Trails west RPM trailers?

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello
Does anyone have experience with these trailers? Can’t find much on them? Found a used 24ft Vnose deck over for sale. Curious if they are any good. I have never owned a deck over before? Should I avoid them? Ground clearance looks like it would be a lot better

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a RPM28 for many years. Overall really happy with it except for a few things that they have fixed on the newer ones. No issues with warranty either. In fact they did some warranty work that I never thought they would cover. I wash mine after every trip and store it indoors. No issues with rust on mine except the fuel door frames which need to be repainted. Overall happy with it. I also have a deck but sometimes it’s nice to have spare parts and heat in the parking lot.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a RPM28 for many years. Overall really happy with it except for a few things that they have fixed on the newer ones. No issues with warranty either. In fact they did some warranty work that I never thought they would cover. I wash mine after every trip and store it indoors. No issues with rust on mine except the fuel door frames which need to be repainted. Overall happy with it. I also have a deck but sometimes it’s nice to have spare parts and heat in the parking lot.

Thanks for input . How does it pull? Kinda worried about a 28ft deck over? And this one is a 2008 so older..

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulls perfectly. I’m pulling with a 2500 HD.

• Thanks
Reactions: DUS

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulls perfectly. I’m pulling with a 2500 HD.

I’ll be pulling with a 3500 single wheel. I have a pulled a 16ft plus 4 foot V snow king deck over and I found it pulled terrible. It was always jerking and bucking the truck now matter how we loaded it. Also pulled a friends 30ft car hauler and didn’t even notice it back there ....

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody else have Input? What size of axles are usually on a 28ft enclosed it only has 2 3500 lb axles seems light?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody else have Input? What size of axles are usually on a 28ft enclosed it only has 2 3500 lb axles seems light?

Heavy axles and your stuff rides like in a one tone.
Bounces chit apart.
I like to load to 80-90% axle capacity.
Smother ride for what u haulin.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can have the heavy axles but make sure you use the correct spring capacity for your load carrying requirements.
Like mentioned ? If sprung to heavy the ride will be terrible .

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can be ordered with 5200 axles

Yes I seen they can build them with 5200lb axles but the used one has 3500 axles. Regarding your other post about working on them a lot. Is there a lot of issues with them?

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't own a Trails West trailer, but looked at them pretty closely in 2014 prior to purchasing my current trailer. Although they are pretty, I found there was a lot of flex, evident by the daylight I could see around the doors from inside (and I looked at seven of them on the lot). My current 4 place has 5200# torsion axles and rides great, has all the bells and whistles I wanted, but a smaller truck won't pull it (not well, anyway). I would recommend going with a lower trailer as they tow much nicer then the over deck style, and the heavier axles are far more stout, important if you're keeping it awhile and want to keep it out of the alignment shop. I personally have had great experiences with the MTI, Mirage (TNT Teton Sport), and US Cargo trailers, the Mirage is my current unit. Have heard a lot of good things about Legend trailers as well.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't own a Trails West trailer, but looked at them pretty closely in 2014 prior to purchasing my current trailer. Although they are pretty, I found there was a lot of flex, evident by the daylight I could see around the doors from inside (and I looked at seven of them on the lot). My current 4 place has 5200# torsion axles and rides great, has all the bells and whistles I wanted, but a smaller truck won't pull it (not well, anyway). I would recommend going with a lower trailer as they tow much nicer then the over deck style, and the heavier axles are far more stout, important if you're keeping it awhile and want to keep it out of the alignment shop. I personally have had great experiences with the MTI, Mirage (TNT Teton Sport), and US Cargo trailers, the Mirage is my current unit. Have heard a lot of good things about Legend trailers as well.

Thanks for the input. I agree with always going with bigger axles then a guy needs.... Have you ever ran into clearance issues with a lower trailer? I would be dragging it down some bad roads and random camping areas

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't yet. During that huge storm last year when the highways were closed to Revy, I did have to put chains on the truck to drag the trailer up Silent Pass to km 17. That being said, the torsion axles have a bit more clearance then solid axles, the trailer body has more clearance then the rear differential on my truck (2016 Ram 3500)...

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't yet. During that huge storm last year when the highways were closed to Revy, I did have to put chains on the truck to drag the trailer up Silent Pass to km 17. That being said, the torsion axles have a bit more clearance then solid axles, the trailer body has more clearance then the rear differential on my truck (2016 Ram 3500)...
Haha that was an epic storm.
Big rigs yardsale everywhere.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you are choosing a trailer and trying to decide on axle size take a min to add up all the weight you will be putting in it, you will be very surprised how much weight you will be caring ( tools ,beer oil and gas, more beer, furnace , propane, benches, rum,) It all ads up very quickly I have a MTI car hauler with 2 7000lb tor-flex axles and it rides good ( better than my 3500 dodge) have seen a lot of trailers with the inside of the tires wore off and a few broken axles

Top Bottom