Trailer Wiring Issue

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Borrowing a friends car hauler this wknd to make a run into the city & pick up a parts truck.

I hooked up tonight to my truck & all I get is L&R signal lights, L&R brake lights.
No trailer brakes, no marker lights, & it doesnt indicate that I have a trailer on with my factory brake controler.

Where do I even start looking? Was going to pull the trailer plug apart & see what it looks like inside, then start chassing wires.
Just dont have alot of time to get this thing ready for the road.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clean the plug. Scratch it up with a pic or something on the terminals. I know with my truck it seems very sensitive to any corrosion in the plug. Other than that your going in the right direction by taking apart and inspecting the plug. Does it work on his truck?

Royboy1

Reaction score
Depending in what you drive for a vehicle, my 2010 ford super duty has a separate fuse for the trailer marker lights and brakes.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im running a 06 F350 SD & I know about the trailer fueses.
He did mention he wasnt getting trailer brakes even with his own truck. I will be checking what I can during the day.

plumcrazycuda5

Reaction score
Its more then likely in the trailer plug, spray some wd40 into the female end on your truck or di electric grease and check wires on trailer plug. They tend to break or pull out of the terminals from pulling and twisting all the time. Im pretty sure your signals and brake lights run off the same wires so your tail light wire and brake control wire are probably broken or pulled out inside the trailer plug.

Last edited:

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
clean trailer/truck connection, check fuses, then check for a good ground on trailer at the frame and make sure trailer is grounded an hooked up to truck when making checks.. .. I had no trailer brakes at the end of last season on my sled trailer, redid all the brakes 2 years ago new drums and shoes etc.. Thought maybe just need to adjust shoes but found a couple broken wires at two of the magnets , then found two magnets that were toast..
I made up a test light to test the truck side trailer brake controller on my duramax and eliminate the truck I used a round male 6 pin connector and wired it to a headlight bulb then plug into the truck and try your brakes truck should recognize that a trailer is hooked up an the headlamp will iluminate as you press on brakes..

plumcrazycuda5

Reaction score
You can also buy a tester that plugs in to your truck and has lights on it for brakes, signals, trailer brakes, clearance/tail lights at princess auto for cheap. Easy way to eliminate the truck.

srxdude

Reaction score
Take and use a battery charger. Hook ground to trailer or trailer ground wire then with the pos with a wire or probe hooked to the clamp touch the terminals on the plug. This way you see what is and isn't working on the trailer and can maybe isolate it to the plug or the wiring

Top Bottom