To rebuild or not...2001 RMK 800 S.C 144

Caribooskibum

Reaction score
I blew my MAG side piston, cylinder, and damaged my head 7 rides (all under 50km round trip) after buying it for $4000. It has been repaired with used piston, cylinder and head.

Last edited:

Caribooskibum

Reaction score
I was told it was about $1800 just for the rebuild parts, plus labour. I'm really wondering what I should look for if they want to keep my case and crank. I really would rather a whole swap if that's the better option.

Still not too thrilled on having to replace the engine 1/2 a season after an alleged rebuild before I bought it.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told it was about $1800 just for the rebuild parts, plus labour. I'm really wondering what I should look for if they want to keep my case and crank. I really would rather a whole swap if that's the better option.

Still not too thrilled on having to replace the engine 1/2 a season after an alleged rebuild before I bought it.

1800 is more than likely parts and labour if not you better take some vaseline with ya

Caribooskibum

Reaction score
Ha! I think I've already used up one tub of vaseline when I had to pay for a Mag side rebuild with used parts. I'm not one to do things half assed, but the shop had already done the work without telling me.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I'm new to sledding. But what does a rebuild usually entail? Is it just jugs and pistons? Or for that $1800 do they work on your crank and crankcase as well? It already has a bearing upgrade, but I'm not sure what brand.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't rebuild it until you figure out why the MAG side keeps blowing. Something is wrong if you have replaced the same side twice within 500kms. Take it to a different shop and have them diagnose the problem before they fix anything. No point in throwing money at something without fixing why its broken in the first place.

Caribooskibum

Reaction score
I think you have a great point modman. I'm thinking that my crank is not indexed/bent. That's just from going over the 'troubleshooting' section in the repair manual and comparing symptoms that I had before I blew it up. The told me at the shop it was bad gas that blew it up, but I'm not buying that.

Being in a small town and having purchased this used sled from a dealer, I do feel a bit of mandatory loyalty to him. Now that it has blown up and been repaired by him; my dues are paid. The real question is...should I run this sled with the used Mag side they just rebuilt for me? Or find out why it blew up from someone else?

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me
bought a 2001 800 with a 03 engine in it
third time out the mag side blew a piston not sure why but I think something came apart
I found a complete 03 motor for 500 that had a broken crank
got a new crank and put in 2 new pistons
cost about 1600 bucks total including motor and did all the work myself but had the crank and pistons put in buy a local shop just so it was torqued up properly
everything seems good so far
the crank I put in has the heavy duty pto brg also
I think it came out of rec supply in saskatoon
I have a good pot with the ves and head if you are interested
thats all thats left of my old motor

Top Bottom