Trailer shopping

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow...just a little scary out there.

I don't look at it that way. All i hear is "we are in a recession" If you actually sit back and look at the big picture its not so bad. The dollar is still better than it was in the early 2000's. we are getting layoffs now because we cant be in a "boom" for ever. gas is where it was a couple years ago. its better than 1.30 it was last winter. Its the US thats in a bad way and if Canada can hold it together over the next 12 months we will be laughing. im sure i will get some flack for this!!!:eek:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I bought a travelair 5th wheel from RV city in Morinville. Great service. Mine is "winterized" which means upgraded windows, heated tanks, even the drain is enclosed. There is no exposed pipe anywhere.
Built in Red Deer by Albertans for Albertans. I try and by local if possible all the time.
Watch the ones made cheap in the US for US climates ... they tend not to do well here.
After that get one with the options you like! :beer::cool::beer:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't look at it that way. All i hear is "we are in a recession" If you actually sit back and look at the big picture its not so bad. The dollar is still better than it was in the early 2000's. we are getting layoffs now because we cant be in a "boom" for ever. gas is where it was a couple years ago. its better than 1.30 it was last winter. Its the US thats in a bad way and if Canada can hold it together over the next 12 months we will be laughing. im sure i will get some flack for this!!!:eek:

Canada IS in a good positon overall. Problem is everyone buys into the media hype of the US problem. Alberta needed a correction from this hyper active economy.

We managed to find a really good deal on an Okanagan. Made in Canada. Unfortunately they too are out of business, but the trailer is of such good quality and is in amazing condition that we feel confident it will be with us for a while. It has the best of the best in materials and workmanship. Took us alot of looking around and we had to drive to Savanah, BC to get it, but well worth it.

If we need anything, Posnick has been and will be our go to guy.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious why a 5th wheel? Size? A travel trailer will allow you to haul sleds/quads/toys while your camping.

Attachments

• truck and trailer.JPG
    truck and trailer.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 168

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canada IS in a good positon overall. Problem is everyone buys into the media hype of the US problem. Alberta needed a correction from this hyper active economy.

We managed to find a really good deal on an Okanagan. Made in Canada. Unfortunately they too are out of business, but the trailer is of such good quality and is in amazing condition that we feel confident it will be with us for a while. It has the best of the best in materials and workmanship. Took us alot of looking around and we had to drive to Savanah, BC to get it, but well worth it.

If we need anything, Posnick has been and will be our go to guy.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
dont go to park view rv in wetasiwin, we bought a new one the last year and its spent more time there than anywhere. very poor service. it was a fleetwood prowler and nothing but headaches with it.:nono::nono:

I agree those guys at Parkview are a bunch of #*&#ing losers! first they told me that my trailer retailed for 10k more than it actually did! So when i got my 10k off i was actually paying the retail price. On the side of Fleetwood on the first trip out the fuel tank almost fell out the only reason it didnt was because the fuel rushed to the one end and the tank got stuck. The water tank fell out twice. The propane line sheared off and was dragging behind the trailer. Then the icing on the cake, the front wall supports started to buckle and when I took it back to Parkview they said they called fleetwood for warrenty but they would not warrenty the frame because I put a second battery box rack on. It was only at parkview for a day. I talked to a local RV Tech and he sent in the warrenty claim again and it took fleetwood 6months to get back to me and they said they were familar with the claim but PARKVIEW already denied it so they wouldent do anything about it.
As far as I am concered I would Parkview RV and Fleetwood are both the worst dealer and the worst brand!:rant::realmad:

grizzley1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i cant agree with ya more. they are all losers. exp the b$#ch in the back. the warranty girl(they now have a new one). i have been emailing fleetwood complaint line and they pertty much said good f#$king luck we are broke and cant do a thing. nice ah . oh well trade the ch!t off and loss a bunch of money.so right now its back there again at parkview getting a new front cap on it. imagine that hahahah

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious why a 5th wheel? Size? A travel trailer will allow you to haul sleds/quads/toys while your camping.

