Trails starting in cadomin

Tbaz

Reaction score
Just decided to rent a cabin in cadomin, any leads to some scenic / mountain stuff starting right in the town?

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Head west on the road through Mountain Park and over the Cardinal Divide. Once over the Divide, travel about 1/2 km to the Box Canyon trail head. There's a pullout on your left. On the way in to Box Canyon, watch for a small, wood sign hanging in a tree that says Crystal Falls. It's about a 50 ft. walk and worth seeing. Continue on to Box and you'll see some beautiful scenery, but please stay on the trail. It is well marked and if vehicles go off the trail, SRD is going to shut the area down to motorized vehicles. An SRD officer told my wife and I they are watching the area closely and if people continue to leave the trail, it will be shut down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Head west on the road through Mountain Park and over the Cardinal Divide. Once over the Divide, travel about 1/2 km to the Box Canyon trail head. There's a pullout on your left. On the way in to Box Canyon, watch for a small, wood sign hanging in a tree that says Crystal Falls. It's about a 50 ft. walk and worth seeing. Continue on to Box and you'll see some beautiful scenery, but please stay on the trail. It is well marked and if vehicles go off the trail, SRD is going to shut the area down to motorized vehicles. An SRD officer told my wife and I they are watching the area closely and if people continue to leave the trail, it will be shut down.

H V, I think you would head South to Mountain Park from Cadomin???

Bruce.

Attachments

• Cadomin AB 2014.jpg
    Cadomin AB 2014.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 775

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt the mine take all of that area?

Grinder the Box Canyon, (The Cadinal River Falls) is not inside the Mine Site (red outline), or the Whitehorse Wildland Provincial Park.
I understand that there has been a limit on how far one can go to, at the end of this canyon. I have read some where that the Cadinal Falls are out of bounds and the two wheelers/600 cc's and larger, can no longer climb to the top of the Prospect Mt as it is now inside the W W P P.

Bruce.

Attachments

• Cardinal River Box Canyon, Cadomin AB.jpg
    Cardinal River Box Canyon, Cadomin AB.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
were was the road washed out east or west of the switchback, can I get there from ruby or from cadomin. If cadomin side I thought the road through mountain park was mined up as the map shows

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
were was the road washed out east or west of the switchback, can I get there from ruby or from cadomin. If cadomin side I thought the road through mountain park was mined up as the map shows

Grinder, it has been years since I was in this area, before the W W P P and the new TECK MINE site, the info that I have posted, I gleemed from the TECk Mine Site and my Garmin MapSource Software. Washed out roads ???. If you care to contact a Lisa Risvold Johnes at lisajohnes@teck.com or 780-856-7064, she is the one to answer your questions on accsess to to area on the Grave Flats Rd. It looks like it runs along side (with a berm between) their haul road with control, when blasting in the area.

Bruce.

Last edited:

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
H V, I think you would head South to Mountain Park from Cadomin???

Bruce.

Well, I guess it's kinda south west, but you just have to follow the main road out of Cadomin. Pay attention after you're over the Divide and you can't miss the Box Canyon trail.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The road is washed out about 2 km south of the Box Canyon trail. If you're camped by the Ruby trail, you can still get to Box Canyon. There are two river crossings, before and after the wash out that are quite easy on a quad or SxS. We went from Cadomin to Ruby on 3 SxS's about a month ago and had no issues with the crossings.

Tbaz

Reaction score
Looking for trail head for cadomin mountain from the town ( cadomin) seems to be the best view/ride w/out the 25km hike to the divide

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for trail head for cadomin mountain from the town ( cadomin) seems to be the best view/ride w/out the 25km hike to the divide

steep ass climb to get up there... Few hairy spots on that trail.... U have to access it from power house creek trail which is
right after the second supertube on way to cardinal divide. You'll seethe sign. Turn left there n follow it into the harris valley. It's sonewhat marked but not real easy to follow. Really steep climb. Take the trail through the trees... May have to winch up.

Landrew

Reaction score
Maybe June but better yet July then the snows gone and the water levels are lower.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup mid June at the earliest and even then it's muddy as hell and river crossings can be sketchy

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Mad Outy Max

Reaction score
Thanks. Where would be the most central place to camp to best enjoy the area? Never been there except sheep hunting ( no atv LOL )

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Where would be the most central place to camp to best enjoy the area? Never been there except sheep hunting ( no atv LOL )

Most central would probably be just over the Divide at box canyon trail or there's one further up along the river but just those two n the second one is muddy t get into.

Top Bottom