Track Extension

renegade BCX

Reaction score
Hi
I was thinking of extending the track on a 2012 renegade backcountry X. Just wondering if anyone has done this before with this same sled? I am thinking of going from a 137" up to a 154" 16" wide with a 2.5" paddle. Also have decided to go with whole new rails from ice age vrs rail extensions.

Couple questions:
Will this big of a track fit in my tunnel without having to change drivers? If not what's the biggest I can go?
What gearing should I go to and will I have to mess around with clutching? I was thinking of setting it up similar to a summit or freeride 154 or am I thinking wrong?

I still do a lot of trail riding and also wondering if I will run into over heating issues by doing something like this?

Any input or comments will be greatly appreciated!!

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Hi
I was thinking of extending the track on a 2012 renegade backcountry X. Just wondering if anyone has done this before with this same sled? I am thinking of going from a 137" up to a 154" 16" wide with a 2.5" paddle. Also have decided to go with whole new rails from ice age vrs rail extensions.

Couple questions:
Will this big of a track fit in my tunnel without having to change drivers? If not what's the biggest I can go?
What gearing should I go to and will I have to mess around with clutching? I was thinking of setting it up similar to a summit or freeride 154 or am I thinking wrong?

I still do a lot of trail riding and also wondering if I will run into over heating issues by doing something like this?

Any input or comments will be greatly appreciated!!

There is a gaurd in front of the front cooler you have to remove for it to fit... And the biggest track you can put on that sled is a 2.25. Have a look at the freeride 137 specs in the XP-RS chassis... There is NO clearence there. That seems like an awful lot of money to put into a sled to try and make it into a mountain sled.. then at the end... You are going to be left with a super wide stance summit, 40 inches.... You might want to try dropping a driver size and going with a little bigger of a gear.. But now your looking at 1500 for track and drivers... +extension +rails +gearing +clutching. So just a ballpark..... 2500 bucks before labor? then you are still going to want to get that S-36 front end kit... Otherwise that is going to be the worst handling mountain sled around.... Im not trying to burst your bubble but you MIGHT want to look at going to that 2.25 and try the set up they already have for it! One of the embassadors for ski doo had a freeride 137 2.25" and he rode it around the mountains all year! Hope that helps

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
And keep this info for later becuase you will need it... BRP runs the same gearing in the stock freeride 137 2.25 as they do in your sled.. Which is a 45 bottom top gear and a 23 tooth top gear.
The 154 is 21 tooth top gear and 49 tooth bottom gear.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would never try to change a sled to something else again. Farther ahead to just get a different one. Or like T-team says, just find a good deal on a 137x2.25 and stick it under there and not change anything else.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on how much hardpack around home you'll ride, you may have some cooling issues with the short cooler. Keep the flap good and low if you do go this route.

renegade BCX

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the feed back guys! So from what I understand you guys have not had much success with these types of modifications?

I go to the mountains around 2-3 times per year and on great powder days I just don't have enough track. Trail riding and ditch banging around northern AB I couldn't ask for a better sled however guys are doing just fine with summits in the same conditions. I'm not an extreme rider by any means just looking for a little more in the mountains. For what ii would get for this sled and to get into a summit I will be looking at 6-7K I figure.

I figured I could get into extension and bigger track for around 2K but at the same time I don't want to steer away from the reliability of the machine. Are you guys suggesting not extending but just going to a 2 1/4" lug? Which will fit in my tunnel correct?

kgb117

Reaction score
This seems like a very expensive mod. That track is just too short for the mountains. Like tteam said this is gonna run you around $3g before labour. I'm sure if you sold your sled and bought a summit of the same year it would probably cost you less... Without the shorter intercooler problem etc.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the feed back guys! So from what I understand you guys have not had much success with these types of modifications?

I go to the mountains around 2-3 times per year and on great powder days I just don't have enough track. Trail riding and ditch banging around northern AB I couldn't ask for a better sled however guys are doing just fine with summits in the same conditions. I'm not an extreme rider by any means just looking for a little more in the mountains. For what ii would get for this sled and to get into a summit I will be looking at 6-7K I figure.

I figured I could get into extension and bigger track for around 2K but at the same time I don't want to steer away from the reliability of the machine. Are you guys suggesting not extending but just going to a 2 1/4" lug? Which will fit in my tunnel correct?

You are kind of missing what I said dude. I Hear ya about riding down home... But I think your only option will be to go taller... and not longer. You can get a tunnel extension and a track for around 2k... but you are going to run into a lot of issues unless you change your gearing around and your clutching. As for reliablitly..... You should expect that to go down unless you are doing a total changeover. I think you might have it in your head that a renegade is just a short summit... This may be the case with a different brand but there are quite a few more differences other than the length of the tunnel and the track.. and unless you are ready to splash out for those extras... which in my opinion would be a waste of money.... You are going to have a machine caught in the middle... not good for either riding styles! Throw a 2.25 in there and call it a day man. It will fit 100% and BRP didnt change the gearing at all from your machine to that one. Best value for upgrade in my opinion!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tunnel extensions are a bad idea. 90% of the cooling happens in the last 12" of the tunnel cooler. By extending you are essentially removing that cooling surface. I've built so many mod sleds over the years and the extended ones always have cooling issues. For us we didn't care as it was just a short trip up the trail on the alpine and then it was good. But if I was trail riding all the time I would have been one grumpy guy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

renegade BCX

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm understanding what you have been saying. This is not something I have done before and as I said I'm just looking for input, comments, and past experiences from ppl who have done it before. From what your saying it's better to just get into another sled rather than going this route which is what I was debating on and researching the pros and cons. I don't have enough knowledge or want to have to spend a bunch of money in clutching ect.. When I go to the mountains it's to ride not mess around and tweek this and that so I will probably just look at getting into a mountain sled. Thanks for your replies man! Appreciate.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sell then renegade and snow check a summit way better off and you can still ride it around home. I drove my 154 summit into Saskatchewan with no isssues

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on selling it and going to a summit. If you look at the cost of everything you won't much different. And if you ever go to sell the sled the resale is down! The guys who won't a summit will buy a summit and the guys that want a renegade will buy a renegade. Yours left in the middle. And lots of guys don't want a used modified sled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or another option would be to keep your sled as it is if you like it the way it is for around there, and then rent for the few times you go out to the mountains. That way you get to ride a sled perfectly suited to the majority of your riding, and when you rent you get to ride the latest and greatest each year. If you start going to the mountains more, then spend the money on a mountain sled.

Or sell yours and spend the same money on a summit. Seen some pretty good deals on used free rides

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm understanding what you have been saying. This is not something I have done before and as I said I'm just looking for input, comments, and past experiences from ppl who have done it before. From what your saying it's better to just get into another sled rather than going this route which is what I was debating on and researching the pros and cons. I don't have enough knowledge or want to have to spend a bunch of money in clutching ect.. When I go to the mountains it's to ride not mess around and tweek this and that so I will probably just look at getting into a mountain sled. Thanks for your replies man! Appreciate.

The last sled Maxwell had with a tunnell extension on it had its own line of credit at the parts counter.

Top Bottom