To keep or not to keep

Reaction score
Last spring my dad suprised me with a 2001 400 ex (bored out to 440) that looked like all it needed was plastic. Boy was he wrong. Since I've had it I bet its been getting fixed more then I've gotten to ride it. We had to buy a new frame (somehow the guy broke it in 3 places...wtf?!?) a new swingarm, new chain and sprocket, brand new plastics and I some other stuff I dont remeber but since then all my gear is rockstar so I got some rockstar stickers and put them on and Ive grown fond of the quad....besides that recently the oil tank leaked and I almost seized it. Now it runs but smokes alot....I want to get a new engine but I dont think my dad wants to I think he wants to buy me a new quad. After all this money spent on this quad...should I get a new one or not??
What do you think???:confused:

sledneck48

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of a toss up bought a used z400 couple years ago had som problems ended up replacin the valves did lots of work on the swing arm and fixed a bunch of other problems but it turned out to be a vary reliable machine.

Then i decided to buy a used 06 ltr and blew it up a few weeks later. Fixed that one now it pretty reliable.

But i vowed ill never buy used again. So id recomend goin new if ur going to

sledneck48

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And if your going buy a new one definatly get Fuel Injection. so much nicer to be ridin when ur friends are jetting. I'd go LTR but but thats just my 2cents

Reaction score
Well what I think my dad was thinking was either a Polaris Outlaw 450 or a Can Am DS450 if I were to get a new quad

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last spring my dad suprised me with a 2001 400 ex (bored out to 440) that looked like all it needed was plastic. Boy was he wrong. Since I've had it I bet its been getting fixed more then I've gotten to ride it. We had to buy a new frame (somehow the guy broke it in 3 places...wtf?!?) a new swingarm, new chain and sprocket, brand new plastics and I some other stuff I dont remeber but since then all my gear is rockstar so I got some rockstar stickers and put them on and Ive grown fond of the quad....besides that recently the oil tank leaked and I almost seized it. Now it runs but smokes alot....I want to get a new engine but I dont think my dad wants to I think he wants to buy me a new quad. After all this money spent on this quad...should I get a new one or not??
What do you think???:confused:

I wouldn't spend anymore money on that thing, just sell it, get as much as you can and buy new or a newer used quad. I'd get a 450 not another 400, but thats my opinion, I think its a waste when people bore out and invest all this money into 400's that there not racing. When they could just buy a 450 and be done with it. I wouldn't focus on how much money you invested into the quad, but the good times you did have on it, and the things you learned keepin it goin. Your dad had his heart in the right place when buying it.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pitch it and leave it. Sometimes everyone has to cut their loss's. Take the time and look for another one. New or used.

They are all good, and they are all bad..........new or used.

Just my 2 cent's

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is coming from someone with a 450 i would not buy a 450 unless you want to race or ride on a track, or want to mod it for serious power, they will beat you up a bit more riding them and they all take more servicing to keep them up, pesonally i would get a 700 raptor or 700xx. if you dont care to be the fastest or a heavy quad find a ds650, i am sure it would survive a nuclear blast, hands down the toughest quad ever built.

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend anymore money on that thing, just sell it, get as much as you can and buy new or a newer used quad. I'd get a 450 not another 400, but thats my opinion, I think its a waste when people bore out and invest all this money into 400's that there not racing. When they could just buy a 450 and be done with it. I wouldn't focus on how much money you invested into the quad, but the good times you did have on it, and the things you learned keepin it goin. Your dad had his heart in the right place when buying it.

to be completely honest i would way rather have my 440 than any 450, and even though my quad has a pipe, bore kit, hot cam and some other stuff it is way more reliable than friends 450s and will keep up with em and once i get the 450r carb, and have it bored to a 500 stroker its gonna be hard to keep up with and probably still be more reliable than the 450s

Reaction score
this is coming from someone with a 450 i would not buy a 450 unless you want to race or ride on a track, or want to mod it for serious power, they will beat you up a bit more riding them and they all take more servicing to keep them up, pesonally i would get a 700 raptor or 700xx. if you dont care to be the fastest or a heavy quad find a ds650, i am sure it would survive a nuclear blast, hands down the toughest quad ever built.

Well I do ride at the track

Top Bottom