To spur the pipeline debate

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do they expect the refinery to absorb the increase when all along we have been told that refining oil is a very low margin business.

It seems as if information is tailored to each situation as needed. This time, margins are thick enough, when we say refine here, margins are too thin.

Farkin politics.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
A friend of mine works for a marketing company in the oil and gas sector. The problem with building new refineries is the government will not grandfather any emission laws that are current now. It could take 5 years or more before a refinery comes on line for sales to market. So they max capacitate the old and tired refineries to produce fuels for market consumption. They're oldest plant was built in 1967 and is constantly being repaired. There are no new plans in the future for new facilities with his employer.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is it cheaper to bring it in from Saudi Arabia then Alberta?

I'm guessing Chevron made a screw up and didn't negotiate a good contract and are now caught with there pants down. This is a prime example how having limited capacity going to the coast creates alot of competition for the limited amount of available crude. Good example of how key a pipeline expansion to that area is... supply and demand...

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is going to be a time that if this pipeline goes through and no new refineries are built in Canada, we will end up buying our own oil back from china or the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is going to be a time that if this pipeline goes through and no new refineries are built in Canada, we will end up buying our own oil back from china or the US.

100% right! 10year lead time to build a new refinery (if you were allowed to build one) and these old ones are doing nothing but get older. Plenty of refining for Canada when everything is running but everyone should remember the diesel shortage last fall, right when the whole oilfield was gearing up for winter season. If that wasn't a wakeup call, I don't know what is.

They complain about margins on refining but that is an essential service.

Top Bottom