Trailer or Sled deck

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prefer deck over a open trailer. Sleds are easier to transport, easier to maneuver in the hotel parking lots and staging areas. Can drive up the trail farther in early or late season riding. Sleds tend to stay cleaner on deck than on open trailer.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if its for 2 people the sled deck is easy loading,parking at hotel and staging is easier,fuel economy is better,(cheaper cost on fuel per trip means more trips per season}. if for more than 2 people we find a inclosed trailer is better. also with a trailer you have more tires,wheel bearings,brakes etc all which is more maintence.so if its for 2 people i like the deck,if your thinking of deck and small trailer for 1 or 2 more people look for a enclosed trailer

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had both, started with a trailer for a couple of years then went to a deck for the reasons mentioned above. I found the deck more troublesome for many reasons. I travel with my dogs so they get the crew cab part of the truck, our riding gear and clothes would go under the deck with the gas and oil. Snow blows under the deck so i was constantly using garbage bags or Rubbermaid totes. I used turn buckles to tie the deck down, you need to constantly check on them as they do seem to loosen off. The eyes in most pickups are only rated for 500lbs and I've seen a deck on it's side with a quad attached to it. Then there's the loading of sleds on the deck which usually goes well but throw in a tight parking place, uneven ground and some ice and things may not be text book loading. 2 years ago I bought a 2-3 place open aluminum to try it, kept my deck incase I didn't like it. In the 2 years of using it I never once disliked it. Only had to detach it once to turn it by hand which was easy. I have a locking tonneau cover so my gear is dry and protected, put extra fuel on trailer. Once I'm home I back the trailer into my quonset, unhook and call it a day until next trip. Sold the deck and will keep rolling with the trailer. To each their own with provolone.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will admit the trailer can be a bit of a pain somedays but I tell you what. Rolling into a stagging area, sleds clean and gear bags tidy is always looked at with envy when a crew shows up and everything and I mean everything is covered in road grime. Covers on sleds only protects so much. The only mess I deal with is the utility gloves getting a little wet opening up the trailer locks. Another side note, if you use a trailer invest in some good hitch locks or a boot, thieves are getting pretty damned smart these days.

If you live at the bottom of a mountain however I would get a sled deck. But I travel from the Edmonton area as far west as the Shuswap, south to Idaho. I will put up with scattered parking issues.

Last edited:

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've run both a deck and a 2 place trailer. I like the deck for all the reasons mentioned above.

Another plus for the deck is the amount of traction/weight you have on the truck when loaded.

Another con for the trailer is storing it when you aren't using it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'll throw in another curve ball for you to consider; change the box out for a flat deck!

The base price is $3800, so it is a little more expensive than a regular deck. The sides fold and there are stake holders to put up wooden sides and still have a box. Not near as high as a deck for the cambered loading problems. Ramp storage included and tool boxes if you want. This one came with SuperGlides but I had to install (due to different required width).

IMG_2649.jpg IMG_2650.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in another curve ball for you to consider; change the box out for a flat deck!

The base price is $3800, so it is a little more expensive than a regular deck. The sides fold and there are stake holders to put up wooden sides and still have a box. Not near as high as a deck for the cambered loading problems. Ramp storage included and tool boxes if you want. This one came with SuperGlides but I had to install (due to different required width).

View attachment 175909 View attachment 175910
Not everyone has ur cash lol

Only thing I don't like on ur set up is when I used drive to b.c to sled, to make it cheap enough, it was 3-4 guys....
So gear has to go under sled deck in toats ect.... No room on urs for that the same way... Good for two yes

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably the biggest disadvantage of a deck is that you need a 3/4 or 1 ton to do it legally so your vehicle cost is a lot higher than a trailer that can be towed with a half ton.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score

View attachment 175909 View attachment 175910

When do I get to buy that hand me down??

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had both. Deck is convenient but getting ready in a heated trailer, sledn vids on the flat screen and a nice place to wrench if needed is awesome. I realize not comparing apples to apples in terms of price. The end of the day is really nice with a heated trailer too, take all your gear off, hang it, usually beverage and bull **** sessions and load sleds right before leaving.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a good point assaultn. If I was doing long hauls, then a heated trailer would be the chit.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used a flat deck trailer my whole life in sask. It sucks. Sleds get rusty bolts and pipes and covered in salt. Then you need to store trailer....

Enclosed is like having a garage with you.
We take one on our mountain trips and its awesome, get there with a clean dry sled. The heated ones with proper drainage and places to dry your boots and helmets are ridiculously nice, clean and dry sled and gear every day. But once again need to store it and they are as much as a sled.

Decks look sweet for short trips, like you just need to leave town but you need a 2500 but technically probably should for a 5 place enclosed anyways.

I want a 3-4 place 7' enclosed for my 1500. Easy towing... Not too long. My friends trailer we have fit 4-163s in it and 2-174s and an extra skid... It has to be 8-9' high? It was for side by sides but i can ride in standing up with my helmet sitting on my head and not have to duck but its not insulated nor is it heated.

#canadastrong

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trailer is the way to go. Nothing like having nice dry gear, and clean sleds every morning in the midst of winter.

Then in the summer, its a great place to store your sleds.... Long track's take up way to much bloody space in the garage.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned a 4 place and currently own a hand full of enclosed trailers. The trailers are nice for keeping the sleds clean and changing in but I prefer the deck its much easier and quicker and the bit if road grime is gone after a few turns, plus the deck makes you get changed real quick!

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
I own a 2 place open trailer w/front shield, I can move it by hand, tow it (1500# with the sleds) with my SUV and at the end of the day I can just back it into the shop and unhook it. I own a Dodge 1 ton but I don't want to tie up the box and I'm also not a fan of loading and unloading from that height. An enclosed trailer would be sweet, but I would have to use the truck to tow it and about $6000 more to buy it. For me it all boils down to money. I can save on fuel and purchase price, so I have the money to put into riding. Everyone's needs are different, Good Luck.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on your needs and I'm not just talking for sledding. I need my truck as a "truck" A sled deck would just be in the way. An enclosed would be nice but I often put my sled trailer in my heated garage. No hassle of propane tanks to refill, moisture issues etc. Just back it in and forget it. Sled battery on my daughters sled is always nice and warm though out the winter. Yes it would be nice to have somewhere warm to dress though.
I also opted for a tandem axle. At the time I had an off road dune buggy so could haul that on it. I still have a street legal fiber glass buggy but haven't had it on the trailer. As well I got a longer sled trailer. It sure is nice to have the extra room on the deck.

Top Bottom