SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Transplanted Purcell Mountain caribou fail to survive

15 of 19 transplanted animals died before winter

CBC News Posted: Oct 11, 2012 11:34 AM PT Last Updated: Oct 11, 2012 6:04 PM PT
li-bc-121011-caribou-transfer-truck.jpg
A caribou exits a truck into the temporary holding pen prior to its release into the Purcell Mountains in March 2012. (Government of British Columbia)

An expensive plan to relocate mountain caribou from northern B.C. to the Kootenays, has failed after 15 of the 19 transplanted caribou died from accidents, predators or undetermined causes.
In March, a team from B.C.’s Ministry of Forests and Lands tried to transfer 20 caribou from a healthy herd in the Dease Lake area, about 250 kilometres south of the B.C.-Yukon border, to the endangered southern Purcell herd in the East Kootenay.
The move cost about $10,000 per animal.
One of the caribou died during the move, likely from stress, and weather prevented the team from dropping the other 19 animals in a single area. Ten were put near the existing herd, but the other nine had to be dropped in a different valley.
Failed to unite with herd

The hope was that the 19 survivors would meet up and join the resident Purcell herd, which was down to 14 animals. But instead, just the opposite happened. The northern caribou fanned out, apparently looking for something.
"Several went into Montana, one recently went into Washington," said project leader, Steve Gordon.
"Whenever you are embarking on a transplant like this, it's a risky endeavour. It's kind of a critical intervention to try and restore this herd. We didn't anticipate this level of mortality though," said Gordon.
While government biologists might not have anticipated this outcome, opponents did. Moving northern caribou south has been tried before, according to Carmen Purdy, president of the Kootenay Wildlife Heritage Fund.
"They don't make it. The last three transplants haven't worked. Why do we keep trying the same thing over and over again?"
Government biologists were going to transplant another group of caribou next spring, but with so many dead caribou, that plan is now in jeopardy.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's an old report. It's now down to 2 survivors....or none, depending on who you ask. They kicked them out of the chopper in the mountains. This is where they were a week later. Cougar food in the Kootenay River bottom.

IMG_0449r.jpg

• Staff

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, i think that's where they all end up... They don't stay in elevation, like the "experts" thought.... They propogate to where the food supply is ....... Jus' sayin'

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, i think that's where they all end up... They don't stay in elevation, like the "experts" thought.... They propogate to where the food supply is ....... Jus' sayin'

Yup, that's exactly what they did. They went to where the food they were accustomed to eating was. It just happened to be where the predators were too. A couple of them even went down into Montana.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there was probably a snowmobile track with in 1000km so sledders will get the blame

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this cost us $200,000. What a fricken joke. I love the Canadian government

BC Government actually. And it's the best money they've ever spent. It proved once again that transplanting Mountain Caribou is not feasible. If it hadn't been such a dismal failure they would have been moving another 20 this year.

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm missing something but why bother transplanting them in the first place? Because the other heard is down 14? Isn't that like saying a family in Europe lost a child. You have 2 kids so I'll give them one of yours?... Like I said I'm not sure if I'm missing something but it doesn't quite make sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are trying a maternity pen just North of here, they have a 5H area fenced and covered to keep predators out and they are putting them in there till the young are big enough to try and survive. Moved them yesterday.

Here's a pic from today. For those that haven't heard, we placed 12 caribou into our maternity pen. 10 adult females (9/10 pregnant) and 2 yearling calves (still at moms heel).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 269

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm missing something but why bother transplanting them in the first place? Because the other heard is down 14? Isn't that like saying a family in Europe lost a child. You have 2 kids so I'll give them one of yours?... Like I said I'm not sure if I'm missing something but it doesn't quite make sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using
The reason for the attempted transplant is because they have been classified as endangered and this is a feeble attempt at increasing herd numbers.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two things to say on this......

1. Don't Mess with natural selection and progression.

2. Mother Nature will always win no matter how hard us humans try and intervene and "fix" her. Always.

Somethings are just meant to evolve on their own.

Top Bottom