Torpy/McGregor Area 2012-2013 Riding Conditions

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i do not see raising the fees helping raise money for the groomer
wouldn't it be better to have several people chip in and give 5-10-20 bucks

And that too... But they need a steady income they can count on to pad the coffers and buy fuel. Donations may or may not cut it, and then what? Grooming is expensive!! (And so are my chiropractic bills... Hehe)

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem is the very large amount of people that ride the Torpy that do not support the Club by buying memberships. If every single person that rides that area on a regular basis actually bought memberships....then I think it is basically common sense that there would be more money for grooming, etc. Donating money is definitely another awesome idea, we all know that fuel to run the groomer isn't cheap. I know our dealership here in town doesn't have a problem with taking in donations for the club, they also sell memberships....I don't see why any dealership would have a problem with this!? And if so....you support the dealerships by buying their products (sleds, oil, parts, clothing, etc) so they should support the local club where you ride that sled you bought from them! It's a no-brainer! I think of it this way.....if you have no place to ride your sled....these same dealerships would go down the tubes pretty fast! I don't believe that buying memberships should be an option.....it is the right thing to do for many reasons. It is less than $100 and we all know how much we spend as sledders in a season....and that is like a drop in the bucket. There is no reason why we couldn't also donate a little money along the way too....I know the club has put on 50/50 rides and poker rides also to generate money. I really think a donate link on their website from PayPal would be another awesome idea too. I'd like to hear some more suggestions on how to come up with creative ways to donate money. I'd also like to take this time to thank the volunteers that work on the groomer to get it up and running....and the guy who gives up a whole day riding so we can have a smooth trail. Thanks also to the executive of the club, that fights for riding areas on our behalf. They are the unsung heroes. :)

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• AST1jan19PG.jpg
    AST1jan19PG.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 219

TurboCobra

Reaction score
Just attended a PG SnoMo Club meeting last night. Someone commented that the Torpy Cabin is in pretty rough shape (lots of garbage in there). I personally abandoned this club house and refused to take any more garbage out after the first 4-5 years after club members built it. This unfortunate to let the "Prince George Rides for Free Club" take it over, and realize there is no support from a local dealer that used to prowdly fly his sign there.... My last comment; "I hope you Torpy Riders get a good B*T*CH session after getting back to you trucks because the trail/road is sooooo rough and you won't donate a nickle to grooming... Suck-it up princess :)

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did this course last year. It is great a real eye opener.

That's awesome! Yeah, it's crazy what a person doesn't know before they take their AST1! Ryan from Hangfire will also offer the field day at the Torpy as a refresher for those of you who already have their AST1.....I'm really trying to coordinate things so my hubby and I can do the field day, just have to find out if work will take a backseat that weekend :(

mountainmonster

Reaction score
To be a part of the the refresher in the field do we need to pre register or can we just show up and pay in the field?

jeremy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just attended a PG SnoMo Club meeting last night. Someone commented that the Torpy Cabin is in pretty rough shape (lots of garbage in there). I personally abandoned this club house and refused to take any more garbage out after the first 4-5 years after club members built it. This unfortunate to let the "Prince George Rides for Free Club" take it over, and realize there is no support from a local dealer that used to prowdly fly his sign there.... My last comment; "I hope you Torpy Riders get a good B*T*CH session after getting back to you trucks because the trail/road is sooooo rough and you won't donate a nickle to grooming... Suck-it up princess :)

When you were at the meeting TC, did they happen to give any contact information for the Groomer Operator or anybody in charge of donation. I've been trying to get a hold of someone for 3 weeks now to donate diesel for the groomer.

Or anybody who reads this, send me their contacts please

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you were at the meeting TC, did they happen to give any contact information for the Groomer Operator or anybody in charge of donation. I've been trying to get a hold of someone for 3 weeks now to donate diesel for the groomer.

Or anybody who reads this, send me their contacts please

text me ill give you a guy

Reaction score
500-75000 for vehicle and or trailer to get sleds to Torpy
1500-25000 for sleds to ride Torpy
100-5000 for riding gear
40-60 for sled gas per sled every time you ride
70+ for vehicle fuel to get there every time you go
10+ for food and drinks per day per person every time you go.
+++++++ other costs which I am forgetting

Now aside from all the other benefits to the sport from joining the club why would anyone not want to spend 75-95 once a year to ride groomed trail rather then a kidney and back destroying mogul field.

Just my 2 cents

Hard to argue the numbers.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I could care less if I ride groomed trails or not. If they are groomed that's great and I'm willing to donate to it. If they are not, oh well. I will ride where ever I want, groomed or not. I don't ride in areas because they are groomed. The only time I will bitch about it is when I pay and the trail is pounded. Then I ride the next time for free. Has happened a couple of times in the past 20 years.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blame that guy on the pro near the end lol, what bullchit that is, are those people completely dense?

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will see more and more of these stories because there are more and more people riding in the closed areas around PG. There are a few here at S&M that ride in, or have in the past, as noted in past comments posted here. These are the people that are ruining our sport. What part of do not enter don't they understand?
Here we go again.....as seen on CKPG News tonight :(

Snowmobilers Impacting Caribou In Region - YouTube

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will see more and more of these stories because there are more and more people riding in the closed areas around PG. There are a few here at S&M that ride in, or have in the past, as noted in past comments posted here. These are the people that are ruining our sport. What part of do not enter don't they understand?

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that they've been riding in closed areas. All one has to do on a clear day is look over the Torpy river to see the tracks clear across from the Burn. Very sad considering these azzhats are ruining it for the sledders that comply. And most of them are the ones vandalizing our safety shelter and leaving their garbage behind. :nono:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok...let's get this thread back on track to the riding conditions! :cool: Rode the Burn yesterday on a blue bird day, the trail in was groomed...but unusually rough until Pass Lake, and quite smooth from Pass Lake until the Burn. Noticed quite a few sleds going in at 4 km. The Burn is in really good shape. Up top, found about 8-12 inches of fresh....much more in the trees and if you know where to go to find all the untracked stuff. Had an awesome day, much better than expected. An interesting note....I probed 6 feet in the last meadow so snow levels are definitely down this year. On a positive note, it was snowing like heck when we were heading back. :d:d

Attachments

• DSC_5431.jpg
    DSC_5431.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_5446.jpg
    DSC_5446.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC_5458.jpg
    DSC_5458.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC_5484.jpg
    DSC_5484.jpg