I'm looking for a 5th wheel because i have a wakeboard boat and I don't want to have to take two vehicles when i go camping, I don't have a quad and i'm more into watersports, well until the wife lets me get a rhino. Gotta have the "b" train rollin, hopefully by the end of may anyways.

Scuba

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah, makes sense. I do most of my camping in BC so have to rent a ski boat when we are on vacation - can't do the b-train thing in BC.

I agree with sledderdoc, I bought a 2003 Frontier made by Peak Manufacturing out of Saskatchewan. They had gone bankrupt before I bought it so the trailer came with an after market warrenty. I never did have a claim and the trailer has been solid - it's a quality built trailer. I even dragged it through a creek when camping in BC once - we never paid to camp until we moved to Alberta. We camp all year long and average over 30 days a year in it.

I'd focus on finding a quality trailer to avoid any warrenty claims - I think they are a major hassle with any manufacturor.

Large tanks are a must. A quality fridge as they are very expensive to repair or replace. All the water lines should be run in the living quarters (through the cabinets) not under the cab exposed to the elements. Don't worry about winter windows or heated tanks. You can always heat the tank and spray foam them later.

Make sure your dry weight and GVW difference is at least 1500lbs + your boat tonque wieght.

The batteries are usually junk...pitch them and install 12v lead acid gel batteries. I've got two and 80w solar so I can last 8-10 days without hook-up.

My two bits,

Shawn.

.08rider

Reaction score
Jayco, built by menonites in the states, good quality and overall product. great price. best selling trailr or 5th wheel in north america.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a 26ft jayco with a 99 cc chevy 454 for 11,000.......what do you think is wrong, is it to good to be true??? I gotta get down to calgary to check it out, hopefully its around next week as i'm off to mexico.........

Last edited:

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so are there any quality rv makers in canada still that make holiday trailers or are they all bankrupt?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We bought a 1999 Thor Wanderer 22' a couple of years ago...great trailer, awesome layout. Sleeps six when needed but when we are only two there is no folding tables or couches for a bed, it has a front queen bedroom. We have however decided to sell it because a truck camper makes more sense, will still allow me to haul the flat deck and toys or boat. we bought it a Woddies in Red Deer, got a smoking deal...took them a little bit to fix up the minor details but overall not as bad as many stories I have heard...So if anyone out there has a winterized camper for sale or is interested in a 22' trailer or even the lake lot for that matter let me know.

Cheers:beer:

Bogger

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sold my '98 454 2500 4x4 for $7500. Makes you wonder but could be some sort of distress sale.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
When you narrow it down to a particular trailer that ya like, talk to the parts/service department. They will tell you the pros and cons of that model. My next one will have a king bed, large shower, large hot water tank, lots of water capacity both fresh and black, winter package,torrsion suspension, and more that I just can't think of now. Am I asking to much???? Good luck Scuba :beer:

feyd

Reaction score
When you narrow it down to a particular trailer that ya like, talk to the parts/service department. They will tell you the pros and cons of that model. My next one will have a king bed, large shower, large hot water tank, lots of water capacity both fresh and black, winter package,torrsion suspension, and more that I just can't think of now. Am I asking to much???? Good luck Scuba :beer:

Watch your weights too....any decent size toyhauler will most likely put you over your GVWR. My Chev 1-ton only has about 2100lbs of allowable pin weight before I am over my GVWR.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Go big Scuba :d I know what your saying feyd. A guy I work with has a triple axle Cyclone using a dually mega cab cummins. Not enough truck.

Attachments

• 082308 035.jpg
    082308 035.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 082308 038.jpg
    082308 038.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 082308 040.jpg
    082308 040.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 42

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
watch your weights too....any decent size toyhauler will most likely put you over your gvwr. My chev 1-ton only has about 2100lbs of allowable pin weight before i am over my gvwr.

any reputable dealer should be able to help you ensure you have the right package

Top Bottom