Tracks on 2013 outlander 1000

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about trying out a set of tracks on the outlander. Just wondering how well they work in the winter in deep snow, what kind of speed across the field, what kit is the best?

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy has one I used for hunting this year goes anywhere , had it in about 1 ft snow , get about 60kph in good going but sure kicks up the snow. Before I would do it would definitely have a use for it other than just a toy, gets old fast

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cuts your speed in half and doubles your fuel consumption, will go through any snow Ab. can throw at them.
I have the Tatou 4S, never tried them in summer though.

Megrizzly

Reaction score
I would definitely have an alternative motive or use if buying tracks. There is a reason you see quite a few kits for sale that are near new. Simply put: the buyer didn't have enough use for them. So unless you can find a few friends to purchase kits as well or other tracked atv/sxs users or have enough utility uses for them (i.e. logging, hunting, grooming, accessibility), your probably not going to use them much.

As far as performance: in the deep snow, they are quite good. Probably there only drawbacks in deep snow are if your going to "drift bust" or trying to climb long, steep hills in deep snow. I'm not saying they won't do it, but it may take a few runs at it. For utility work in the bush, they are better than any utility snowmobile I've encountered. Also quite good during the summer or fall. Maybe not for the hardcore mudbogger or trail rider, but if you want to get to a place, I'd definitely have the tracks on.

Other things:
-speed reduction depends on the drive gear, figure on a 65% maintained speed or 1/3 reduction. If your speedometer says your doing 60km/h, your actually doing 40.
-increased fuel consumption since the bike is spinning at a quicker speed. I do find that there is more consistency in distance travelled and fuel consumption though.
-when compared to a similar bike on tires, you can see the benefits of the tracks in nearly every condition. 1" or 1' or 4' of snow, the tracks outperform.
-tracks hold their ground clearance better and are less prone to high-centerering or dragging the skids even with the same measured ground clearance
-don't tend to break the parts like the big tires do. However, since tracks exert more leverage, a wheel bearing that becomes less than ideal will be eaten by the tracks.

No complaints, outstanding performance and phenomenal customer service from Camoplast.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These two pix are of a poster on another forum . He rides a Can-Am 2014 Tracked Outlander 1000. Be sure to take along a shovel with you in case. He rides in UTAH, USA.

Bruce. :ranger: :canadaflag:

Attachments

• Gunny1.jpg
    Gunny1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Snow Hole 3 from Gunny.jpg
    Snow Hole 3 from Gunny.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 171

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have been riding the 4 seater commander on tracks for the last couple weeks, everyday for work, (I would not recommend this machine for work, POS). tracks worked well, only 18 inches of snow though, way more stable than a snowmobile, a bit of maintenance required till tracks set in, Track tension, bolts falling out etc. once tracks stretch and bearings etc seat, visual check every day, and once over every week should eliminate most of the problems. there are some good maintenance vids on u-tube.
tack derailed on sunday, no maintenance no checks done, utv had good power and ran good.
so now we are using the ranger, way better working machine than the commander, abit less power, more room, more capacity, bette ride, mileage on ranger is way better than can-am sorry but can-am just don't cut it, glad i don't own it,
tracks are heavy, speed is down 30-40 %, won't replace a snowmobile but has a different application.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm dying to try a quad with tracks on it. I was planning to buy a set a while back when we had more snowfall than usual. What stopped me was the fact that none of my buddies have them, so I'd have no one to ride with when the snow is too deep for tires.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ran my 2010 Can Am Outlander 650 Max with tracks since 2010
I love them
Will go any where go - even up to top of the tracks (without the blade or pulling the trailer)
With tracks -blade - 6' trailer I can go places a regular quad with ITP tires is stuck and still pull them out with trailer attached.

Sounds great BUT:
Speed is reduced by 40% - but that is fast enough with tracks
Need power steering
Have to snow sock the intakes - the tracks throw so much snow in the air.
Will have to cut some plastics in the wheel wells and front bumper
Great for slower trail riding -- anything faster get a sled..
Takes me 1 hour to change from tires to tracks
Back tracks do not climb logs - they get hung up

That said I like them and glad I put them on - they are fun in their own way

Attachments

• 00-2010-11-30_TCSC_TM_Tracks109.jpg
    00-2010-11-30_TCSC_TM_Tracks109.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have been riding the 4 seater commander on tracks for the last couple weeks, everyday for work, (I would not recommend this machine for work, POS). tracks worked well, only 18 inches of snow though, way more stable than a snowmobile, a bit of maintenance required till tracks set in, Track tension, bolts falling out etc. once tracks stretch and bearings etc seat, visual check every day, and once over every week should eliminate most of the problems. there are some good maintenance vids on u-tube.
tack derailed on sunday, no maintenance no checks done, utv had good power and ran good.
so now we are using the ranger, way better working machine than the commander, abit less power, more room, more capacity, bette ride, mileage on ranger is way better than can-am sorry but can-am just don't cut it, glad i don't own it,
tracks are heavy, speed is down 30-40 %, won't replace a snowmobile but has a different application.
Soooo....don't put tracks on an Outlander because in your opinion, Polaris Ranger/Rzr is better than a Commander? Infallible logic as always Mr wizard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom