Toy hauler questions

Billydozer56

Reaction score
Hello out there

Due to on going improvements by our NDP government, A good friend of mine is selling off Alot of his equipment, property and is taking his trucks to BC

Anyway he has a toyhauler he will not be needing and offered it to a few of us for a good price before he puts it up for sale. My question is this style of toyhauler is a bumper pull and I belive it's 24 feet long. You can park 2 quads in the back. There is a bed that raises up out of the way. There is no dividing wall. Is this a good set up? Does anyone have somthing similar? Is there any issues having your quads in the living quarters. On the way home with the mud and what not.

I was not planing on buying anything but this got me thinking. Is this a good set up? Anything to watch or worrie about?

Cheers

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a open toy hauler with 18 feet in the rear and no separate room, best way to go in my mind

Your toys are in there for the trip there and home, so why not have the space to use

Just put a tarp down and drive the quad on it, never any gas or anything smell

And to the guys that say the separate room seals better, b.s cause gas ect will still smell through a non sealed wall, and no inside wall is sealed

Last edited:

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tex, just leave a vent open when traveling and don't store the quad in the trailer

Braaaaapppp!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the same set up and works good. I don't smell gas or nothing in there. I try not to let the quads or now sxs run in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was arff that lead me to this, just yes don't leave stuff in there for days lol

And don't fill the quads up full either before parking inside , I used the toy tank in trailer to fill it up outside

mbmb

Reaction score
This open type toy hauler is great, I have a bumper tow toy hauler with separate garage and I wish I got the open floor plan instead. Sounds like a good deal not to pass up.

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have owned a 26' 2008 Jayco Octane since new. Still love it.
Never had an issue with fuel smell, or mud. I put down a carpet or as Tex said, use a tarp.
Turn the gas off on the carbureted quad.
Haul 2 quads and a dirt bike regularly.
Works for me! ;)

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have owned a 26' 2008 Jayco Octane since new. Still love it.
Never had an issue with fuel smell, or mud. I put down a carpet or as Tex said, use a tarp.
Turn the gas off on the carbureted quad.
Haul 2 quads and a dirt bike regularly.
Works for me! ;)

This is the same trailer that I have, Jayco Octane 26y!! Great unit.

Braaaaapppp!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 what others have said, out a tarp down and close off can for gas and don't fill up the gas to the brim otherwise expands in the heat. There is no smell once the machine is gone.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 2 different toyhaulers with the open concept no garage.

Both worked great. No issues or smells.

landownunder

Reaction score
Most toy haulers have pretty big fresh water tanks and an outdoor hose, and we usually have a lot of water left in the fresh tank when we are ready to leave. We have a 25' toyhauler with this style of garage and if our quads are covered in muskeg or are pretty nasty I usually wash them off either the evening before or the morning we leave and let them dry a bit before loading them inside - obviously only if we are camped in a spot where I can do this without leaving a mess for the next guy. I've even seen a few guys run a pressure washer off their toyhaulers, I was thinking of picking up a cheap electric one and carrying it with me. I've never had a problem with the inside of our trailer smelling at all.

We were looking at buying a new Coachmen toyhauler yesterday, and it has the sliding patio doors between the living room and garage. I think we will probably go this route for our next unit, seems like a good compromise instead of the usual pretty small door connecting the living space to the garage. A 10 or 12' garage is all we really need.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find if u try to clean it, and it's fresh wet, then will smell musty forsure

That's my look on washing before ya load them

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most toy haulers have pretty big fresh water tanks and an outdoor hose, and we usually have a lot of water left in the fresh tank when we are ready to leave. We have a 25' toyhauler with this style of garage and if our quads are covered in muskeg or are pretty nasty I usually wash them off either the evening before or the morning we leave and let them dry a bit before loading them inside - obviously only if we are camped in a spot where I can do this without leaving a mess for the next guy. I've even seen a few guys run a pressure washer off their toyhaulers, I was thinking of picking up a cheap electric one and carrying it with me. I've never had a problem with the inside of our trailer smelling at all.

We were looking at buying a new Coachmen toyhauler yesterday, and it has the sliding patio doors between the living room and garage. I think we will probably go this route for our next unit, seems like a good compromise instead of the usual pretty small door connecting the living space to the garage. A 10 or 12' garage is all we really need.

Strongly consider the 12' garage if you have the option. Most SxS units with bumpers exceed that, harder to resell a 10' garage.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing if you go with a garage and there's beds in there, make sure the heater is plumbed into it. My brother has a garage and the heater isn't plumbed into it and he freezes in late fall. Ever toy hauler I seen doesn't have heat there.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have a 32' bumper pull open concept for the last 8 yrs and we love it still no smell of gas
we try and wash the evening before as well but that has more to do with the carwash bill than the trailer

landownunder

Reaction score
Never thought about the 12' garage for a sxs, will keep that in mind. I did notice the Coachmen we looked at did have heat and a/c ducts to the garage. I never noticed on the other units we looked at.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would sell my bumper pull toy hauler for a good deal. It's 29' Boogie box with built in generator.

Steve Slade

Reaction score
I would have liked to go open floor plan but wife wanted separate garage. But never any problems with smell not even in the garage area. Only has a ten foot garage so I can't fit sleds and I'm looking at getting an XMR maverick in the future but I don't know if that will even fit have not tried one in there yet. I really didn't do my homework before buying. A 12 foot garage would have solved all my problems. Sleds and SXS would have fit perfectly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have liked to go open floor plan but wife wanted separate garage. But never any problems with smell not even in the garage area. Only has a ten foot garage so I can't fit sleds and I'm looking at getting an XMR maverick in the future but I don't know if that will even fit have not tried one in there yet. I really didn't do my homework before buying. A 12 foot garage would have solved all my problems. Sleds and SXS would have fit perfectly.

No a xmr won't fit. They are a lot longer then a ranger 900 and the ranger only has about 3" to spare in a 10' garage.

Top Bottom