travel to mexico every winter, and a couple die here and there, its like a plane crash, sounds bad when it happens, but really it rarely happens. if people get murdered down there, they were most likely involved in something they shouldnt have been. mexico is amazing, and places like the mayan and stuff is soooo safe. Im talking about wearing big diamonds, flashing wads of cash and so on.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In other words.........stay the fawk on your resort. Lol.

Its been 5 years since ive stayed in a resort. I go to my dads, which is on the ocean, but in the middle of a town full of locals, dirt roads, lots of authentic cuisine, stores, bars, such a good time! like i said, treat them like equals. we have families invite us into their homes and cook us meals.

Chunk

Reaction score
The Yucatan peninsula (where you are going) is as safe as Canada. We own a condo in a small town south of playa del Carmen. We like to travel in the non touristy areas and have never felt unsafe. We drive all over and have never had an issue. If you go into Cancun or any of the big cities, it's the same as the big cities here. There are places you don't want to be after dark. The town we are in has 20,000 people and services about 80,000. The locals still still talk about the murder that happened 4 yrs ago. So not very common.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is a few pics at my dads place, we threw one of the girls a baby shower and had a big party, probly 50-60 people came, we hired a band and had a great time.

this is my 2 year old running away naked with his suite case
78cc2abf.jpg

party
bfc847f3.jpg

local family
bac6f291.jpg

wife and I with patty and her son
5bc5d5de.jpg

lulos with my son
52f1185e.jpg

view from the house
d1b59b34.jpg

patty opening presents
6335bb51.jpg

50 bucks in booze!!
cfc78860.jpg

Sweet_1

Reaction score
im a huge golfer
want to check out some of the nice courses down there
was thinking of brining my own sticks......but have a lot of time and money invested in them (proper fitting, expensive JDM pieces, custom this and that)
would it be advisable to bring them or rent?
I cant stand using rentals, as im anal about golf!!! LOL
but if it will traget me as being "flashy" or "rich" ill leave em at home in the comfort of my office ;)

yah man I dont think if i loved my clubs that much I for sure wouldnt bring em, you run the risk of the airline effing them up ie crushing them or losing them. And they could also grow legs and walk away if someone takes a shine to your clubs and decides they want them, as a fellow golfer it sounds like you have an awesome set of weapons there :) I personally would leave them at home.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MATTIAC, thanks for the pics bro
that pad loooks SICK, to say the least!

i have never travelled anywhere warm
never really left the country except Vegas for the first time this past fall

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MATTIAC, thanks for the pics bro
that pad loooks SICK, to say the least!

i have never travelled anywhere warm
never really left the country except Vegas for the first time this past fall

no worries!! Im gone march 4-25 this yr, 3 weeks again, since we have to book around my kids break from school. I have a few friends with their kids who are coming too this yr. i would live in mexico if I could! and head to canada to sled!!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That there is good advise. If you want trouble, it won't be hard to find, but that goes for any place you visit...just head into Edmonton any day of the week. We travel a fair bit, and have always checked out the local scene...we have met some awesome people doing so. We're heading to Puerto Vallarta in a couple weeks, and for sure we'll head into town...there's far too much to see and do to just sit in the resort. Do yourself a huge favor, and leave your clubs at home.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That there is good advise. If you want trouble, it won't be hard to find, but that goes for any place you visit...just head into Edmonton any day of the week. We travel a fair bit, and have always checked out the local scene...we have met some awesome people doing so. We're heading to Puerto Vallarta in a couple weeks, and for sure we'll head into town...there's far too much to see and do to just sit in the resort. Do yourself a huge favor, and leave your clubs at home.

Where in PV you staying? Thats where we fly into then drive an hour up the coast to the house, little place called La Penita, bordering Rincon de Guyabitos. if you venture up the coast from PV past Bucerias to Sayulita(little hippy surf town about 20-25 mins away) you can get surf lessons, or check out Rollies for breakfast! always a hit!!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where in PV you staying? Thats where we fly into then drive an hour up the coast to the house, little place called La Penita, bordering Rincon de Guyabitos. if you venture up the coast from PV past Bucerias to Sayulita(little hippy surf town about 20-25 mins away) you can get surf lessons, or check out Rollies for breakfast! always a hit!!

We're staying at the Crown Paradise. Fairly busy trip, as there's a resort for sale about 30 minutes south of town that we're going to go look at...it would take me zero persuasion to sell out up here and move to Mexico.

Chunk

Reaction score
Shots aren't needed in Mexico. And you can drink the water in most towns and resorts.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back,and i would agree with all of the comments..........Quite safe with wonderful people who work very hard !! Most problems are caused by tourists doing something stupid IE: drugs ,booze,fighting..etc...
If you are pothead and have to buy drugs down there,you could be their "guest" for quite some time....If you respect their laws ,99.9% of the time you will be fine,just like in Canada.
A tip,go over to the Island of Cozumel and tour the Island,one of the most beautiful places on the planet.............We are heading there soon,and love it !!!!:beer::beer:

Last edited:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shots aren't needed in Mexico. And you can drink the water in most towns and resorts.
Yea it's 99.9% bottled water forDrinking anywhere you go. You'll also notice most I've cubes are bagged I've with holes in them. Mexico thrives on tourist money and most do their do diligence and treat water or use bottle water fr cooking serving and washing fruits and veggies. So they don't want that stereotype anymore

armymags1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey we are heading there on the 22nd to the 30th as well will be staying at dreams resort at riviera Nayarit can't wait

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom