Trailer shopping

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about purchasing a 5th wheel.....any thing that a guy should be looking out for and or asking. This will be my first trailer purchase and i don't want a headache after if i missed something.

thanks

Scuba

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about purchasing a 5th wheel.....any thing that a guy should be looking out for and or asking. This will be my first trailer purchase and i don't want a headache after if i missed something.

thanks

Scuba

what the F, its a recession out there Scuba, are you guys hiring Im slowly bleeding to death here second year of 35% less income, it hurtttssss me last year was my first year ever of going backwards and i dont like it... and this year is just plain scaring me....:(

I need a new career anyone hiring?????

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'll give you a job up here 7on 7off as a first year and you could still sell cars on the side.............get a ticket and then you always have a backup plan

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure there is lots of room in the bathroom. Nothing worse then having to leave the door open when going #2 because you do not fit.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is an R.V. Mech.He could tell ya all the good stuff and the bad stuff about some of them.Let me know if you want his #BIG fridge is important..lots of beer

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Make sure there is lots of room in the bathroom. Nothing worse then having to leave the door open when going #2 because you do not fit.

YUP !!!!!

Try to keep it simple I know you want it decked out like a house but honestly beside using the can and sleeping you don't spend much time in it unless it is pouring rain and ya got a movie. We spent over 30 nights in the trailer last year and fancy cupboard doors, fancy counter tops and fancy rims doesn't make to stay any better...keep it simple

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other thing is. On our new one we have a built in generator, which is nice and convienent. But the thing is a gas pig. We still end up using the honda 2000 . It is nice and quiet and can run for 12 hrs on 4 litres of fuel

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree with murm. all the bells and whistles usually never gets used, however, the fancier cabinets usually means better quality which equalls longevity. on that note, the average person only keeps there rv for 5 years. then its time for a change

grizzley1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont go to park view rv in wetasiwin, we bought a new one the last year and its spent more time there than anywhere. very poor service. it was a fleetwood prowler and nothing but headaches with it.:nono::nono:

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont go to park view rv in wetasiwin, we bought a new one the last year and its spent more time there than anywhere. very poor service. it was a fleetwood prowler and nothing but headaches with it.:nono::nono:

on that note, anyone that does own a fleetwood, get it into your dealer for any warrenty work it needs ASAP!!!! fleetwood has gone from $38/share down to 11 cents/share and now they are not even trading anymore. fleetwood has 90 days left before bankruptcy unless they pull something out of there butt to keep em afloat. they have lost 100 million a year for quite a few years in a row and finally their lenders have cut them off

grizzley1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well thx for the heads upi think ill be tradeing it in then. what make would anyone recommend, as who gives the best service????????

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'll give you a job up here 7on 7off as a first year and you could still sell cars on the side.............get a ticket and then you always have a backup plan

Scuba, make sure you get the thermo pain window's great for cooler weather and do not fog/dew up with condensation when the weather changes and you have water running down the inside walls of the trailer.

Look for cabinet drawers on roller glides make sure they don't have the hard plastic hangers (the things always break) causing your drawers to hang or not close properly.

Good size shower/bathroom is a must. A built in generator is a great idea. 30 or 50 amp power service, nothing less.

Storage is a huge thing to look for, make sure you have enough room inside and outside for what you think your essential are and what you intend to carry along with you i.e. room for the lawn chairs, bbq, cooler, fishing gear, carpet for under the awning.

Last but not least make sure the water capacity (tankage) is large enough to handle you needs. Don't go less than 45 gallons of drinking water..... You will always be running short.

Oh ya, propane capacity and make sure it has an automatic switchover so when one tank goes low it will auto switch to the full tank, nothing worse than getting up at 2 in the a.m. to switch tanks over all because the wify is cold.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just an update for ya. effective today, fleetwood is no longer producing travel trailers and fifth wheels. they will continue to build motorized and park models. in 2007 they lost 65.3 million. they do not know what they are going to do about their warrenties as of yet but will issue a statement at a later date. monaco and r-vision are both closed now also. pacific coach works is next to go.

what this means to us as consumers is be carefull of what you buy and who you buy from. if the dealer goes out of business your screwed. if the manufacturer goes out of business your really screwed.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
R-Vision...wow. When we were looking I thought R-Vision was a good product. How big will the failure list get??

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
R-Vision...wow. When we were looking I thought R-Vision was a good product. How big will the failure list get??

the list is already quite large. It seems any manufacturer that wasnt debt free, or close to it is done. This goes for dealers as well.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought a Zinger a couple years ago. Bottom of the list for qaulity reveiws but have had no problems with the trailer itself, only the fridge wich is a manufacturer recall. Nice and cheap and keeps you dry in the rain and off the cold hard ground. and also has a 6 ft long dining table so there is at least enough room that you can sit at it with a family of four.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Zinger is a good trailer for its price range. its come a long ways since it was first introduced ;) good value for your dollar on the newer models

Top Bottom