Track speed vs. floation

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 sled with a 151 inch track. Its a skidoo so it's 16 inch wide.

I rode a rental 163 inch 16 inch wide track last weekend. It wasn't the most epic of snow conditions type of ride though so I can't say for sure the 163 is that much better.

Looking at possibly picking up a new sled for next year. Do you think you loose quite a bit of track speed with the longer tracks? I was going to go with a 154 inch but the 163 is only $50 more. Then I started thinking 146 would probably be fine. I remember when my dad rode a 86 Phazer not too long ago and he always kept up. I ride the mountains but in all reality there is still a lot of trail riding you need to do to.

What do you all think?
???

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode a Mountain Cat with a 144, than moved to a M1000 162. I dont notice a big difference on the trails, but it really sits on top of the snow when in the deep. It may not seem like more floatation, but consider the length times the width, huge difference. I wouldnt ever go back to a shorter track for a mountain sled.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like riding trails and mountains I'd go with a 154 its a good all around length. the 146 isn't great in the deep snow and a 163 in the deep will rock the shorter tracked sleds badly my 2 cents

wiffler79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im in the same boat but i think the146 with a little extra track speed and manuverabilty(flickable) will better suit my riding better. hell last year i missed every deep pow day cause of work. and well this year dont go there lack of in our area.but what ever u go with i think the new doos are gonna rock.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm in the same boat with track length dilema. i ride a 151x16 now, but i've been told my ridng style (jumping- dropping)would not be condusive to a much longer track. i would still love to rock a 163 tho for those deep days and steep lines. (those do seem far and few between for me these days though):rolleyes: i think the 154 is a good comprimise, probbaly why theres so many out there.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to be pretty extreme to damage a 163" sled. I've been running one for six years and I did a bit of damage to the rear skid arm(broke in half), but a short track still would of done the same thing. Hagman can vouch for this, they will take a beating.

Top Bottom