Tossing around the idea of Mountain guiding... Thoughts?

BoonDockerBoy10:31

Reaction score
I did some guiding for a few groups last season and really enjoyed it. I've been riding the backcountry here (Seeley Lake, MT) for over ten years and know almost every little area there is. Do you guys think there's enough of a mountain guiding industry to get into it? If I would guide on the basis of donations instead of charging a set amount, could I get away without insurance and a guiding license? I would be happy to guide true mountain riders who want to spend all day off trail for a minimum amount or for free but if I were to guide on trail I would have to get enough money to pay for my time, as I despise trails and make it a goal to avoid them as much as possible ;). I have taken winter survival and avalanche classes but wouldn't say I'm proficient in either. I mean I practice at the beginning of every year finding beacons ect. but haven't truly spent a lot of time studying avalanche safety.

I'm currently taking online schooling and working afternoons but the crew I'm working with is going out of town and I need to decide if I'm going to find another job or attempt some guiding. I have a very flexible schedule with my school so I could guide pretty much any day throughout winter.

So what do you guys suggest?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing the same thing.

From what I have heard is the insurance ,ect cost for being a guide is big money.
And doing it without it has a big risk , as some people say one thing and do another.

Pm sent

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
IMHO, the biggest concern is the liability if something happens. They will sue you if chit happens and they will win! All is fine and dandy until one day chit comes down.

Look into the aspect of setting up teaching clinics. That way insurance and avy requirements may be much less. You get out and can take out people, teach and ride!

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you have in MT for regulations. But insurance is costly but necessary IMO. You'll also need some first aid if you want to be taken seriously, guiding companies here require min. 80hr first aid, preference is for Wilderness First Aid. For insurance in BC they base it on what type of guiding and how many you do. Also have to consider tenure of areas, if other guiding groups have tenure in areas, good luck getting access for a competing business. Around here, many areas have tenure on them already so guiding would need to be done via an existing company if you were to be legit. You're in a dif country...and would have a lot dif rules I would expect than we do in BC. :)

BoonDockerBoy10:31

Reaction score
IMHO, the biggest concern is the liability if something happens. They will sue you if chit happens and they will win! All is fine and dandy until one day chit comes down.

Look into the aspect of setting up teaching clinics. That way insurance and avy requirements may be much less. You get out and can take out people, teach and ride!

Yeah, I don't want to get sued. lol And we all know something will happen at some point and thanks for the reminder of that danger.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some good legal advice ahead of time, lots of research and proper waivers all necessary. Have to be ready for the worst case scenarios ahead of time.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have friends that guide in BC. Some love it and some say they get sick of digging newbs out all day and would rather just go riding. Buy if it pays the bills, its gotta be better than a normal day job ether way

clay923

Reaction score
Hed this by all, if anyone one of us takes the lead where one follows is accountable. pick your riding partners wisely.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I luv showing "drinking buddies" around ...

in golden I know of many "beer drinking" places for those into sleds and or snowboards ...

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ACMG and CAA are working on sled protocols and guiding certs as we speak. Nothing industry approved yet. Cowboy up and be prepared to get sued!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure a Lawyer could come up with a bullet proof waiver form for you, whereby the clients assume all liability.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It takes about 4-10 years of experience and apprenticeship to be a certified ACMG Ski guide. ACMG guides know their stuff and all the experience and knowledge they gain about safe practices and snow science should be required for a sledding guide.

Being some yokel who knows the good places to ride does not make you a guide. Guides are paid money for their experience and ability to keep their clients safe in the mountains.

Last edited:

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
The minute you accept money you are liable. If you just happened to be involved in an avalanche and someone was killed or injured you would be sued so bad you will never be able to afford to sled again. If it was as easy as owning a sled and knowing an area everyone would be doing it.I bet if you started today to become legit it would be 5 years before you actually guided someone and made any money. You would be better of finding an existing company and working tyhrough them with the hopes of learning the industry and maybe one day starting your own outfit.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
When we moved to BC, we started a B&B. I sort of thought the "guiding" aspect would work well with that enterprise; sleds in the winter, quads in the summer. Well, finding out that $20,000 was needed for insurance and the applicable avy courses just for the sledding guides, not taking into consideration the time required to do the professional avy courses, was a kicker. Needless to say guiding was a pipe dream.

The advice of working for an existing enterprise seems sound and will put everything into perspective.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing good in life comes easy,, If its your dream do what you got to do:beer:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regarding using a waiver, you need to use one that outlines the risks associated with sledding and we all know there are many. Use of a well-crafted waiver will help avoid nuisance suits but anyone can sue you for anything and you will need to defend yourself in court. That is why you need insurance. If you like I can do some checking with some Montana brokers who can obtain coverage. Even getting an application to look at should tell you if you want to pursue this. Let me know I you would like to follow up on this. Cheers

Top Bottom