track question....

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if you can cut the lugs on a track so it is not as stiff.... for example on a challanger lite the lugs have ribs on them to make it stiff can the ribs be cut off... or will it damage the track to much.. thank you for any input

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 181
W

woodies

I know some of the assualt riders talked about doing that, not sure why you would my self. Most complain the lugs fold to easy.

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know some of the assualt riders talked about doing that, not sure why you would my self. Most complain the lugs fold to easy.
ya im with woodies on this one man, unless your in deep deep powder ( which is rare) your better off having a stiffer lug. Better pick up and go, also much better stopping power. immagine ur lugs folding over when ur trying to stop before you run into the guy in front of you haha

but if you need something to do, it will take a really long time haha i wouldn't risk it.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ya im with woodies on this one man, unless your in deep deep powder ( which is rare) your better off having a stiffer lug. Better pick up and go, also much better stopping power. immagine ur lugs folding over when ur trying to stop before you run into the guy in front of you haha

but if you need something to do, it will take a really long time haha i wouldn't risk it.

you've never been to blue river have you? always deep pow!

and boots i have the same track on my 06 rev, i was thinking of cutting the lugs down the middle about half way so its kinda like a finger track

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you've never been to blue river have you? always deep pow!

and boots i have the same track on my 06 rev, i was thinking of cutting the lugs down the middle about half way so its kinda like a finger track

hay there dooryder nice to see the name change... have you seen a track cut like that....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol to each his own. i wouldnt sit there for 6 hours cutting those off hahaha

but yeah i dont like that track much.

so if u do it let us know how it works!!

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that it would be alot of work... we will see still looking into it

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the labour would be cheaper then the track IMO

and no i havent seen one like that, but was told it works

Yep, I heard it works good too. I don't think it would take you 6 hrs. It only takes me about 2.5 hrs to port a track with 3 holes across the middle in each row. Cutting the paddles should be pretty quick with a good sharp knife, one or two cuts down the middle. The very stiff paddles are the same issue that Doo had with the Powderlight (POS) and those stiff paddles and the track design only wanted to do one thing - TRENCH! :) If you are looking to save $800 on a new track, I would give the cutting a try, worse thing that happens is you still hate it and have to get a new track, which you would have anyway. Only thing you would be out is a few $$ for some new exacto blades and a couple hours of your time.

The issue guys have with paddles folding too easy is on the taller tracks where there is not a lot of support on the upper 1/3 of the paddle and they are also using them on big HP sleds where the trackspeeds are higher.

You are right it will act more like a finger track - finger tracks don't work as well in the powder but IMO they probably work better than the stiff paddle tracks. They really excell on the harder snow (spring time) like what we are starting to get into now.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the info but got a good deal on a new track, couldn't pass it up...

Top Bottom