tire upgrade for grizzly

keith660

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I was just wondering what you think will work best for a 06 grizzly. I am interested in 3 tire selections. I like the mud lite xl's, mud bugs, and the mudzilla's. Are the mudzilla's as smooth riding as the ads claim. My brother has the mud lites 25" and thinks they're great, I like the aggressive look of the mudzilla's, would 27" tires do any damage to the bike (axles, belt etc...)

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
None of those tires will hurt the grizz, but you'll find that low range will be required much more often with 27 inch tires. The grizz has a high CoG; 27s will make this worse. The grizz has good brakes and can handle any tire that will fit in the fenders.

Mudzilla
  • Heaviest of your choices. (Rotating mass eats up horse power)(Heavy tires will wear out bearings tie rod ends, etc slightly faster)
  • Excellent side bite (tracks straight while spinning)
  • Moderate/poor forward bite (ability to move quad forward vs digging down)
  • Relatively expensive
  • Very durable and puncture resistant
Mud Bugs
  • Heavier than mud lites but lighter than mudzillas
  • Durable and puncture resistant
  • Good forward bite
  • Moderate side bite
  • Good value
Mud lites
  • Lightest of your choices
  • Good forward bite
  • Moderate side bit
  • Great price
  • Most likely to puncture
  • Will wear out the fastest of your choices.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have 26' mud lites on my 07, 700 and they really chew. I have heard that swamp lites are o.k. too. My friend also has a 700 and he has 27' and has not had any trouble.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mudbugs weight exactly the same as Mudlites (within a couple oz).....with waaay better tread for mud. My buddy is an auto tire dealer and gets ATV tires in for "the gang"....we weighed some 27" Mudlites and Mudbugs.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weight of Mudbugs and Mudlites do not require a scale. Pick them up.

From ITP Website: 27" Mudlite XLs -> 27.8LBS

From Maxxis website: 27" Mudbugs -> 34.8lbs.

No one who has ever used or mounted these two tires would say they are the same weight.

Yes, the Mudbugs have the better forward bite in mud.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if it was the fronts or the rears....so they were either 10's or 12's....but the weight was near the same.....and I have mounted and ran both. We tried a set of Lites when they first came out and got a bunch of flat tires, so we went back to the Bugs. I don't care what the website says....

keith660

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, it seems like the maxxis mud bugs might be a good choice. Out of the three tire selections I can get the mud bugs at royal dist. in Ontario cheaper than the mud lite's or mudzilla's.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I like my 26" mudlites I put the fronts on backwards to see how it goes through the mud. I want to see if it pulls the mud "in" so the back tires can bite it rather than throwing it out of the way for the back tires to dig deeper. Then if i get stuck I get more traction in reverse to push out.....all in thought still not proven

keith660

Reaction score
I ended up buying 27" mud bugs, got a great price at Dream cycle in ottawa, ontario. $330.00 for two-27-10-12, two 27-8-12.

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I was just wondering what you think will work best for a 06 grizzly. I am interested in 3 tire selections. I like the mud lite xl's, mud bugs, and the mudzilla's. Are the mudzilla's as smooth riding as the ads claim. My brother has the mud lites 25" and thinks they're great, I like the aggressive look of the mudzilla's, would 27" tires do any damage to the bike (axles, belt etc...)

I just bought some Maxxis Zilla's for my quad and they are the best all around tire I have ever had. They are based on the MudZilla tread but somewhat smaller and very light. They are more agressive that the mudlites and swamplites and I would suggest that you may want to ck into those also if you get a chance.......

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i mean BEARCLAWS excuse my french heheh

My buddy has a set he will sel you. cheap. Onl reason i say cheap is because they are JUNK. D some more research and then buy. I have mud lites and like them and my buddy has swamp lites and likes them. But the 4th guy that rides with us has bear claws and they are junk and even he said he needs different tires and these ones only hav 50km on them.

Top Bottom