Toy Hauler/ Generator question

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I bought a new toy hauler, The place I bought it from will install a push button (From inside) start generator for me for 4000 bucks... I want to be able to do that.... But I can also get one of thsoe generators for about 5-700 bucks.. Just wondering... Is there anything to stop me from getting my own and using that one? Is there going to be something specific about thiers that makes it specific to work off the push button start? Thanks in advance

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just buy one with a push button start and just relocate the start button. 4000 sounds steep.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a Yamaha on wheels. I believe it's a 3200. Less than 3k and you can add remote start. Mine runs ac no problem. Also a 4000 watt Rockford system with 2-15" 2-12" subs and 7 sets of separates. The reason I diddnt get a built in is noise and reliability. 10 yrs now and my yami hasn't missed a beat. It's beyond quiet. I chain it to a tree or something away from the trailer. With the remote I can start and stop it from bed :)

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have the owan 5500 watt and bought it installed from factory with remote switch on our voltage, have ran it now over 250 hrs and we were down in the dessert it ran ll three air conditioners, it draws fuel from our toy hauler fuel tanks and tank capacity is 30 gallons:D:D

Don't think I could back to the back aching, cord pulling, loud gens anymore

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's as quiet as those Honda or Yamaha units and fuel is plumbed in I think it'd be worth it. For a few more bucks you should be able get them to wire in an auto start to fire it up when battery voltage gets low.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new 5500 genys that come in toyhaulers are fairly quite, but don't idle down like a Honda and that's the big difference

5500 use 1/2 gal a hour in fuel, Honda 3000 idles 20 plus hours on a say 10 l tank

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My mom and dad have a 5500 watt that runs on propane. It's so hard on propane he brings his Honda eu along and uses that instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
This is all cool... But my original question........... COULD I buy a different generator and wire it to work off of the switch in the trailer?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This link has some good info.
If built Gen. ready it sounds quite easy.

RV Generator Installation | ModMyRV :

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This is all cool... But my original question........... COULD I buy a different generator and wire it to work off of the switch in the trailer?

You knew you could and all it takes is money! There are some fine electricians on this site.

I'm sure you could doo it with solar panels but it wouldn't be very practical......:d

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a new toy hauler, The place I bought it from will install a push button (From inside) start generator for me for 4000 bucks... I want to be able to do that.... But I can also get one of thsoe generators for about 5-700 bucks.. Just wondering... Is there anything to stop me from getting my own and using that one? Is there going to be something specific about thiers that makes it specific to work off the push button start? Thanks in advance

Yes you can. I had to trouble shoot my system this year and the wiring is pretty simple actually. $4000 sounds pretty steep.

Top Bottom